ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   92+ Shocks in my 91? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28374)

BigIke 10-10-2017 02:17 PM

92+ Shocks in my 91?

A long time ago I bought some used take off shocks from a forum member. My 1991 Juan is acting like an old Cadillac, if you push down on a corner it continues to bounce.

Today I took the front shocks out, the gears on mine are different than the lone-gear that came with the new shocks. Mine have a lot of twist, new shocks have limited twist.

Question: Can I use these 92-95 shocks in my 91? If so I need to use the old gears? Both my gears have issues, one doesn't have a stop, and the other is missing teeth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

GOLDCYLON 10-10-2017 06:56 PM

Re: 92+ Shocks in my 91?

Not without changing out the top gear to the 92-95 style. Also if your gear can be turned in circles in other words with out a stop the internals on the shock are shot. You can source new gears from Captain Z look for his website if you go that route. The only difference in the shock is the stop length in the top gear. GC

BigIke 10-10-2017 07:36 PM

Just to confirm, the new shocks don't come with gears right

GOLDCYLON 10-10-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigIke (Post 268950)
Just to confirm, the new shocks don't come with gears right

Yes they do come with gears.

BigIke 10-10-2017 09:49 PM

Time to start saving... Transmission goes on hold again... Lol

rkreigh 10-19-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigIke (Post 268944)
A long time ago I bought some used take off shocks from a forum member. My 1991 Juan is acting like an old Cadillac, if you push down on a corner it continues to bounce.

Today I took the front shocks out, the gears on mine are different than the lone-gear that came with the new shocks. Mine have a lot of twist, new shocks have limited twist.

Question: Can I use these 92-95 shocks in my 91? If so I need to use the old gears? Both my gears have issues, one doesn't have a stop, and the other is missing teeth.

yes you can, but you need to also swap out the controller box

same for going from late model to early

-=Jeff=- 10-19-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkreigh (Post 269302)
yes you can, but you need to also swap out the controller box

same for going from late model to early

Yeah this would be the easier way.. Keep in mind all 92-95 corvette FX3 controllers will work, it is not ZR-1 specific

Hib Halverson 10-19-2017 02:15 PM

Been watching this thread. Several Zroners have offered good info. There is a good article on Selective Ride Control which can be found by clicking here.

In summary...

To change a 90-91 to the 2nd design SRC, one needs: The 2nd design shocks, which will have the right gears on them, and the 2nd design controller. Note that you cannot use the early shocks with the late controller simply by changing the gear on top. It's the bypass valve inside the shock which is, also, different.

In a nutshell, the major difference between the 1st design SRC (89-91) and the 2nd design (92-95) is the speed at which the bypass valves can change states. The actuators rotate at the same speed, but the travel though which the bypass valves move is greatly reduced. Thus, the speed at which the shocks can change states increases. That makes the system more responsive.

Hope that helps.

GOLDCYLON 10-19-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 269326)
Been watching this thread. Several Zroners have offered good info. There is a good article on Selective Ride Control which can be found by clicking here.

In summary...

To change a 90-91 to the 2nd design SRC, one needs: The 2nd design shocks, which will have the right gears on them, and the 2nd design controller. Note that you cannot use the early shocks with the late controller simply by changing the gear on top. It's the bypass valve inside the shock which is, also, different.

In a nutshell, the major difference between the 1st design SRC (89-91) and the 2nd design (92-95) is the speed at which the bypass valves can change states. The actuators rotate at the same speed, but the travel though which the bypass valves move is greatly reduced. Thus, the speed at which the shocks can change states increases. That makes the system more responsive.

Hope that helps.

Hmm well the only visual difference it the length of the top gear. I had no idea the internals were different