ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boosted LT5's (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23838)

Billy Mild 09-16-2014 10:05 PM

Boosted LT5's

For such a great motor, I haven't seen much for boosting options. I have seen the Raptor rear mount turbo kit, but no superchargers as of yet. Is there a reason for that? Too high of compression? Is it because NA mods see such great gains? Is nitrous a safe option?

KILLSHOTS 09-16-2014 11:10 PM

Re: Boosted LT5's

I'm sure that the LT5's extremely high compression ratio is the primary reason that boosting is uncommon. And the rarity of the engine means there's virtually no market for pistons that reduce the compression. Head modifications to reduce compression? Maybe, but with an old aluminum engine, it's potentially a bit more problematic. As far as nitrous is concerned, Marc doesn't recommend it. The market has shown that as far as increasing power is concerned, the LT5 exemplifies the old axiom that there's no substitute for cubic inches. Wish I had the money - and the will - to rip into mine and take it to 415 or so.

LGAFF 09-16-2014 11:18 PM

Open dec also did not permit much boost....turbocharging lead to head gasket failures...Haibeck has a gasket to address I believe.

cvette98pacecar 09-17-2014 12:05 AM

What no Twin Turbo LT5? There are a boat load of them out there.

Twin Turbo LT5
SGC-Three is you count Wayne twice as you should (high and low boost version)
LPE- Four and Norms has 1000 hp.
Callaway - There were three originally but I have seen the hoods that would support 5 cars. Hopefully Chris C or Reeves will chime in.
Raptor - One with the second on being built right now by Henderson Motor sport.
Mallet - One

Single turbo
Mark Haibeck

Supercharger
Specialized Racing products.

Now Mark Horner or Jerry Downey was telling me about a 385 Twin Turbo in Texas, I do not know if that is included in this count.

That makes 16 that I know of.

Billy Mild 09-17-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 212417)
Open dec also did not permit much boost....turbocharging lead to head gasket failures...Haibeck has a gasket to address I believe.

People said this about the 944 Turbo engine as well. It is open deck. One way around that was either using iron sleeves, or putting cement in the engine block to stabilize the cylinders.

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo...ker-build.html

Before the ZR-1 I was big into 944's. Still one of my favorite cars of all time. There were a few guys who made a "hybrid stroker" engine. Granted I don't think the LT5 has rod bearing issues like the 944's do, but the stabilizing of the cylinder is still good food for thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar (Post 212422)
What no Twin Turbo LT5? There are a boat load of them out there.

Twin Turbo LT5
SGC-Three is you count Wayne twice as you should (high and low boost version)
LPE- Four and Norms has 1000 hp.
Callaway - There were three originally but I have seen the hoods that would support 5 cars. Hopefully Chris C or Reeves will chime in.
Raptor - One with the second on being built right now by Henderson Motor sport.
Mallet - One

Single turbo
Mark Haibeck

Supercharger
Specialized Racing products.

Now Mark Horner or Jerry Downey was telling me about a 385 Twin Turbo in Texas, I do not know if that is included in this count.

That makes 16 that I know of.

I have seen some random ones on the internet, just not a lot. I guess these were low production cars so most would rather keep them in the garage and wipe them with a diaper...

I'm sure these builds are $$$$$. Much more than I can afford. Haha

mike100 09-17-2014 10:31 AM

I think by the time you figure out how to do it and the money spent, you could just get a Mk4 Supra or a twin turbo LS C5 or something.

Paul Workman 09-17-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Mild (Post 212436)
People said this about the 944 Turbo engine as well. It is open deck. One way around that was either using iron sleeves, or putting cement in the engine block to stabilize the cylinders.

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo...ker-build.html

Before the ZR-1 I was big into 944's. Still one of my favorite cars of all time. There were a few guys who made a "hybrid stroker" engine. Granted I don't think the LT5 has rod bearing issues like the 944's do, but the stabilizing of the cylinder is still good food for thought.

I have seen some random ones on the internet, just not a lot. I guess these were low production cars so most would rather keep them in the garage and wipe them with a diaper...

I'm sure these builds are $$$$$. Much more than I can afford. Haha

Some of the FBI gang here in northern IL have gone the AES route and converted the motors to closed deck variants - primarily for big-inch LT5 apps., taking a page out of some tricked out, highly forced (Honda) motors.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...psa1ae1870.jpg

I'm not aware of any forced AES LT5s, but those so modified stand to support forced induction, according to AES.

KILLSHOTS 09-17-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 212440)
I think by the time you figure out how to do it and the money spent, you could just get a Mk4 Supra or a twin turbo LS C5 or something.

Yep, that was my point. If 16 or so out of a 7000-plus run have been boosted, that's about .002%, which means that a few guys went against the grain and tried it as an experiment. Sure, it can be and has been done. I could also turn my Camry Hybrid daily driver into a weekend track car...but it's probably not the best platform. Other than "what the hell, I've got WAY too much money in the bank!" type of guys, why would someone start with an old, precious, HIGH-COMPRESSION aluminum V8 for a boost project?

rkreigh 09-21-2014 04:37 AM

packaging for the front mount turbos is very tight!!

I think the AES liners would really help

as would e85!! the LT5 isn't the best choice, but it's certainly doable and the end results as evidence are glorious

Hey Robert,

the 385 TT belongs to Will B. and is included in the 4 LPE builds

let me know if you get your manifolds done

love to see them!

cvette98pacecar 09-21-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkreigh (Post 212661)
packaging for the front mount turbos is very tight!!

I think the AES liners would really help

as would e85!! the LT5 isn't the best choice, but it's certainly doable and the end results as evidence are glorious

Hey Robert,

the 385 TT belongs to Will B. and is included in the 4 LPE builds

let me know if you get your manifolds done

love to see them!

Ron, this build is not a big priority right now. I have to complete the LPE and Shinoda first.