ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dr Don cured my Bose ailment (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33837)

billschroeder5842 02-20-2022 01:19 PM

Dr Don cured my Bose ailment

Props to Doctor Dons radio repair.

I sent my original Bose Gold head unit from my 91 to him last week and got it back in less than 4 days. I swapped out my spare (read my anxiety in another post) that was acting goofy this morning and put in the original (now rebuilt) and everything is perfect.

Im going to ride around this afternoon and play some of my old CDs.

Thanks DR!

mpiecyk 02-20-2022 08:31 PM

Re: Dr Don cured my Bose ailment

Same here Bill, sent Dr.Don my (4) speakers received them in (5) days and the sound was the best this car ever had, to bad I cant take the Z out we still have snow on the ground.
Mike P.

dredgeguy 02-22-2022 07:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Dr. Don repaired my stock radio as well, had a CD stuck in it from the PO and speaker amps were fried. He reconditioned the head unit with a updated Sony laser (he said was 1000 times better than original technology so no skipping when hitting bumps in the road), new backlights plus directly connected an auxiliary input cable off the cassette line. The auxiliary input was on a 4 foot cable so I can run it to the center console. I can now plug in my phone or XM radio hidden in the center console so everything looks stock. Got new rear speakers as original are paper and sun will crack them over time. Front speaker are cloth so no need to replace, just replace the amps. I think the radio playing CD's or XM sounds outstanding and have been very happy with it since we did this about 10 years ago.

max76 02-24-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredgeguy (Post 330925)
Dr. Don repaired my stock radio as well, had a CD stuck in it from the PO and speaker amps were fried. He reconditioned the head unit with a updated Sony laser (he said was 1000 times better than original technology so no skipping when hitting bumps in the road), new backlights plus directly connected an auxiliary input cable off the cassette line. The auxiliary input was on a 4 foot cable so I can run it to the center console. I can now plug in my phone or XM radio hidden in the center console so everything looks stock. Got new rear speakers as original are paper and sun will crack them over time. Front speaker are cloth so no need to replace, just replace the amps. I think the radio playing CD's or XM sounds outstanding and have been very happy with it since we did this about 10 years ago.

Hi....you know wich sony laser update in your head unit? My cd reader don't work, but i'm in italy and it's expensive send it in usa...

dredgeguy 02-24-2022 08:57 AM

I have no idea which model he used and remember that this was about 9 years ago. Suggest you send him an email and explain your situation.
General Information: service@doctordons.com
Sales: sales@doctordons.com
Customer Support: service@doctordons.com

drdons.com

dredgeguy 02-24-2022 03:33 PM

I have heard good things about this group as well.
https://carstereohelp.com/

max76 02-25-2022 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredgeguy (Post 330966)
I have heard good things about this group as well.
https://carstereohelp.com/

Thanks a lot for the info!!!
:cheers:

billschroeder5842 02-25-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dredgeguy (Post 330925)
Got new rear speakers as original are paper and sun will crack them over time. Front speaker are cloth so no need to replace, just replace the amps.

What are the speakers you got for the rear and did you reuse the amps?

My speakers are 100% with original amps, and seem to sound much better with the rebuilt head unit. If I upgraded speakers will I notice that much difference, or best to save the money and leave well enough alone?

Matt B 02-25-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max76 (Post 330960)
Hi....you know wich sony laser update in your head unit? My cd reader don't work, but i'm in italy and it's expensive send it in usa...

Max, there's a company in Germany that might be able to help you. Drop me a pm if interested! They are specialized in gm audio and fixed mine pretty well.

dredgeguy 02-25-2022 05:58 PM

My stock rear speakers were shot as was the amps so I got new OEM Bose rear speakers with new amps for the rear. If your speakers sound good now, just enjoy them. Our amps and speakers are tuned for the Corvette. I am amazed at how good the Bose system sounds.