ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Questions about Callaway Twin Turbo Drivability???? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22157)

alnukem 01-25-2014 08:09 AM

Questions about Callaway Twin Turbo Drivability????

I hope I didn't violate anything, since this is not ZR-1, but I wanted some input. I am starting to see Callaway Twin Turbos coming into my humble price range. I know there are members that must have had or have these cars. I have never owned or drove a turboed car before & was curious of the driving performance.

1988 RPOB2K Performance

382 BHP @ 4000 RPM
562 Torque @ 2800 RPM
0-60 in 5 seconds
0-100 in 12.4 seconds
1/4 mile in 12.8 to 13.7 depends who you read.

I guess there are some pretty simple & effective performance mods with a low restriction exhaust & a Callaway "Wonderbar" (apparently, a less restrictive frame channel for Air Inlet). Anyway, what's it like to drive one of these cars with, not so much HP & a ton of Torque????? Thanks, Tim

LGAFF 01-25-2014 08:26 AM

Re: Questions about Callaway Twin Turbo Drivability????

I bought 1987 #17 a few years ago for $13K. It was in rough shape; rebuilt the turbos, all of the lines were leaking, trans leaking. Its a pain in the *** to work on and they are sensitive to changes.

I do not think my experience is typical, but tuning with mods using the Callaway system requires some expertise. I have a prototype intake on mine, I also have the last copy of the sledgehammer cam made by Dave Generous(not installed) along with a wonderbar(not installed).

If you have means, I would say go for it. I would expect to spend a few K on repairs.

They drive like an L98, and power comes on differently than a LT-5....its like something pushes the car from behind

LGAFF 01-25-2014 08:29 AM

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...psd6708225.jpg

Z06scentair 01-25-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 194224)

Lookin Good Lee!

Schrade 01-25-2014 10:03 AM

How much did resto cost? NOT counting your own time?

Just curious here Mr G; don't disclose if you don't want...

And maybe a little on the frame / airflow tech??? What was the purpose of THAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnukem (Post 194221)
I hope I didn't violate anything, since this is not ZR-1, but I wanted some input. I am starting to see Callaway Twin Turbos coming into my humble price range. I know there are members that must have had or have these cars. I have never owned or drove a turboed car before & was curious of the driving performance.

1988 RPOB2K Performance

382 BHP @ 4000 RPM

562 Torque @ 2800 RPM
0-60 in 5 seconds
0-100 in 12.4 seconds
1/4 mile in 12.8 to 13.7 depends who you read.

I guess there are some pretty simple & effective performance mods with a low restriction exhaust & a Callaway "Wonderbar" (apparently, a less restrictive frame channel for Air Inlet).

Anyway, what's it like to drive one of these cars with, not so much HP & a ton of Torque????? Thanks, Tim

LGAFF 01-25-2014 10:54 AM

Its a long way from being done. Come to think of it I might have paid less than $13K, hard to remember. Might have been $11500

Car ran when I got it, drove it from STL to home. It had an oil leak coming from the trans pan, manifold, and turbo sumps. I ported the heads and put in larger valves 2.0/1.55 Manley race valves.

I then found an intake on ebay for $600 (with injectors and rails) that turned out to be a GM prototype that looks close to the 100 plus. It was intended for a Hi-Po 1LE Camaro, but in speaking to Jim McFarland one of the criteria was to clear the Corvette hood. This intake on a NA L98 stock motor would have made over 300hp per mr. McFarland. its one of 4 made! Jim McFarland was shocked it got out of GMs hands, as it was kept quiet. JOhn Hienrecy(sp) confirmed it was a skunkworks project that got scraped because of the upcoming LT-1 project.

I had a lot of experimenting with the fuel rails to get a workable version, and then issues with the fueling. The car runs but boost is a challenge. I am still not sure about the health of the motor. Compression is 115 across all cylinders(its 7.5:1 compression).

So as I left it last year, car ran, although boost was a struggle, it would hit hard after sputtering, etc. I am hoping to finish it in late 2014(have a 368 LT-5 to build and get sold)

Turbo rebuild: $700(I probably could have done this myself after learning about it.

Porting: free

Intake: $600

Misc fuel rails stuff: $300

Sledgehammer cam: $340

Wonder bar: $450

*Car needs new carpeting it sat out in AZ
*Paint is rough

**Keith Martin said this car would never see the road again because of the mech leaks, etc....out to prove him wrong. :cheers:

USAZR1 01-25-2014 04:47 PM

Lee,does your TT have a 4+3 or 700R4 trans? What's the engine redline on those engines?

LGAFF 01-25-2014 04:54 PM

Its the same redline as the stocker because of the TPI.....in the current setup I should be able to run to 6K+. Engine has a better crank/rods/pistons than stock.

Its got the 4+3

LGAFF 01-25-2014 04:55 PM

Here is the small wonderbar used from 88-91 on stockers....the big wonder bar enlarges the rail creating a larger plenum:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...f/DSCN5569.jpg

Schrade 01-25-2014 05:27 PM

Do the turbos have any problem getting air through the intake manifold? Any room for improvement there - like porting the intake, or the like???

(L98 intake manifold was designed on flow characteristics of LB9 TPI, and what's why L98 runs out of air @ higher RPM's)