ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Learning to tune; Reboot (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23427)

LGAFF 07-29-2014 05:20 PM

Learning to tune; Reboot

Ok lets start with a fresh thread. Please lets try to keep topics simple and not jump ahead. I am going to start with

What you need to datalog:

Hardware/Connectors
Moates ALDL Extreme
*I am using moates Extreme ALDL, a lot of other stuff out there....but lets keep it simple. I bought a Moates ALDL Extreme that allows me to datalog, it connects my laptop to the ALDL terminal in the car.
http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

This will allow me to plug my Laptop into my car, tap into the ECM physically move data to my computer. However it then needs to be put into software, which is what will bring the usable data to my screen.

Software
For this I purchased TunerPro RT. The cost was $39 and they send you an upload via E-mail that easily loads onto your laptop.
http://tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

TunerPro is the framework for what comes up to your laptop...showing the MAP, O2, IAC, RPM, etc....

Language/ECM data Interpreter
However your ECM speaks a certain language, and to translate that language from your specific Year,make, and model Z into a usable form for TunerPro...you need some specific files.

I believe we are talking about "Definition Files"(XDF/ADX files) and BIN files.

The XDF, is the "road map" to the bin file, it tells Tuner Pro how to interpret the bin file and display it in a way that humans can easily understand.

The ADX is used for logging data through an ALDL or similar type port/vehicle interface.

Here is Jeff's ADX file for 1990 ZR-1: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...7&postcount=21

I believe these "Definition" files are created by Tuners who have hacked various BINS/EPROMS..they are available through various websites but they are not always correct.

Starting the datalog(from TunerPro)

Open Tuner Pro
Once you have an XDF file loaded datalogging is easy

To begin acquiring vehicle datastream information

1) Be sure your cable and/or hardware is attached and properly configured in preferences.
2) Open the ADX definition file for your vehicle and hardware via the menu: Acquisition->Load Defintiion File.
3) From the Acquisition menu, select "Start/Stop Data Scan"

If the connection was succesful, monitoring will begin immediately. If not, try connecting again. If, after a few attempts, you still cannot connect, make sure your key is turned at least to the 'on' position (the car can be started) and try again.

I am going to ask a pro to step in and without going into different directions explain what files we need, what they do, and how do we get access to them? Without these files the afore mentioned hardware/software is kind of useless???
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong....

cvette98pacecar 07-29-2014 05:43 PM

Re: Learning to tune; Reboot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 208357)
Ok lets start with a fresh thread. Please lets try to keep topics simple and not jump ahead. I am going to start with

What you need to datalog:

Hardware/Connectors
Moates ALDL Extreme
*I am using moates Extreme ALDL, a lot of other stuff out there....but lets keep it simple. I bought a Moates ALDL Extreme that allows me to datalog, it connects my laptop to the ALDL terminal in the car.
http://www.moates.net/aldu1-and-cabl....html?cPath=64

This will allow me to plug my Laptop into my car, tap into the ECM physically move data to my computer. However it then needs to be put into software, which is what will bring the usable data to my screen.

Software
For this I purchased TunerPro RT. The cost was $39 and they send you an upload via E-mail that easily loads onto your laptop.
http://tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

TunerPro is the framework for what comes up to your laptop...showing the MAP, O2, IAC, RPM, etc....

Language/ECM data Interpreter
However your ECM speaks a certain language, and to translate that language from your specific Year,make, and model Z into a usable form for TunerPro...you need some specific files.

I am going to ask a pro to step in and without going into different directions explain what files we need, what they do, and how do we get access to them? Without these files the afore mentioned hardware/software is kind of useless???

I believe we are talking about "Definition Files"(XDF/ADX files) and BIN files.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong....

Lee, all you have to remember is there are only 10 people in the world.

XfireZ51 07-29-2014 09:21 PM

Lee,

The .adx is used for datalogging. The .xdf is used to edit the calibration. Both need to be correct for the data stream (ALDL) and for the calibration. For the
LT-5, each model year has 2 versions of the .xdf. These are also commonly referred to as Mask IDs.

So 90 is $8E and $8EA,
91 $AF and $AFA
92 $D0 and $D0A
93-95 $F0 and $F0A.

Can't mix years or use an "A" version to modify the original version.

LGAFF 07-29-2014 10:07 PM

So for datalogging on TunerPro

*Save Your .ADX file onto your laptop
*Plug your ALDL Extreme,plug it into your ALDL connector under the dash and connect to your laptop USB
*Open TunerPro
*On TunerPro go to the Acquisition Tab
**Select Load Definition File
**Select Your .ADX file
**Open
*Return to your Acquisition Tab
* Choose Start/Stop ScanData
*Go to the Gauge Icon on the toolbar at the top of the program
*Click on the Icon
* The gauge cluster with live data will load

Gauge Cluster ICON
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...f/DSCN5907.jpg

Data Gauge Cluster
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...f/DSCN5908.jpg

LGAFF 07-29-2014 10:23 PM

It looks like TunerCAT has the definition files for 1990-1995 ZR-1...$19.95. Anyone used their Definition files??? After failing with TunerPro I wonder if they are effective

http://www.tunercat.com/

Go to the ECM definition Files section under Chevy Cars...

XfireZ51 07-29-2014 10:56 PM

.xdf's available here to get started

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/xdf/

LGAFF 07-29-2014 11:08 PM

So for roughly $110 you can datalog your ZR-1 and do some basic troubleshooting. If you record your runs, I would assume Dominic they could forward the file to you or another tuner to review of tuning changes???? Or would you need a Wide Band reading???

XfireZ51 07-29-2014 11:25 PM

I have worked w some members to review their datalogs and make calibration changes. Helpful if the user has an Ostrich and so I can send a modified bin which then gets uploaded. Depends on what the user is looking for. Is it small changes, ie fans or is it driveability which is quite a bit more involved. For tuning WOT, you would need a WB (possibly provided by dyno but not as desirable), and do it real time.

Hog 07-30-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 208388)
It looks like TunerCAT has the definition files for 1990-1995 ZR-1...$19.95. Anyone used their Definition files??? After failing with TunerPro I wonder if they are effective

http://www.tunercat.com/

Go to the ECM definition Files section under Chevy Cars...

I personally use Tunercat definition files or VDF's or Vehicle Definition Files, sometimes called templates.
The OBD2 ones I used are $80 and allow me to recalibrate millions of PCM if I wished, I love their licensing.

Good thing about Tunercat is that the owner/operator John, can add anything to a VDF that you may require. He does the work for free, and then adds it to the VDF's so that his product and all the other tuners benefit.

He sold the rights of his OBD2 tuning system to Jet Performance Products, just so he didnt get too many customers thus avoiding a drop in customer service.

WOT tuning can be performed anywhere you can safely hold her wide open and has benefits of natural airflow, whereas a dyno only has a fan. The vehicle fights now aerodynamic load on a dyno, and rad cooling is different between a dyno and driving tuning.

The good thing about a loaded chassis dyno is that you can hold engine rpm at various rpms at various loads.

ECM emulators that allow you to hit a key and have that change affect the way the vehicle runs IMMEDIATLElY greatly hastens the tuning process. You doont have to make a calibration change, then burn a chip, then install the chip, then retest to see if teh change works.

I am jealous how comparativley inexpensive the OBD1 stuff is to purchase. Complete Pro Tuning kit for loggging and tuning for $399. Thats great.

A few things to help folks understand teh various tuning devices and their purpose.

Datalogging-taking the vehicles sensor inputs and outputs (data part) and taking thosesignals and savinng them somewhere for you to view later(the logging parts-as in making a "log" entry).
Scanning-is very similar to Datalogging except that the sensor input/outputs are accessed and displayed, but the data is usually not ;ogged, although many scan tools can record sensor data and freeze frames of data called screenshots. Pulling up ECM codes is a type of scanning with the Tech 1 being an example of a "scan tool".

Calibration(tuning)-this is where you make changes to the way the ECM(Engine Control Module) "reacts" to the sensor data it receives thus the resultant signals it sends back out to the engine. You make changes to the calibration, but thus far the calibration is just a file on your PCM/laptop whatever. Still useless as far as the cars concerned.

Chip-burning/Emulating/Flashing/Writing- Chip burning is where you take that calibration from your PC/laptop and install it into the car so that it can use the information. Cars/trucks that use chips read the calibration that has literally been burned onto the chip. You erase some chips by placing them under UV(Ultraviolet) light

An Emulator is a device that mimicks or emulates a real chipped ECM while it takes the place of the chip and allows for real time changes to be made to the calibration. The biggest advantage of using an ECM Emulator is time. For example, with teh engine running, you can enter 30° for WOT timing advance and make a dyno pull. Hmm, It made 300rwhp. Even before the dyno rollers have stopped, you can change that previous 30° timing advance and enter 32° of WOT timing advance. Then make another pull. Gmm ok we made 310rwhp. So if 32º advance made more power, lets try 34º of advance, so you do, but perhaps you find that you lose power, so then you go back to the 32º timing advance setting. That scenario would have required 4 chip changes, engine off, battery disconnected, static electricity safety enacted. But with an emulator the long part of theprocess is thedyno pulls themselves. Then once you get a good calibration, you can take that calibration, burn it on a chip, and install it into you car.

In the late OBD1 LT1's and all OBD2 vehciles GM started to use "flash memory". No more chips, no more UV erasers, no more static electricty damage issues. You simply "flash" your new calibration onto the ECM's flash memory chip. This can be done over and over. Flash memory can be Emulated as well, Moates sells it, its called a Roadrunner. A stated for OBD1 its an Ostrich. It costs $175 with price breaks of $157 for 10 or more, $148 for 20 or more, and $140 for 50+.

Tuning can be complex, and intimidating for people, it uses weirdo terms that are not English. And people with experience can easily talk over people who are beginning.

Great thread topic LGaff. All you lurking, curious tuners out there, "here is no dumb question, except for the one that isnt asked". Not a competition, we all start out life not knowing anything, crapping out pants with our thumbs in our mouths. We all gotta start somewhere.

rkreigh 07-31-2014 08:49 PM

ok, a tuning project. like LPE did with the LINC computer, I want to tune factory ecm in coordination with a megasquirt running the secondaries only

that way I can stuff a bigger injector in there, and run some turbos or maybe even E85 cutting in.

I've thought about the complexity of the security and the mileage interfaces lacking in the current megasquirt project and the logical thing to me is to piggy back on the secondaries.

maybe even have the megasquirt control ALL the fueling

love this thread!!!

I really am interested in doing some tuning refinements and getting what's needed to do it.

if we can pool our cash, we can reduce the cost and learn how to do this together and get our ZR-1s tuned up at a reduced cost and be able to do it anytime it's needed!

I think a wideband monitoring system is a must. many stand alone widebands work well and should be added to the tuning kit!