ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cudos to AFS (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24927)

efnfast 04-14-2015 02:33 PM

Cudos to AFS

Ordered a set of replica A-molds from AFS.
http://shop.afswheels.com/AFS-ZR-1-W...im-Set-S7B.htm
They were great to deal with, the rims look great and showed up on time. Just wanted to give a shout out for a job well done. -Steve
:saluting:

KILLSHOTS 04-14-2015 08:13 PM

Re: Cudos to AFS

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223775)
Ordered a set of replica A-molds from AFS.
http://shop.afswheels.com/AFS-ZR-1-W...im-Set-S7B.htm
They were great to deal with, the rims look great and showed up on time. Just wanted to give a shout out for a job well done. -Steve
:saluting:

The item description in your link says the rears have a 50mm offset. Is that what you received? Should be 36mm and will be stamped on the back of one of the spokes. Julio at AFS does have the correct 36mm offset for the rear, but it's a deep-dish style instead of the deep-lug style.

efnfast 04-14-2015 08:18 PM

I ordered the 36mm offset, and ASSUME that is what i received. I'll change the link.
Can't measure them right now, having a red pinstripe put on them.

efnfast 04-14-2015 08:21 PM

Just checked the site. Uh-oh.

efnfast 04-14-2015 08:23 PM

Now I need confirmation of offsets. I ordered the S7B's.

ghlkal 04-14-2015 08:49 PM

Good looking wheel.

How deep/wide is the polished lip?

lbszr 04-14-2015 09:03 PM

The offset set is stamped on the back of the spoke as killshot mentioned. I've been running the 50mm with a spacer on the back because on the track, they will also fit on the front with no spacer. Handles great with 315's on the front!!

I check them for cracks after every event, and they seem to be holding up good. The black looks great also!

Paul Workman 04-15-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbszr (Post 223801)
The offset set is stamped on the back of the spoke as killshot mentioned. I've been running the 50mm with a spacer on the back because on the track, they will also fit on the front with no spacer. Handles great with 315's on the front!!

Very interesting. Never gave 315x17x11s much thought for the front until recently. 50mm offset you say? Good to know!

Steve,

The "MR3" (Mountain Run 3) is looming, and it occurred to me the extra width on the front might be an edge I'd need to run you down at the MR3...except I hear now you're going to wimp out on us!!?(:() .... Dang, Steve... Sorry you aren't going to make it. I will miss seeing you in my rear view mirror, buddy. (Oh, and :thumbsup: for the heads-up post!)

efnfast 04-15-2015 07:15 AM

Sorry Paul, ain't gonna make it this year. Really bummed. But, back to my wheels.
Looks like I ordered the wrong ones. I'm so pissed at myself.
Somebody please confirm offsets for me so I can straighten this out.
Anybody need a nice set of GS sized rims? -Steve

BigJohn 04-15-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223817)
Sorry Paul, ain't gonna make it this year. Really bummed. But, back to my wheels.

How much?

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

=But, back to my wheels.

If the wheels are the "deep pocketed" 50mm offset wheels then just do the "pass through" wheel spacers that many of us have done. I did mine back in '03 or early '04. The advantage of the spacer is that you could actually tailor the fit to the car. I believe that most do an 18mm spacer but you could do a "poll" sort of inquiry. 14mm gets you even to the 36mm anything more moves it further outboard. There are many vendors of proper length studs to allow the use of spacer. The GM offering that I used when I did mine was a very reasonable purchase at the time. They're not "reasonable" any longer and I've seen mentioned "performance" in discussions of them but there's nothing "specialty" about them other than length.

They were released in the "Performance Catalog" and it was a tough find for most because they were actually cataloged in the "Oldsmobile" section of the catalogue. Anything "other than" stock configured parts was in that catalog. Where else would you catalog it?

First thing you need to do is get a "hands on" of your wheels again, confirm the casting information and move on.

***Since you have the wheels you want to measure your wheels and determine the exact offset of what you have in your possession. That's very easily accomplished. Wheels are sold in "advertised" offsets but I'd measure what I had in my hands and confirm. Assume nothing.

GOLDCYLON 04-15-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS (Post 223789)
The item description in your link says the rears have a 50mm offset. Is that what you received? Should be 36mm and will be stamped on the back of one of the spokes. Julio at AFS does have the correct 36mm offset for the rear, but it's a deep-dish style instead of the deep-lug style.

Yeah chris I was wonder about that as well

efnfast 04-15-2015 09:02 AM

So, the fronts are 17 x 9.5- 56mm offset.
the rears are 17 x 11- 36mm offset.

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223829)

You're asking or mentioning what you bought?

The wheel specifications you've mentioned are correct for the ZR-1 wheels for all production years and all the various styles.

Another possible alternative that I've never done but could be considered (would require dimensionally confirming car to car). I believe that you can purchase a 19mm "adapter style" spacer that would require no additional purchases of studs etc. If there's a pocket between the wheel stud bores of our AFS purchase this could work and work well. A very quick swap of stock wheel to A-mold style if you desired. Using the "pass through" with the longer studs makes the wheel swap next to impossible.

KILLSHOTS 04-15-2015 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223829)

Those are the stock offsets, yes. My advice is to call Julio and arrange to switch out the rear 50s you received for the correct 36s. I was considering a set when I first bought my Z last year and he confirmed that he had them and even sent me a pic of the rear. Since you haven't mounted them yet, there's no sense in running a spacer when you still have a chance to do it right. Good luck.

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS (Post 223832)
Those are the stock offsets, yes. My advice is to call Julio and arrange to switch out the rear 50s you received for the correct 36s. I was considering a set when I first bought my Z last year and he confirmed that he had them and even sent me a pic of the rear. Since you haven't mounted them yet, there's no sense in running a spacer when you still have a chance to do it right. Good luck.

Their 36's I don't believe are a "replica" and that was the intention I believe of the original purchase. If the original discussion was for a ZR-1 and replica mentioned I'd maybe just be looking for some $$ compensation.

XfireZ51 04-15-2015 09:31 AM

Some years ago, I had bought a set of AFS A molds for my 84. These were the GS style wheels, ie black spokes w aluminum rim and deep lug. They were the correct offset for the 84 which was 36mm.

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 10:55 AM

I believe this would be an easy decision making procedure.

Take a "plumb-bob" and drop it from the quarter lip at the rear axle center. Measure from your current side wall to the string. You can accomplish a couple things with this, first establish the location of the rear assembly within the body and determine how much of a spacer you feel your particular car can accommodate. If you feel you can accommodate a 5mm increase towards the outboard lip of the quarter then the 19mm "bolt-on" would do. I expect that this would work for most, an exception would be a car that had a rear axle offset towards the right (generally) that is greater than most.

You need to drop the "plumb-bob" on each side and compare.

Costs nothing to measure.

batchman 04-15-2015 02:42 PM

Steve, my wife bought a set of 4 of those for the red car when she was setting it up. 2 on the front with 315s, no problem, two 18mm (or maybe it's 17mm) spacers from DRM (I think), but needed longer studs and 335's on the rear.

I eventually found something lighter so those now hold my school tires.

- Jeff

-=Jeff=- 04-15-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XfireZ51 (Post 223836)
Some years ago, I had bought a set of AFS A molds for my 84. These were the GS style wheels, ie black spokes w aluminum rim and deep lug. They were the correct offset for the 84 which was 36mm.

right years ago the aftermarket had the correct 'Pockets' in the center for the different offsets

Now it is based on the dish of the wheel, allowing the Manufacturers get have one stamp/mold for the centers instead of 3. I figure the barrel portion is cheaper/easier option to change on the wheels

efnfast 04-15-2015 06:47 PM

So I spoke to Julio. I'm going to send the 50's back at my expense. He's going to ship out the 36's at his expense. I think this is my best option, this was totally my mistake and I think AFS has done a great job of taking care of me. Extra kudo's to them at this point. -Steve

Gunny 04-15-2015 07:09 PM

:thumbsup: :cheers:

efnfast 04-15-2015 07:28 PM

My thoughts exactly Gunny. I expected it to cost me half the cost of the rims in shipping, but, AFS Wheels took care of me.

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 07:34 PM

Your rears though will NOT be a match to your fronts. Correct? I thought their 36's had both the shallow pocket for the lug nuts (similar to the fronts) and that they had done a wider flange at the wheel lip. Is that correct also?

Did they provide you with a snapshot of the replacement product?

efnfast 04-15-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 223868)
Your rears though will NOT be a match to your fronts. Correct? I thought their 36's had both the shallow pocket for the lug nuts (similar to the fronts) and that they had done a wider flange at the wheel lip. Is that correct also?

Did they provide you with a snapshot of the replacement product?

I don't have an answer to that question.
No, they did not provide a picture. I didn't ask for one.

WVZR-1 04-15-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223869)
I don't have an answer to that question.
No, they did not provide a picture. I didn't ask for one.

I believe you'll be fine with what you've arranged for an exchange. I likely mistakenly thought you received 11" rear wheels with the "deep-pocket" lugs and you likely didn't. All of yours likely have the wider flange and a matching lug pocket on both the fronts and rears so if you liked your @50 wheels then the @36 should be the same as. If you did receive the "deep-pocket" rears for your first order you do want to ask about the replacements though.

I believe you've done the right thing with the exchange. I apologize for maybe confusing the issue.

XfireZ51 04-16-2015 08:55 AM

AFS hasn't made the deep lug, narrow band wheels for a number of years. Not sure if they changed in response to pressure from GM or just supplier modification.

efnfast 04-16-2015 09:57 AM

I'm not trying to fool anybody into thinking these are original A-Molds, so really don't care if they are not a direct match.

efnfast 04-16-2015 04:29 PM

Guys, rears are definately 36mm offset correct? I just found a note I had that said 50mm offset.

RussMcB 04-16-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efnfast (Post 223915)
Guys, rears are definately 36mm offset correct? I just found a note I had that said 50mm offset.

Here is a spec sheet of various Corvette wheels and suspension:

http://www.netmotive.net/articles/hib/c4/sustunch.pdf

WVZR-1 04-16-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Yes 36 is correct.

KILLSHOTS 04-16-2015 05:41 PM

Quote:

They are definitely 36mm. The 50mm 17x11s were the wheels that were used on the rear of the 1996 Grand Sport. (coupes only)

Dime 04-16-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussMcB (Post 223916)

Look again. What you linked also says 36 offset for the ZR-1 in the rear.

Mystic ZR-1 04-16-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussMcB (Post 223916)

Pretty sure no production 84s rolled on 15 inch wheels.
Not that it has anything to do with the subject of this string...
Steve, your car's gonna look great with those black wheels!

GOLDCYLON 04-16-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

36mm is the correct rear offset. 50MM is the GS offset

efnfast 04-16-2015 07:39 PM

Thank you gents. the 50's are packed up and ready to be picked up tomorrow. 'Magine if I shipped back the right ones?
Thanks Doug, I think the black rims are gonna' look great. Plus I putting a red pinstripe on them.

tf95ZR1 04-19-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Hey Steve!
I used to have AFS's on my Z. I happen to live about 5 miles from them.
I noticed my offset wasn't correct and they swapped out the rims.
Have you contacted them? Want me to go over there and talk to them?
I assume your new rims are in good condition.
See you at BG?
Ted

efnfast 04-19-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 (Post 224062)
Hey Steve!
I used to have AFS's on my Z. I happen to live about 5 miles from them.
I noticed my offset wasn't correct and they swapped out the rims.
Have you contacted them? Want me to go over there and talk to them?
I assume your new rims are in good condition.
See you at BG?
Ted

Thanks for the offer Ted.
Julio at AFS told me as soon as he saw my rims were picked up, he'd ship out the right ones. I let him know when mine were picked up, he told me mine shipped out days ago. As long as these wheels don't fall apart, nothing but good things to say about this company.
My new fronts appear to be in fine condition, I always worry about them getting dropped or something in shipping. I haven't spun them yet to know they are true. The rears I don't have yet, so can't speak for them.
Now I just have to decide when to put them on the car. I've got new Eagle F1's for the rear, but my old tires just passed inspection, so I need to wear them out first. Maybe I'll just wear them out the fast way.:dancing
My OEM rims are slightly out of round which is what started all this.

Z51JEFF 04-19-2015 09:58 PM

Years ago I ordered a set of hub centric spacers for some GS wheels from a guy that owned a fab shop down in L.A. The guy's name was Fred Groesch a drag racer from the 60s but I had never heard of him. In this months issue of Hot Rod there's a tribute to people that died recently and Fred Groesch is one of the people in the article. Sorry about the hijack.

WVZR-1 04-20-2015 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF (Post 224114)
Years ago I ordered a set of hub centric spacers for some GS wheels from a guy that owned a fab shop down in L.A. The guy's name was Fred Groesch a drag racer from the 60s but I had never heard of him. In this months issue of Hot Rod there's a tribute to people that died recently and Fred Groesch is one of the people in the article. Sorry about the hijack.

That was Fred Goeske he!! of a guy. I did many sets of different adapter/spacers from him through the years and we had many conversations that were quite long. Fred had some fabulous stories. He had a friend and even in his late 60's they in his words "lessoned" a few in I believe a MB AMG on Sunday drives on the LA Freeways. His friend he mentioned was maybe more "fearless". I remembered Fred quite well from his "FC days.

The last time I spoke to Fred was when he did the adapter for Ted's spare, Ted and I discussed it, Fred and I exchanged a few e-mails and a phone call discussing it. Ted was very close to Fred so I sent him by the shop.

http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-in...s-fred-goeske/