View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022   #5
mlipmd

Default Re: Another antenna failure

A follow-up ----

I was able to grab and turn and remove the nut without removing the grommet, using a 90 degree needle nose pliers which seemed perfect for the job.
The whole antenna and cable just came right out without any resistance or pulling at all.
I cannot tell if the cable had snapped, the end does not appear to have recently broken, it and the rest of the cable have some black grease on it which looks fairly good, not dried out or hard.
With the antenna fully retracted the cable measures 36" from the lower end to the tip of the antenna, with the antenna fully extended there is 3" of cable sticking out at the bottom end. There are no teeth missing from the cable and it doesn't appear to be worn down or smoothed out.
Does anyone know how long this cable is, or should I just try to rethread it into the motor and see if it grabs and works? Could the end of my cable just have come off the spool?

I think I found out why my radio reception is so poor and staticky (a word?). The lower collar is supposed to be the electrical connection to the antenna, mine is covered in black grease and those little projecting tabs are flush with the collar instead of bending outwards to contact the sleeve inside the grommet. Well see how it works after I clean it up and get it reinstalled.
The poor reception is probably not related to the HU because that was completely redone and CDs and cassettes play perfectly clear and sharp.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote