View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012   #8
scottfab

Default Re: Please help with alternator whine in speakers and popping noise when powering on/

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Aod,

Lets start withe the alternator whine. What you need is a 3300 microfaraday axial capacitor.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12424820

This capacitor is wired on the output of the alternator and grounded on to the side of the alternator (one of the alt. housing bolt). Make sure arrow on the side of the capacitor is from the pos. to ground (current flow). 90% sure this will take out the whine.

Not sure what a "microfaraday" is. I was taught in college the unit of measure is "farad" so "microfarad" would be the correct term.
Also this part would be inappropriate I sorry to say in two respects.
1. It is an electrolytic and as such does not do well against fast ripple. What you want is ceramic and not anywhere near that high a value is needed. The stock wiring from GM will have a large diameter wire to the battery. The battery acts as a HUGE cap. If the use of a cap here helps then there is a major problem with either the battery connection, wire itself or the connection at the alternator.
2. The temp range of that cap will not survive on the alternator. It's max is 185 deg F. It get's much hotter then that near the V. Full specs are here:
http://www.sourceresearch.com/nte/nt...ge=nev-neh.pdf

As for "ground loop isolators" otherwise known as signal transformers this may help but .... I'd be pissed at the harness manufacturer if this is so since they claim to be compatible with Bose. I do think this is the case here and is why I asked for a wiring diagram from the vendor to be posted. Generally I think this is a fly-by-night vendor just scooping up $ for a piece of crap. I'm waiting the hear what a new head unit and harness does. (as was posted)

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote