ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RH upgraded Cam tensioner impressions (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14275)

GOLDCYLON 03-22-2011 11:32 PM

RH upgraded Cam tensioner impressions

While I was out of town over the last three weeks TDY I had the ZFDOC install a new RH Cam tensioner upgrade kit. As discussed here. Pic below was taken from this thread the upgrade consisted of an aluminum housing that collected more oil. Note that the tensioner in the kit comes "loaded" or compressed.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....663&post105663

While I know its "normal" for some of our cars to be a little rattlely at start up... to me.... it was just plain unnerving. My car would sound like the cams on the passenger side were going to fly out of it. I can tell you this is a outstanding upgrade to get if your car is doing the same thing. If you look at the above post you can see pics posted up on the differences.

I know GM would never call this chain rattle a defect just like those famous Multech MY 90 Fuel injectors however my hats off to the engineer who resolved the problem by allowing more oil to be cupped in order to remove almost ALL ofthe rattle. My results were fantastic and I highly reccomend getting this kit. The kit is pricey but it includes a brand new tensoner as well so.... Your mileage may vary. I highly recommend this mod. GC out

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...1/DSC02710.jpg

limey 03-22-2011 11:50 PM

Re: RH upgraded Cam tensioner impressions

Carter, you out there? Need some of these housing made.

GC got the last one!

GOLDCYLON 03-23-2011 12:02 AM

Holly crap!!!!!

tomtom72 03-23-2011 08:29 AM

Okay, I know I'm not swift on the uptake....so we have to make these....well I mean we have to get a sample of one so Carter can reverse engineer it so Carter make them....do I understand the situation correctly?

These are nla at GM right? So we have to keep our eyes on e-bay to buy one for our reverse engineering project, right?

:cheers:
Tom

-=Jeff=- 03-23-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom72 (Post 111130)
Okay, I know I'm not swift on the uptake....so we have to make these....well I mean we have to get a sample of one so Carter can reverse engineer it so Carter make them....do I understand the situation correctly?

These are nla at GM right? So we have to keep our eyes on e-bay to buy one for our reverse engineering project, right?

Tom

Tom, That sounds about right

GOLDCYLON 03-23-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 111136)
Tom, That sounds about right

No not quite. You didnt add the part where Cliff implied im a butt head for not sending off the susposed "last one" (hell I had no idea) off to Carter first who responded two days after my final post BTW in that thread.

Holly crap was my "more forthcoming response" Cliff because I just realized I hosed up a chance to "help" the community. I had not even looked at that thread again until last night when I posted up my impressions to find a picture I remembered being in there. Now I read to the bottom where Carter offered to help.

So "Holly crap" I guess I am a total self serving AZZHOLE. Thanks for pointing that out to the entire community. Next time I go TDY for almost 4 weeks i'll make sure I reread all the posts again on my work laptop. :thumbsup:

tomtom72 03-23-2011 09:57 AM

No your not Daryl, you didn't realize what the conversation was at the time you decided to have your issue repaired.

If I was paying more attention, I would have started looking for one a long time ago....I didn't do it either so I'm just as much an A-HOLE as the next guy!:mrgreen:

If I find one, I'll buy it and send it to Carter to do whatever we need to do to reproduce this stuff.

Tom

GOLDCYLON 03-23-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom72 (Post 111144)
No your not Daryl, you didn't realize what the conversation was at the time you decided to have your issue repaired.

If I was paying more attention, I would have started looking for one a long time ago....I didn't do it either so I'm just as much an A-HOLE as the next guy!:mrgreen:

If I find one, I'll buy it and send it to Carter to do whatever we need to do to reproduce this stuff.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Jerry asked me scans for the GM install sheets. I still have that and I am sending the scans of it tonight to Jerry. I will send those to whomever wants them as well. I think we will ALL be looking for that housing to pop up again. GC

tomtom72 03-23-2011 10:11 AM

:thumbsup: to ya Daryl!

Do you suppose if I begged on my hands & knees at the gathering this year some engineer, either presently employed or retired, at the BG factory would go dig up the blue prints and make a copy for us?????:sign10:

GOLDCYLON 03-23-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtom72 (Post 111147)
:thumbsup: to ya Daryl!

Do you suppose if I begged on my hands & knees at the gathering this year some engineer, either presently employed or retired, at the BG factory would go dig up the blue prints and make a copy for us?????:sign10:

Right after the multech fuel injectors MY90 redesign sheets are done.