View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019   #28
spork2367

Default Re: $15,000 for an LT-5 motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
First, let's clarify something; Because it was stored in a wooden box doesn't make it a "crate engine" in the truest sense of the phrase as it applies to new LT5 engines manufactured and specially prepared for storage, specifically for GM SPO use.

This engine is a real pig in a poke compared to a bona fide Crate engine.
I had a long winded response typed up, but it's unimportant. I work in a facility where we crate and preserve every single engine we build.

When you say "bona fide", that only applies to the crate engines AS RECEIVED FROM GM or an authorized shop. And I guarantee that was and still is GM's definition as well.

After joe blow bought it, there is no "bona fide". You have no idea how it was stored or what was or wasn't done with it. Can you guarantee that crate engine on Ebay was stored in climate controlled conditions? The sticker on the box doesn't mean anything.

And finally, no engine manufacturer (outside of the military) would put a 23+ year shelf life on crate engines. Call GM today and ask what their guaranteed shelf life is on an LS crate engine... With the highest level of preservation we offer, our engine shelf life is 1 year. That is on an engine that costs 55k+. Preservation beyond a year involves priming oil pumps, rotating the engine, etc. Not one LT5 in existence was crated and preserved with a 23 year guarantee.

Every one of these motors is a crap shoot unless you pull the entire thing apart.

Whether or not it was a good deal is more of an opinion based issue. So we can agree to disagree on that.

Last edited by spork2367; 03-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote