ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Replacement Tire Suggestions (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26937)

Kwood 09-20-2016 01:42 PM

Replacement Tire Suggestions

I have a 1990 ZR-1 with original tires and wheels, 16K miles. I cannot find a recent post that suggests replacement tires for front and back. Suggestions? Mine are currently in good shape, but 26 years old, so.....

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

KPW 09-20-2016 02:20 PM

Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions

Welcome!

Not a whole lot of choices last I looked, but there are some.

I'll probably go with Nitto when I replace mine next, since there's a member discount with our registry.

Goodyear GS D3's are tempting, but pricey.

My car came with Sumitomo tires on it when I bought it last, they don't seem to be the favorite for most around here, others may be able to speak to why, but they've been OK for me (maybe because I don't know much better?)

rush91 09-20-2016 03:10 PM

That's a nice looking Beast you have there......As stated above, there are not a lot of choices for our cars in the tire department. Mine had new Sumitomos on the back when I bought it, but the front had the original Goodyears. I couldn't afford new Goodyears at the time, so went Sumitomos at all 4 corners. In my opinion, they are a very quiet road tire, have good to pretty good grip, but just don't want to seem to hook up on launch.......

I would want to ride in, or hear from members about the road noise on the Nittos and Goodyears before I buy. I have been extremely happy with the Sumitomos, but I maybe in the minority lol......

zr1eddy 09-20-2016 05:50 PM

I was in the same situation with my 1990 when I bought it this past April. It only had 13k on it with Goodyears that were date stamped from 1994. They looked nice but I was sliding all over the place. I went by the many recommendations from forum members to go with the Nitto 555. Got the from discount tire online. Paid $600 for the set, that included delivery. So far I really like these tires great for street driving

efnfast 09-20-2016 06:01 PM

I had Michelin pilot sports. Replaced the rears with Goodyear F1's. Boy, do I miss the Michelin's.

RussMcB 09-20-2016 07:39 PM

I've had Goodyear GS D3's for a little over a year and I'm very happy with them. It was a hard decision because of price, but at the time my checkbook balance was higher than usual (I had just sold something).

I have Nitto's now for race track use, but before I bought the Nittos, I took the Goodyears to the track once and they performed very well.

My experience (confirmed with this tire purchase) is, when you spend a little extra for quality, it usually works out well.

GOLDCYLON 09-20-2016 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussMcB (Post 247735)
I've had Goodyear GS D3's for a little over a year and I'm very happy with them. It was a hard decision because of price, but at the time my checkbook balance was higher than usual (I had just sold something).

I have Nitto's now for race track use, but before I bought the Nittos, I took the Goodyears to the track once and they performed very well.

My experience (confirmed with this tire purchase) is, when you spend a little extra for quality, it usually works out well.

I agree. The summo's are cheap and cheerful and they wear out real fast. Normally these show up on a car just before a sale so you can state hey the tires are new. If you looking for a real good cheap tire try the faulkins but sadly they only make the fronts for our car but they have phenomenal tire wear. I have heard the pilot sports are good too however I haven't tried those. I did not like the BFGs either. I run F1 GS D3s on both my rides. I am hesitant to run anything else besides those or the Pilot Sports in the future. GC

Kwood 09-20-2016 08:35 PM

Thanks all!

Hib Halverson 09-20-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 247736)
(snip) The summo's are cheap and cheerful and they wear out real fast.

Wow.
Doesn't that make you want to run out and buy a set of Sumitomos then give them to someone you really hate?

In the last ten years I owned Barney, I had two sets of Goodyear F1 Supercars. That basic design was done for the 2001 Z06 and proved to be an outstanding choice on a ZR-1. They had better lateral grip that the F1 GS-D3 and, in the early-to-mid-'00s were about the best you could get for a street performance tire on a ZR-1. Sadly, Goodyear did not make the F1-SC in the C4 sizes for very long.

If I had to buy tires for that car now, I'd probably look at either the F1 GS-D3 or, if Michelin makes them in 275/40ZR17 and 315/34ZR17, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

RICHARD TILL 09-21-2016 02:50 AM

I bought Nitto 555`s for the rear and they were cheap for good reason. I got what i paid for. Before i had driven on them 5 miles i realized that they were`nt as stable as my worn out 14 year old GSC`s. I`ll be glad when they wear out and i would`nt cry if a railroad spike got one of them.