ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Secondchance - 380 build begins! (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20754)

secondchance 07-18-2013 08:57 AM

Secondchance - 380 build begins!

Some of you may remember my posting and confirmation that my head gasket gad failed.
Initial reaction - S**t!!! So, obviously I accepted having to redo the head gasket. Of course, naturally then would be a good idea to service the valves, lifters, proper cam timing.
Did it stop there? Course not! Might as well go to 4" liners and pistons, etc, etc, etc...
Eventually this has turned into 4" pistons and liners and offset grind crankshaft to 3.76" stroke resulting in 378 - I'll be referring to it as 380.
First step was to pick up a take off crankshaft from Phil's 402 doner LT5 and send it off to one of the forum member/engine builder (keeping magnanimity just in case...).
By next week, my Z will be at my friend's/local mechanic, also w/ 1990 Z, for an engine pull and disassembly. Already lined up friends who will handle head porting and plenum/IH porting.
I did consider getting a new crate motor but then I'll only be back where I had started, right? I have never had a car with a modified motor, never even dreamed of it - so beyond my reach! Now that this is a reality, I am ecstatic beyond belief!
Just want to say that all this started because I had a great fortune of running into the WAZOO clan and having hung around this forum hanging with you guys.

Thank you guys!!!

GOLDCYLON 07-18-2013 09:01 AM

Re: Secondchance - 380 build begins!

Welcome to the club. Is POLO-1 helping? This will be 380 build number #3. Highly suggest you look at Mark H's Cometic head gaskets which are just like the LS1 motors. Also highly suggest pulling the secondaries and deploying Petes Intake cams for an additional 30 HP. GC :cheers:

Paul in SC 07-18-2013 09:18 AM

Yun,

Welcome to the Stroker family. :cheers:

You will love every second!:dancing

Paul

-=Jeff=- 07-18-2013 09:21 AM

And I am sure Pete will suggest his Exhaust Cams too.. just loo at Dominic's thread about that

secondchance 07-18-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 178189)
Welcome to the club. Is POLO-1 helping? This will be 380 build number #3. Highly suggest you look at Mark H's Cometic head gaskets which are just like the LS1 motors. Also highly suggest pulling the secondaries and deploying Petes Intake cams for an additional 30 HP. GC :cheers:

Yes. Kevin is helping me identify recommended parts.
I might go to stage 1 cam but prefer not to spend anymore - keeps getting more expensive!
Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions.:cheers:

secondchance 07-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul in SC (Post 178190)
Yun,

Welcome to the Stroker family. :cheers:

You will love every second!:dancing

Paul

Thank you! Never thought I could come so far...
See you at Carlisle?

GOLDCYLON 07-18-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondchance (Post 178230)
Yes. Kevin is helping me identify recommended parts.
I might go to stage 1 cam but prefer not to spend anymore - keeps getting more expensive!
Nonetheless, thanks for the suggestions.:cheers:

I know exactly how you feel but the intake cams alone are 30HP sitting on the table pretty high performamce to cost ratio. Talk to Pete :handshak:

RICKYRJ1 07-18-2013 03:58 PM

Hi Yun, congrats on the build. I am jealous but that is ok among friends. I hope sometime at Carlisle I can get a sample of yours and Phil's power upgrades. Remember the days when nobody wanted a modified car? You have done a tremendous job with that car over the past couple of years, you do the brotherhood proud. Keep us updated on the progress.

ZZZZZR1 07-18-2013 04:08 PM

Yun

What a difference 4 years makes! Your car has been
transformed into a show car and now a stroker! Class!

So happy you are going to the next level!! I'm jealous!
Can't wait to get a ride in that beast!

:cheers:

David

secondchance 07-18-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 (Post 178234)
Hi Yun, congrats on the build. I am jealous but that is ok among friends. I hope sometime at Carlisle I can get a sample of yours and Phil's power upgrades. Remember the days when nobody wanted a modified car? You have done a tremendous job with that car over the past couple of years, you do the brotherhood proud. Keep us updated on the progress.

Thanks Ricky! Compliment from you is truly worthwhile.