ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Check Engine Soon :( (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=825)

Patton 08-29-2005 09:02 PM

Check Engine Soon :(

Hey Fellas,

Just got back from over seas, stored vette (94 ZR1) by the book. She sat for 8 months and initially after I brought her out of hibernation there were no problems at all. Alittle sluggish at first but what woman wouldnt be after 8 months of neglect! So anyway, the problem started about a month after my return. The check engine soon light poped on, and limited my revs to 3000rpms. I went straight to a dealer and the dealer pulled these DTC's 0031 - CAM Sensor Circuit, 0056 - Secondary Inlet Valve, and 0061 - Port Throttle.
So, the mechanic tells me he is scared to death of LT5s and wont touch it any further, he was the resident vette expert. Is this something i can fix easily by maybe replacing a relay somewhere and this guy just didnt know it? Has anybody ealse experienced this problem?? The engine runs totally fine otherwise but I can definetly notice that it isnt at "full" and the 3k rpm limiter is very annoying but kind of nice now that milk is cheaper than gas. I went from 12mpg to 18mpg average. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

By the way, anybody know a mechanic in the Sacramento area that works on ZR1s?? If not I need to buy some books and have some serious studying to do before i go tearing plenums off and whatnot. Thanks abunch in advance!

Jeffvette 08-29-2005 09:59 PM

Feel like coming up to Portland.

I'll give you some tips when I get home from work.

Bill 08-29-2005 10:32 PM

Hey Patton, It looks like we are neighbors. :handshak: I'm in Elk Grove. I'm learning my LT5, I've had the plenum off a couple of times (2 to be exact). Maybe we should get together for a cup of coffee, and talk over our cars :blahblah:

Bill

Jeffvette 08-29-2005 11:42 PM

Here you go Patton.

Code 31, camshaft sensor. Do the basics. Check the wires for any pinching or nicks for false grounds. Unplug and look for any corrosion. Spray with some electronics cleaner and plug in. Clear codes and start again. Very rarely do these sensors go bad. But if you do wind up replacing them check to make sure the replacement has the same diameter as the original I have picked up a few that were not in spec.

Code 56 is a map sensor code. It's either seeing low voltage/low vacuum or high voltage/high vacuum. It can be set with a code 61 Secondary port throttle valve. More than likely on this it will boil down to a faulty actuator or vacuum hose/fitting.

tccrab 08-29-2005 11:56 PM

Patton:
I've just last week received the Helms manuals for my '90 ZR1. Be glad to help any way I can.
I'm in Folsom.
I should be around this weekend, maybe we can hook up.

Crabs

Z Factor 08-30-2005 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton
Hey Fellas,

Just got back from over seas

Welcome back, and thank you for your service. :handshak:

Quote:

By the way, anybody know a mechanic in the Sacramento area that works on ZR1s??

This list might be able to help you.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_shops.htm#1

:cheers:

BTW- Let me suggest that you click on your User CP and put your location in the Edit Profile section. That way other ZR-1 owners will know your general location. :thumbsup:

ShawnZR-1 08-30-2005 01:12 PM

Wow, that sounds like what happend to mine earlier this year. On the advice of fellow members, I swapped the ECM out, it solved the problem.

When you have seemingly unrelated codes and errors pop up with only one common factor, it's likely the common factor.

Thanks for all of your service!

Patton 08-30-2005 07:30 PM

Jesus, how totally SCREWED would we LT5ers be with out this outstanding consolidation of experience and knowledge! Thank you very much for everybody's advice so far and I will try everything that was posted!

-Bill, KICKAZZ, I was really hoping somebody had another ZR1 around me! I am always in Elk Grove because my sister in law lives there. So hell yes we should hook up sometime, let me know whenever is good for you @ martinfr3@yahoo.com. Thanks for being so neighborly!

-Jeff, Thanks so much for the explanation of the codes and advice, Will do! As for the road trip, Portland is just a little out of my grasp at the moment, especially with her being "sick" and all right now, thanks much all the same!

-TCCrab Another neighbor!? How lucky can I get? Yes, the Helm, I have heard I need to get one! Thank you so much for the offer and hell yes I will take you up on it while I wait for mine (looking online for it). You can reach me at the aforementioned email addy.

Last but not least -Zfactor,
How’s it hanging buddy?? Long time no "type"! Still firing on all 8?
Thanks for the advice, and wilco.
As for the service part, it was my duty and pleasure! I signed up before 9/11. :thumbsup: Also, I can be recalled at any moment for four more years, in the Inactive Ready Reserve. So I’d like to enjoy my beast while I can!

tccrab 08-30-2005 10:29 PM

Helms Manual

Patton:

Looks like the '94 model year Helms manual and ZR1 suppliment is out of stock. :cry:
They have a '93 with LT5 suppliment, but I suspect that there's minor differences between the two years.
Here's a link for the '93 set.
http://tinyurl.com/dxw58

Regards,

TomC
'90ZR1

Z Factor 08-31-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Last but not least -Zfactor,
How’s it hanging buddy?? Long time no "type"! Still firing on all 8?
Thanks for the advice, and wilco.
As for the service part, it was my duty and pleasure! I signed up before 9/11. :thumbsup: Also, I can be recalled at any moment for four more years, in the Inactive Ready Reserve. So I’d like to enjoy my beast while I can!

I am doing well thank you. Hurricane Katrina gave us some flooding and power outages, but nothing compared with the poor Gulf States. My ZR-1 was safe and sound in the garage and is running great :thumbsup:

I have two cousins who are Marine Aviators over there, and I am always thinking about our boys in harms way. So anytime I get a chance to pass on a simple thank you to those who are serving I do. It is the very least that everyone should do to support those who support us.

Hopefully you will be here for some time before having to return. Regardless of how long you are back home, enjoy your KOTH as much as possible.

:cheers: