ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   70 psi fuel pressure baffled (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34179)

Young1 07-10-2022 08:49 PM

70 psi fuel pressure baffled

Gentlemen, read my analysis carefully please.

When I got my project running 5 weeks ago the fuel pressure was 50-53 as it should be. Car sat for 5 weeks with fresh fuel and fuel pressures were as following
42 psi one pump
80 psi two pumps. 8.2 amps

I replaced the fuel filter which brought it up to
45 psi one pump
85 psi two pumps
Upon applying vacuum to the OEM Fuel Pressure Regulator there was no change so I purchased a FPR from Jerry. Nice piece BTW.

Pressures are now
51 psi one pump. Perfect.
70 psi two pumps.
80 psi spike for 2 seconds when ignition turned on.

FSM says restriction in fuel return. I disconnect the fuel return line at its union parallel to fuel filter. Slip on a rubber hose into a gas can. Retest
51 psi two pumps. Perfect.
I have a restriction between union and tank.
I carefully inspect the SS fuel line from union to tank looking for damage from a careless jack or rear end collision. All is fine.

I remove rubber fuel line line at tank and blow air from each direction. Seems fine. Reconnect union.
70 psi two pumps.

I splice a piece of rubber fuel line to rubber return line at tank and put it in a gas can.
70 psi two pumps
It flows into the gas can but does not shoot with force as I expected.

So problem is between union and end of rubber fuel line at tank.
Has the 18 inch piece of 32 year old rubber fuel return line internally collapsed from the fresh fuel?
Shall I drop the tank and cut off that hose at its crimp and splice on a new rubber fuel line?
Baffled.

Young1 07-15-2022 09:08 PM

Re: 70 psi fuel pressure baffled

SOLVED! I found this in the tank return hose. I hack sawed the hard line at the crimp union. This plastic plug was jammed down the hose. Pressure is normal now. Spliced in 11 inches of 3/8 hose.

Young1 07-15-2022 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 18216

HAWAIIZR-1 07-16-2022 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 334179)
SOLVED! I found this in the tank return hose. I hack sawed the hard line at the crimp union. This plastic plug was jammed down the hose. Pressure is normal now. Spliced in 11 inches of 3/8 hose.

Wow! Great troubleshooting! Where the hell is that thing from?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Young1 07-16-2022 05:23 AM

I have no idea what the cone shaped thing is. I had to push it out with a rod. It did not not fall out. The pressure must have swollen the hose to allow gas to pass by the plug. Crazy huh.

HAWAIIZR-1 07-16-2022 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 334184)
I have no idea what the cone shaped thing is. I had to push it out with a rod. It did not not fall out. The pressure must have swollen the hose to allow gas to pass by the plug. Crazy huh.

Glad you got it resolved and that will remain a mystery. That plug needs a case or frame for your car memorabilia display. That?s a head scratcher for sure! :cheers:

garyhugo 07-16-2022 07:00 AM

Looks like a tip from a caulk tube. Wonder what the PO thought he was doing by plugging the return line. WOW.

Young1 07-16-2022 01:33 PM

Maybe PO plugged the line while servicing the pumps. The originals were no longer installed. Forgot to take it out when slipping the hose on the pump assembly.

CamP 07-16-2022 02:53 PM

That's weird! I'm surprised that you discovered it!

Young1 07-17-2022 06:47 AM

I pushed a wire up the hose and it stopped at the hose crimp. So I cut that sucker off!