View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013   #69
A1990

Default Re: Drag Racing at BG

Let me interject my thoughts into this subject. These opinions are strictly my own and not that of the Board of Directors.

1) First and foremost I would love to see drag racing at the Gathering

2) The Registry has never paid for drag racing, the participants always paid for their racing.

3) For $1500 the track could be rented without safety equipment, without track prep and without timing devices. This amount was for initially 8 racers, then it became 8-10, then may we could sneak a few more on if we didn't make a scene. I have seen maybe 8 people say they are willing to drag race. For $2500 we would have all of the items listed above.

4) I am sure that Beech Bend does have insurance.

5) While the Registry does have assets of approximately $40,000, only $25,000 is in cash and belongs to all the members. Equally to those in Spain, Australia, California, Illinois, Kentucky and so on.

6) There is a test & tune on Saturday night available to all.

So the question becomes what responsibility does the Registry incur if it "pays" for the drag racing for the 1st time and what is the consequence if 15 cars race and something happens? Beech Bend's insurance will surely specify that we breached the contract by having more that 8 cars and they are out of the line of fire.

Keep in mind that we are not piggy-backing onto another event, onto another organizations responsibility, we would be doing this ourselves.

Should we have D&O insurance? Absolutely!

Shouldn't this event have been planned and done correctly so that the $2500 option taken? Absolutely.

Should the entire membership fund this event? I don't know...

The proposal presented to the Board was that the Registry fund at least in part (50% was likely) drag racing on a track without safety equipment, without timing devices, without track prep and to exceed the number of people in the contract.

I want drag racing, but I couldn't say "yes" to that.

So the question really comes down to should we pay $2500 to do it right?
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote