View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: which battery tender is the best to use?

I used to maintain remote radio equipment on mountain tops and the like, and became quite familiar with lead acid battery maintenance. We used some sophisticated (LaMarche) charging units that did essentially what the chip developed by Texas Instrument does, only on a large scale. (Marc Haibeck has details on this "TI"chip on his website.)

The BIG difference between simple float chargers and the more sophisticated "smart chargers" is their ability to do a variety of tasks - but in short, extend the useful life of the battery without (and here's a key point) over-charging resulting in loss of electrolyte (boiling).

The brand name Battery Tender has the smart chip in them that Marc refers to, as some others may well have too.

I bought a pair of the little, wall-mouted "waterproof" 800mA Battery Tenders; one for Ami's 69 C3 and one for the Z. The battery in Ami's Vette is a WalMart unit that is now in it's 8th year and still cranks that 11:1 CR L46 like new - far as I can tell. And the battery in the Z is in its 6th year - also on the 800 mA Battery Tender, and it too cranks like a new battery would.**

**Course the only way to properly assess the batteries is to load test them and see how the compare to new ones. I'm not saying they're "good as new", cuz I've never done a formal load test on them. But, I can testify that practically speaking, initially cranking - in freezing temperatures I might add - they whip both the LT5 (which only takes about 3 seconds) and the more stubborn carb'ed 350 cid - which has to prime the carb via the mechanical fuel pump - w/o any signs of fatigue in starting.

So, if it is a "smart charger" e.g., the Battery Tenders and likely some others now as well, those are the ones to consider, IMO. The BTs have a terrific reputation for quality and long service - even surviving some horendous lightning voltage spikes (in my case).

Hope this helps.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote