View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015   #26
Dynomite

Default Re: Changing oil...Let it drain overnight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Cliff... Don't confuse me with the facts - I'VE ALREADY MADE UP MY MIND!

I guess this all started with leaving the drain plug out over nite so as to get that last drop out...seems rather moot when it still retains a quart or more in the cooler and other places, no? I don't see what's difference a few drops leaving it drip over nite would make against a quart+ that remains in there: left over nite or not? I don't think it does. Besides... 10+ quarts of fresh SYNTHETIC oil mixed with a quart+ of slightly used SYNTHETIC oil doesn't seem worth all the fuss, no?

OMG...!! We've forgotten the perpetuation of diminishing proportions aspect! Think about it: Somewhere in that crank case there is some of the original oil still running around!
You guys always get me calculating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
I remember reading the service instructions for the 3.8L turbo Buicks. After an oil drain/refill and filter change, the tech was to disable the ignition and turn the engine over until oil pressure is attained.

Could probably be done with the LT5 as well.
That is exactly like my experiment where I find the oil filter is filled in about 50 revolutions of the crankshaft with NO rod pressure on the rod journals (cranking the engine by hand). Yes...that does make sense but then again.....I think there is the majority of LT5s that have been fired up with drained back oil filters for years and with well over 100,000 miles on the engines with NO noticeable adverse wear on the Rod or Main bearings from what we would call a potential dry start up. I surmise from that the oil maintained on the journals is plenty to prevent metal to metal contact of the rod bearings/journals for a short period of no oil pressure. I further suggest that this oil maintained on the journals resides there for a very long period of time (months if not years).

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote