View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018   #8
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

Ever since I've owned the 94.....my AC has never been really cold and sometimes it just felt like regular outside air coming through the vents......just never got around to checking things out.....until now....
My compressor doesn't engage at all.....(I have not jumped the switch).....although the AC clutch turns freely inside the pulley..
And I don't have the "low freon" code.....so I did some research and decided to change out the AC clutch bearing..... I have also noticed for about the last 6 times or so that I used the Z.....that upon startup I was hearing a bearing noise that would last for a few minutes and then disappear..... I thought maybe it was the water pump....but no leaks there....and it wasn't the alternator.....so I'm thinking could it be the AC clutch bearing....
I figure try that first without removing the plenum....and if that doesn't work....well then...... I would assume some other parts may be defective.....or the compressor would be shot......
So here are some pics of the removal of the parts necessary to get to the clutch bearing......
In pic #1 & 2....
I had to figure out the best way to lock the compressor in order to remove the 10mm bolt in the center of the pulley....as you can see a large vise grips was used to keep anything from moving......and a 1/4 ratchet and 10mm socket to undo the bolt....as you know.....there is very little room to maneuver anything in that space.....
Pic #3 shows the AC clutch removed....and you may also be able to see a snap ring in place to keep the pulley secured......
In pic #4......it is highly unlikely that the pulley will just slide off with hand pressure....so again with limited space I used the 2 hammer method.....rotating the pulley after a few hammer taps....it finally slid off.....20180705_152051.jpg20180705_152107.jpg20180705_152801.jpg20180705_155317.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote