View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014   #11
Hog

Default Re: Questions about Callaway Twin Turbo Drivability????

I've heard that story a lot regarding TPI. LB9 and L98 350 were introduced for the 1985 IROC-Z and 85 Corvette respectively. The L98 was about 3/4 of a second quicker in the 1/4 mile over the 1984 Cross Fire Injection.
Another is the way the TPI works, its reasonance frequency literally "supercharges" the intake air into the cylinder. This is why the TPI makes incredible mid rpm torque. Gen 2 LT1 SBC couldnt touch L98's 350lb/ft of peak torque, but excelled in other areas. But operate the TPI ouside of the resonance rpms and this effect is muted and other restrictive forces take over.
Literally forcing the air through like what happens in these B2K cars, would help out this upper rpm starve off.

The SLP diamesed runners help, as do the larger Arzona Speed and Marine.
The TPI runners that were to be used on the 1992 (Heritage??) Camaros that were to be outfitted with the ZF 6 speed would also be a great find.

7.5:1 c/r doesnt help to make an engine feel responsive, the 2.9 liter Ferarri F40 also used a low 7.7:1 c/r to make 470+ hp with DOHC and 16 psi of boost.
I'd love to see a B2K with some modern combustion chambers that would allow some increase in static compression. I did a Vortec 355/TPI and it worked well without any exotica. I can only dream of how that would behave with a couple turbos breathing on it.

Were all B2k Corvettes speed density, or did they follow GM's 85-89 MAF then 90-92 Speed density routine?
Those early GM MAFs were horrible flowwise.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote