ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A question about rear brake calipers. (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23415)

Z51JEFF 07-24-2014 11:36 PM

A question about rear brake calipers.

I want to have an extra set of calipers,brackets powder coated.What year rear calipers are used on the base car as well as a ZR-1?Ive got the fronts,just need the rear setup.Thanks,Jeff.

-=Jeff=- 07-25-2014 07:45 AM

Re: A question about rear brake calipers.

88-96

87 was the last year for the drum e-brake on a C4

WVZR-1 07-25-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 208193)
88-96

87 was the last year for the drum e-brake on a C4

'88 was a "one year" OE/GM - for service yes 88+ are the same but as I mentioned on the other forum I believe you would want the latest year and lowest mile product you could put your hands on.

BigJohn 07-25-2014 02:47 PM

I am staying out of this one!!!

:rolleyes:

-=Jeff=- 07-25-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn (Post 208216)
I am staying out of this one!!!

:rolleyes:

LOL

WVZR-1 07-25-2014 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a typical image for '88 -'96 rear calipers and items #6 (pivot) and #4 (lever) are a one year only for '88, sure the caliper would fit BUT there would be no servicing those two components if you had problems without again acquiring an '88 caliper. The lever and pivot are the apply mechanism for the parking brake. It's not unusual to need to service those on cars where the parking brake sees little or no use.

I mentioned the newest MY and the least number of miles if you were shopping. Can you tell the difference visually? I really don't know. I can tell you the repair solution was to buy the later caliper if you had problems with an '88.

Attachment 3667

-=Jeff=- 07-25-2014 06:41 PM

So what is the difference on the 88? Do you have a comparison picture?

WVZR-1 07-25-2014 06:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 208227)
So what is the difference on the 88? Do you have a comparison picture?

The GM images of both are the same. I have if you need. I have an image from an SPO publication dated early in '88 and also SPO publications of later years. GM was very careful NOT to combine the years together and just change the "parts text" for the affected parts. If you had an SPO publication from lets say '92 or '93 you would find the image of the '88 with appropriate text and two pages later the same image with '89 - end of production information.

Does this work for you?

'88 rear:

Attachment 3668

'89+ rear brakes

Attachment 3669

I did have these on an electronic image for you

Blue Flame Restorations 07-25-2014 07:04 PM

Not really related but I did discover that the 88 KOH Prototype rear brakes have a one-off rear rubber brake line style. The steel brake line that the rubber hose is crimped onto is bent differently than an 89-95 flex line.

-=Jeff=- 07-25-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 208229)
The GM images of both are the same. I have if you need. I have an image from an SPO publication dated early in '88 and also SPO publications of later years. GM was very careful NOT to combine the years together and just change the "parts text" for the affected parts. If you had an SPO publication from lets say '92 or '93 you would find the image of the '88 with appropriate text and two pages later the same image with '89 - end of production information.

Does this work for you?

'88 rear:

Attachment 3668

'89+ rear brakes

Attachment 3669

I did have these on an electronic image for you

Thanks for the info but it does not help..

Reason I ask if you had a picture of the E-brake mechanism, is my e-brake does not work on my 90.. so if there was a distinct difference int he arm I could check it and that could be why the brake does not work.

in the pictures they look the same, which is why I was asking if you had a comparison picture of the actual pieces.. I knew the 88 was one off on a lot of things, I did not realize the Ebrake arm was one of those things. Now I have to wonder if the rear calipers I have are 88 or if they are correct ( They have been replaced due to the set on the car not working either)

Now that the post is way off track of the OPs question..

I apologize