View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015   #82
QB93Z

Default Re: 2015 ZR-1 Road Trip to pick up my new (to me) 1995 Purple ZR-1

On Thursday, we left Phoenix and drove north in I-17 heading for Sedona, AZ. Our plan was to drive the Red Rock Scenic Byway, AZ-179.

The Byway is well marked. When entering from the south, you enter Coconino National Forest and there is a very well staffed Ranger Station for maps, information and souvenirs. The first developed area encountered is Oak Creek, AZ. The view of the surrounding landscapes are stunning.

There are numerous pull off that allow viewing and photography. The areas around the towns contain many well marked hiking trails.

I must report that the roads and viewing areas were fairly crowded and congested. The best areas we found for viewing were near the Sedona Airport and along Upper Red Rock Loop Road on the western side of Sedona.

We left Sedona and drove North to Falstaff and then East to Holbrook, AZ. Our lodging for the night is Teepee #3 of The Wigwam Motel. Each "room" is a separate teepee with a double bed, desk, table, and chairs. There is a full bath, AC and cable TV. It is very retro and a lot of fun.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote