ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ABS Service light? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33825)

Gibby 02-15-2022 09:38 AM

ABS Service light?

1990 ZR1 - reading about many possibilities. Where should I start ? Waiting on my factory service manual CD to deliver.

secondchance 02-15-2022 05:58 PM

Re: ABS Service light?

May be start with pulling code?

We Gone 02-15-2022 06:30 PM

I worked on a buddy's 93 (had been sitting many years) after I got it running had an ABS code was able to clear it with my scanner never came back. unfortunately I don't remember what code it was.

tccrab 02-16-2022 01:04 AM

You will need a GM Tech1A scan tool to diagnose and after fixing the problem, to reset the code.
If the problem turns out to be a faulty relay in the ABS system, I've dealt with this in the past.
The relay is made of pure unobtanium new, you will either have to source a used one off another 1990, or perform a mod like i describe in a post long ago.
Do a search for pasts posts by me on ABS relay mod.

Crabs

GOLDCYLON 02-23-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibby (Post 330800)
1990 ZR1 - reading about many possibilities. Where should I start ? Waiting on my factory service manual CD to deliver.

Check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder first. Then get a ALDL code reader after that.

max76 02-24-2022 08:40 AM

Hi guys...
i always have the front reservoir with the oil level lower than the back reservoir....i have no leak...it's normal??
Also if i refill the front one after few miles the level goes down...i dont' know why...the car brakes well...

Z51JEFF 02-25-2022 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tccrab (Post 330823)
The relay is made of pure unobtanium new, you will either have to source a used one off another 1990, or perform a mod like i describe in a post long ago.
Do a search for pasts posts by me on ABS relay mod.Crabs

Years ago I was having problems with my ABS and I went to a Corvette wrecking yard and snagged every relay I could get,got a bag of these things. OP, the sensors are magnetic and over time pick up debris from the road and need to be cleaned from time to time.

garyhugo 02-25-2022 01:27 PM

Z51JEFF, if it is the wheel speed sensors picking up debris have you ever known of someone who has removed cleaned and replaced them and they still worked ?I would be very interested in how they were removed without damage. Thanks.

Gibby 05-19-2022 08:41 AM

Update to my original question / issue. Service guy said the relays are causing the ABS light to come on and someone installed aftermarket Bosch brand before me owning the car. He said only way to make light go off is to have GM relays which cannot be bought new. So what next before I yank the bulb to make this problem go away ? Or will yanking the bulb cause another issue ?

Gibby 05-19-2022 11:25 AM

how much and are you sure they are good ?