ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New replacement windshields (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35035)

rufcar 11-14-2023 02:57 PM

New replacement windshields

Today I called Safelite. Here in pa our local shop is in Seliensgrove pa. They tell me they are in stock and cost 466. +/- and am awaiting scheduling. The local installer is double checking so that we are all on the same page. The Ohio folks I initially spoke to said 157 were in stock. I just wanted to be on line for one. They do need to do this in there shop i was told. I will know more soon. Jim facinelli

SAB 11-14-2023 09:56 PM

Re: New replacement windshields

This is great news for the community. As a purist, I am curious to see what differences there are (if any) vs. an original windshield.

zyal8r 11-14-2023 11:14 PM

Hi - I'm excited about this and will call mine tomorrow, however, I had understood only 30 early ones and 30 later ones would be made, initially. If someone knows differently... fantastic! Keep us posted, and I'll do the same.

Mike

rufcar 11-15-2023 11:01 AM

So after setting up appointments etc it turns out the glass they are getting in is DW01112 its an o9lder updated version NOT the exact replacement we all want which is DW01085. No one seems to know whats going on with the original run we are all waiting for. Mine is extremely bad so I might go with the DW01112. It has all the cut outs in the glass and is a later replacement. I am not sure who in the registry started the glass replacement or where we are today but apparently safelite here in PA has no clue? Sorry for the excitment only to be left down in the end. jim

zyal8r 11-15-2023 03:16 PM

Dang, I didn't know there were some other replacements still out there. I might do that too. How far off are they from what we're waiting on? Mine is about as bad as you can get. I can't really drive the car most days. See post #118 in this thread. https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2852&page=12

The *entire* windshield looks like this... except for the cutout :(

Mike

zyal8r 11-15-2023 04:27 PM

Is DW01085 the large cutout for earlier cars, or the small cutout for later cars?

rufcar 11-16-2023 08:17 AM

I do not know. I am awaiting its arrival to my local shop and they will call when it is in. My car is a 90 and I am not familiar with the 2 different sizes? Do you happen to know how big they are so I can compare? Jim

Dynomite 11-16-2023 12:46 PM

Discussions regarding DW0112 versus DW01085 ZR-1 windshields taking place as we speak :cheers:

Discussion related to Glass Tinting wherein the 1990 L98s have Clear Glass and the 1990-1995 ZR1s came original with tinted glass......

I actually have replaced the windshield (Safelite did the work) on 90 (number 72) with a ZR-1 windshield having the wider (earlier) "cut out" which those windshields were being made several years ago. I think I still have 2 of those windshields.

More information in the link Safelite Windshield Install TIPS [/color]

5ABI VT 11-16-2023 01:33 PM

is Safelite the name of a windshield replacement chain in the u.s. ? Im in canada.. wondering if i can somehow get it brought up here or ill have to just make a drive over the border to bring one back.

rufcar 11-16-2023 09:16 PM

Dynomite, what branch and who did you deal with? I am just not sure what they are selling. Tkx jim

zyal8r 11-17-2023 12:02 AM

I called Safelite yesterday - the number I called was supposed to be Lee's Summit, MO, however, through the automated menu, I have no idea if I actually spoke to someone in the store. I asked very explicitly to confirm which part #s they had. I first had to make a reservation online for them to find me at all... fair enough, but in talking to them, I asked about the part number. I believe they said DW01085 was in fact in stock. I asked about the DW01112, but they couldn't tell me. I asked what size the cutout was on DW01085. The person I spoke to was very helpful, but she told me she'd need to have her parts manager confirm for me what DW01085 really was. Of course, no call back today. My appointment is currently set (randomly) for 11/30... but I won't do this unless I can confirm what the part really is ahead of time.

Mike

rufcar 11-17-2023 07:48 AM

zyal8r I did the same in fact I'm supposed to be at the store now fri 8am when they know that don't even have the glass in stock? I believe their automatic system is not connected to their actual store system. I do have the mangers number and will be calling him sometime this am.
I called and my Safelite even called the national offices and not a single person knows anything about any special glass being made so I am at a total loss. All that is available is the standard solar glass with just the vin cut out. Its getting hard to even see much so I may just go with that. Jim

zyal8r 11-19-2023 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufcar (Post 340854)
zyal8r I did the same in fact I'm supposed to be at the store now fri 8am when they know that don't even have the glass in stock? I believe their automatic system is not connected to their actual store system. I do have the mangers number and will be calling him sometime this am.
I called and my Safelite even called the national offices and not a single person knows anything about any special glass being made so I am at a total loss. All that is available is the standard solar glass with just the vin cut out. Its getting hard to even see much so I may just go with that. Jim

I've considered it, but the tinted windshield is one of the quirks I love about the ZR-1. I want mine to be correct if at all possible. I have waited the two years I've owned the car (bought it like this). Mine's so bad I hesitate to drive it far. Sad for a car with only 5900 miles. This one is just completely bad. I can wait a little longer, but not another year. My other idea is a normal C4 windshield with tint to look like the correct one. Trying to be patient, but it's pretty difficult, I wish someone could give us a date.

Mike

CarNut72 12-18-2023 12:22 PM

I have tried calling and emailing safelite on this question and have gotten no reply or answer. Their automated phone system will cut you off after their series of menus and will never connect you to a human to have a conversation. I have tried calling the local store/branch with no success. All of the phone numbers are disconnected. Has anyone been able to successfully get their OEM windshield replaced with the safelite project glass? Would love to do this but I am struggling. Thanks for any help.

zyal8r 12-18-2023 11:12 PM

I eventually kept hitting whatever the menu option was to talk to an operator/scheduler. I had to actually make an appointment (for the wrong windshield) for them to talk to me with real data. The store manager I spoke to (in Lee's Summit, MO) knew nothing about the reproduction ZR-1 windshields, and that seems to be the case with others on this forum. So whatever Safelite has right now... isn't it!

CarNut72 12-19-2023 06:24 AM

Thank you. I finally messaged them on Twitter and got a reply. Supposed to call me. We?ll see.

CarNut72 12-19-2023 07:08 PM

Update: I spoke with the Safelite in Cleveland, OH today. The manager told me they would not touch a 1990 corvette let alone a ZR1. He stated the glass was not a problem but the seals would be and they would not touch the car. I suspect they would not be able to get the glass but wanted to share their feedback as I received it. If this is a program with Safelite, the word is not out to the branches at all. If anyone has details they can share about how they have had success, it would be greatly appreciated.

viper107 12-20-2023 10:57 AM

it amazes me that safelight supposed to know about the zr-1 glass,but no one seems to know at any location ,lol. silly days are here

Dynomite 12-20-2023 11:43 AM

Safelight did replace my 1990 ZR1 windshield a few years ago (I furnished the Windshield and Weather Stripping) :)

Safelite Windshield Install TIPS

Additional information on windshields.......

Post 254 - Windshields
Windshield poll
Windshield delamination poll
Safelite Windshield Install TIPS
Windshield Removal TIPS
Windshield wipers TIPS
Windshield Replacement TIPS
Windshield trim moulding/weatherstrip removal & reinstall TIPS

Dynomite 12-20-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufcar (Post 340851)
Dynomite, what branch and who did you deal with? I am just not sure what they are selling. Tkx jim

Safelite Visalia, CA

CarNut72 01-08-2024 06:44 PM

Are we sure this is a legit program with Safelite? I have not found anyone at Safelite who knows about this program? I would like to take advantage of the hard work that has taken place to get this going. Do I just need to be patient? Any help is appreciated.

secondchance 01-08-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomite (Post 340839)
It appears our ZR-1 Windshields are now at Safelite as production units and have the correct markings :thumbsup:

Hang on.....may not be exactly what is expected👎

Discussions regarding DW0112 versus DW01085 ZR-1 windshields taking place as we speak :cheers:

Maybe related to "cut outs (clear glass)" on drivers side lower part of windshield wherein the 90s have a 10" wide clear glass and 95s the clear glass is 4.5" wide........

I actually have replaced the windshield (Safelite did the work) on 90 (number 72) with a ZR-1 windshield having the wider (earlier) "cut out" which those windshields were being made several years ago. I think I still have 2 of those windshields.

More information in the link Safelite Windshield Install TIPS

Hey Cliff - 94s have narrow (4.5?) radar detector ports as well.
Edit: misread your post. You were specifically referring to your personal 90 and 95.

Dynomite 01-08-2024 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondchance (Post 341371)
Hey Cliff - 94s have narrow (4.5?) radar detector ports as well.
Edit: misread your post. You were specifically referring to your personal 90 and 95.

I have a 90 and 91 with clear glass width of 10" and a 95 with clear glass width of 4-1/2".....

Starman 01-15-2024 11:59 AM

So Saturday I went to Safelite to get the 91 windshield replaced. The correct windshield is a solar glass DW01085. When I got to the store the work order had been changed again to the DW01112 which is for a base Corvette, green with no window. Speaking with Safelite today, the DW01085 is no longer available, so back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

CarNut72 01-15-2024 01:07 PM

Thanks for the update. I got the same message from them. UGH 😑

Starman 01-15-2024 04:39 PM

Thanks Dynomite, I called Safelite and pointed out that DIYAutoglass.net has the correct glass under the same part number. We are rescheduled again for 1/27. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. Perhaps 4th try will be a charm? One thing to note, while called out as ZR-1 Solar Glass, DIYAutoglass.net does show this as one size fits all for 90-95's. Still has to be better than the base glass. Next update 1/27.

Starman 01-18-2024 10:33 AM

Update 1/18/24: Safelite cannot get the correct windshield at all. The only thing they can provide is the DW01112 which is the base car, green windshield, no cut out-as verified with my own eyes.

If anyone comes up with another option, please share.

98indypacer 01-30-2024 06:22 PM

Can we get an official update from the liaison please?

Dynomite 02-28-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98indypacer (Post 341669)
Can we get an official update from the liaison please?

I am not the Liaison......but this may suffice.....

Post 254 - Windshields

WARP TEN 03-09-2024 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynomite (Post 341942)
I am not the Liaison......but this may suffice.....

Post 254 - Windshields

I am curious?would it be possible for some with tinting experience to create a tint material template to replicate the appearance of the radar detector cutout? Something that could be applied to a regular windshield prior to installation? I know that wouldn?t satisfy the NCRS but maybe it would look right to casual observers. Or maybe just can?t be done well. Anyway just wondering. ? Bob

zyal8r 03-09-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARP TEN (Post 342073)
I am curious?would it be possible for some with tinting experience to create a tint material template to replicate the appearance of the radar detector cutout? Something that could be applied to a regular windshield prior to installation? I know that wouldn?t satisfy the NCRS but maybe it would look right to casual observers. Or maybe just can?t be done well. Anyway just wondering. ? Bob

Hi Bob. I took this question to a local tint shop back when I first bought my ZR-1 (August, 2021). As I've posted here in other threads, mine has got to be the absolute worst out there... at the time, I don't believe that the reproduction windshields had been announced, and David's run of them was depleted. The local shop said they could replicate the look, including the cutout. The tint would be regular window tint, and would best be done before the windshield would be installed in the car. I paused upon hearing about the new run of reproductions with the proper "sandwiched-inside" tinting... I have really been waiting to go that route, but, two years plus in, now, I am really sad I can't drive it very far. It's such an awesome car, I want so badly to drive it. I'm getting impatient, so I may end up going this route if we don't get an update soon. Of course, it will be right after I do this, that the reproductions will be released! :-({|=

FWIW...

Mike

Dynomite 03-09-2024 10:28 AM

Windshield Delamination Poll

It appears 242 ZR1s 1990-1995 had delamination in the poll.......
The degree of delamination is mentioned in the various responses in the Poll.....

A1990 is the last response in that Delamination Poll a week ago (that would be March 2024) regarding windshields.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1990 (Post 341929)
Just a quick update on the windshields. After Corvettes of Carlisle last fall, there were several modifications that were made to the windshields that we were sent.

The VIN plate was about a half inch too high, the boarder was about a half inch too narrow and there was a line at the bottom where the boarder and the tint meet. I was hoping that these changes would not stop production but they are apparently it has.

I have not received word as of last week about when we might see them.

I will continue to pursue and let you know when I find anything out.

zyal8r 03-10-2024 11:13 PM

It would be interesting to document serial numbers, but likely unrealistic. I've seen a few of the early '95s with problems. #10 is advertised for sale currently and it looks to have been replaced. My #4 is abysmal. I sometimes wonder if it is worse on (some) cars that are stored inside and rarely driven for most of their lives. #448 at the museum... there was a low-mile '95 AB on BaT a couple years ago (I believe it was a forum member's), there are pictures of #200 red/red for sale with nearly no miles, the list goes on. I have seen more pictures of '93/'94/'95 completely crazed over like mine than the earlier ones.

Mike

rufcar 03-13-2024 10:58 PM

My 90 is getting harder to see a little more every day and its in a heated garage but I do drive it as often as I can. I am giving up on waiting for a replacement and I soon plan to reschedule installing the standard Tint and be done with it. I can't imagine it will make a difference in the price if I ever sell it. There was a NOS windshield for sale on here last week but it was 2K plus shipping across the country. I don't need it that bad. Mine is solid gold covered the top 8" and appox 3" on each edge. Its too bad that when I asked the seller if it was delaminated, he said no. I believed him. Live goes on.