ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   zr1 #729 sold (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23412)

edram454 07-24-2014 07:14 PM

zr1 #729 sold

just reporting that my bid did not get in on time with 1 second remaining I bid 12500.00 for a 1990 zr1 61800 miles red on tan on ebay. car is 100% stock with stock rims and goodyear gsc tires in very very nice condition.. car sold at 11,700.00. I raced home got on the internet my computer took a while to get in and found the car with 6 seconds remaining.. scrolled down to place the bid, placed it, and hit enter with 1 second left and the screen froze. I thought it would come back and tell me I won the car... it came back with the bid is closed. 11700.00 high bidder.

car was in north carolina. Hate to lose a deal like that. I could have flipped that car here for 15 or 16k easy. Hate to see these cars go so low.:-x

ed ramos #3028

Dynomite 07-24-2014 07:28 PM

Re: zr1 #729 sold

Quote:

Originally Posted by edram454 (Post 208167)
just reporting that my bid did not get in on time with 1 second remaining I bid 12500.00 for a 1990 zr1 61800 miles red on tan on ebay. car is 100% stock with stock rims and goodyear gsc tires in very very nice condition.. car sold at 11,700.00. I raced home got on the internet my computer took a while to get in and found the car with 6 seconds remaining.. scrolled down to place the bid, placed it, and hit enter with 1 second left and the screen froze. I thought it would come back and tell me I won the car... it came back with the bid is closed. 11700.00 high bidder.

car was in north carolina. Hate to lose a deal like that. I could have flipped that car here for 15 or 16k easy. Hate to see these cars go so low.:-x

ed ramos #3028

That is my year and my colors....how do you know it was not me with the high bid :D

edram454 07-24-2014 08:42 PM

well i dont. if it was you, you stole it. You got lucky I missed it by 1 second, if it was you of course. I have a lead on a 52k miler that the owner will soon sell. 1992 quasar blue distress sale.. hopefully. under 13k. fikse rims. a friend of a friend...;)

Coop 07-24-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edram454 (Post 208171)
well i dont. if it was you, you stole it. You got lucky I missed it by 1 second, if it was you of course. I have a lead on a 52k miler that the owner will soon sell. 1992 quasar blue distress sale.. hopefully. under 13k. fikse rims. a friend of a friend...;)

edram, I'd be interested in learning more about this QB '92 whether it's a flip or direct sale. Let me know...

Schrade 07-24-2014 11:30 PM

He's on the boards here; I talked to him a couple times this week.

And the car's not sold...

Quote:

Originally Posted by edram454 (Post 208167)

ed ramos #3028

edram454 07-25-2014 12:01 AM

what do you mean it is not sold? 729 auction closed and sold at 11,700. He had a no reserve auction so he's got to let it go or be sued. I can not believe that the winner wouldnt pony up the 11.7k for that car. This was just car I happened to see the night before and remembered it would be sold today. when I checked this afternoon it was at 11.3k. I raced home but just missed it by 1 second because of my long boot up on my computer. I'd be happy to pay the 11.7 k for it or more. Oh well.

justingbeck 07-26-2014 12:54 AM

No, it's not sold much to my surprise. It's still available and can be bought for $14500

edram454 07-26-2014 01:00 AM

well I am surprised. I am not in so much of a hurry to buy at 14.5k as I was at 11.7k. I want to know how the seller got out of the deal without legal issues? On this particular car I was looking to flip it but at 14.5 and shipping and taxes and tag will bring it close to 17k and now its not such a great deal at 62k miles. This car would have to sell for less for it to be a deal. It is a deal if someone were intent on keeping it but it wont be me. Thanks for the info.

ed ramos #3028

phrogs 07-26-2014 01:39 AM

There are no legal issues with car sales on ebay.
It has become the norm for people not to pay and its sad.

edram454 07-26-2014 10:15 AM

I cant believe that someone would not pay 11.7 k for that car. Absolutely ridiculous. There was plenty of meat on the bone on this one. I always thought that when bidding, unless you had a very good excuse, it was a binding contract. i feel those people who dont pay should be banned for a year on ebay and all the feedback taken away. it is a harsh punishment but then again not paying for something that you said you would pay for is pretty bad too.

ed ramos.

ed ramos.

csavaglio 07-26-2014 11:58 AM

I've "sold" 3 cars on ebay. Only one (back in 2006 or so) was actually sold to the bidder. The other 2, more recent...one a year and a half ago and the other in April, were no pays. According to ebay, auctions on cars and property are non binding. The bidder is just securing the opportunity to buy the car, nothing more. Ebay will refund your auction fees if they're a no pay, but that's it.

Needless to say, I won't put another up on ebay.

It can pay to contact the seller if you want the car. A friend of mine sold a '66 Riv like that and I sold my '69 Vette (the one from April) like that when a Vette Forum member contacted me.

Chris

edram454 07-26-2014 12:02 PM

thanks for the information Chris. I did not know that the rules were so loose. I would not sell a car on ebay now either. Unfortunately some people's word has no value. I feel sorry for the sellers.

Thanks,
ed ramos

csavaglio 07-26-2014 12:16 PM

Yeah, as a seller, it was a huge pain and hassle, although both times, ebay refunded me all fees. I sold my '56 Merc (the one from a year and a half ago) to the second highest bidder who was a local guy. On the brighter side, ebay refunded all fees, including the list fee. The way the laws are vehicles and property don't allow ebay to have biding auctions for these items, which was ebay's explanation. They even show it in the information section for selling these things. Doesn't stop ebay from having auctions, of course.

As for a buyer, it works out great. Bid a car, if you have remorse (which ebay says is NOT a valid reason), just say the car didn't turn out to be what you thought and all is forgiven.

Anyhow, if you're still wanting that car, shoot the seller and email and try to work out a deal. The best way to go about it is to not make an offer in the first email. Just say you missed the bidding and find out if the buyer came through. As a seller, when someone makes an offer out of the blue for a car that's "sold," my first thought is it's another flaky person or scam.

C

Schrade 07-26-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csavaglio (Post 208256)
Yeah, as a seller, it was a huge pain and hassle, although both times, ebay refunded me all fees. I sold my '56 Merc (the one from a year and a half ago) to the second highest bidder who was a local guy. On the brighter side, ebay refunded all fees, including the list fee. The way the laws are vehicles and property don't allow ebay to have biding auctions for these items, which was ebay's explanation. They even show it in the information section for selling these things. Doesn't stop ebay from having auctions, of course.

As for a buyer, it works out great. Bid a car, if you have remorse (which ebay says is NOT a valid reason), just say the car didn't turn out to be what you thought and all is forgiven.

Anyhow, if you're still wanting that car, shoot the seller and email and try to work out a deal. The best way to go about it is to not make an offer in the first email. Just say you missed the bidding and find out if the buyer came through. As a seller, when someone makes an offer out of the blue for a car that's "sold," my first thought is it's another flaky person or scam.

C

I've seen those 'sold' cars get relisted many times, sometimes the same day. Which tells me that the 'winner' ;) probably didn't even go to see the car.

In this case however, after talking a few times with Mr. B, I'm under the impression that this is an entirely legitimate scenario...

csavaglio 07-26-2014 01:05 PM

I even had a buyer (this last time with my 69) promising to pay the deposit and kept delaying. He had even been contacting me throughout the auction and got additional photos and info on the car. After his time limit was up, I sold the car to the guy who'd been in contact with me. Within 24 hours, I had the full amount for the car in my account and the car was on it's happy way a week later.

Not everyone goes out to see the car in person (although, after seeing that "just like new" 17k mile ZR-1 in Phoenix, I would never take a sellers word on a car.....

It never hurts to let the seller know you're interested in case the deal fall through. The worst that can happen is he'll tell you the car's sold.