View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013   #16
alnukem

Default Re: So...How much does it cost to build a 380 cube ZR1?

Thought we should conclude this thread for people that might be looking to rebuild or increase their displacement.

From Polo-1;

A 380ci should be in the 475rwhp 430rwtq range. Better porting, intake cams...
I would think you could hit 500-515rwhp without too much problems.

Stock cranks have been offset ground forever. Most grinds are .100 as the normal cut. The LT5 offset started with Mike Ebert's 396ci motors, I think. The crank guy I used said it has a ton of meat in it and is a high quality unit. I went with 3.750 (3.66 stock) It looks like it can be pushed out 3.775 without any problems. The SBC small journal bearings come in .001 - .030 under size, so thats not a problem.

Like I have said before, I have done the MEGA $$$ 402ci build. If it were for me or anyone else, go for the 380 it's only a few hundred over the 368 build.

From Paul Workman;

All very intoxicating, I must say. (Y'all got me starting to drool over a 380 w/ some cams now...)

I ran some numbers based on rwhp/cid for fully ported350s w/intake cams for those of us with "mortal" 350s (est. 450 rwhp) and Pete's insane 474 rwhp 350. For a 380 ci the proportions work out to between 489 rwhp (w/cams) for us "normal" peeps, to 515 rwhp for a setup like Pete's. (He says he keeps the magic formula burried in a Mason jar in his backyard. Maybe that explains why there's so many little pot holes in his back yard...Spoze?)

Anywayz... north of 480 rwhp would make for a lot of low 11-sec LT5s when the team ZR-1 Net Registry makes a run on the club trophy next fall! (But, unless I win the lottery, I'll just have to be happy with my 500+hp, Nikasil 350 (oh, the horror!)

Fun topic!

P.

From GOLDCYLON;

380 bottom end with full top end porting including the heads and Long tube headers and petes cams = the biggest bang for the buck.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote