ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Replacement Tire Suggestions (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26937)

KILLSHOTS 09-29-2016 10:01 AM

Re: Replacement Tire Suggestions

As I stated, definitely can't speak to road noise, but they hook better than most anything else that fits a Z. As far as lateral grip is concerned, it's just silly with these things...they stick so well that they will accentuate any slop that exists in a vehicle's chassis, which may or not be a good thing. Plus, they look cool and they're a real 315 (as opposed to a Sumi, which seemed more like a 285 to me.) Highly recommended, especially considering they cost less than the Goodyears.

I searched for a rear pic of my car but I guess I deleted them all. This won't really show you the width very well but maybe you can tell somewhat. They definitely fill the wheelwells better than Sumis or Nittos.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/attachment....7&d=1418485690

Kwood 09-29-2016 04:03 PM

That is one bad *** looking Z. This leads me to another question. Everyone seems to get different rims. Mine is all original stock, too, and I like the razor blades. Is there a reason I can't use them with new tires?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

KILLSHOTS 09-29-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwood (Post 248119)
That is one bad *** looking Z. This leads me to another question. Everyone seems to get different rims. Mine is all original stock, too, and I like the razor blades. Is there a reason I can't use them with new tires?

Thanks. I do miss that car.

All OEM ZR-1 wheels, be they '90 cuisinarts, '91-'93 sawblades or '94-'95 A-molds, were manufactured in identical sizes and offsets. Furthermore, all ZR-1s were fitted with 275/40/17 front tires and 315/35/17 rear tires. Does this answer your question?

Kwood 09-29-2016 04:20 PM

Think so. I get the sizing, just was not sure why EVERYONE seems to get custom.

KILLSHOTS 09-29-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwood (Post 248122)
Think so. I get the sizing, just was not sure why EVERYONE seems to get custom.

Just like any other car, guys like to have something unique. But it's very difficult with a ZR-1, due to the age of the cars and how odd the sizes and offsets are. If you want to do it right, you either have to have expensive wheels custom-made, or buy some other guy's custom-made wheels.

Bob Eyres 09-29-2016 05:01 PM

They get them primarily because they want to "upgrade" to larger size rims to accommodate the lower profile tires developed in the years since the original ZR-1 sizes were established. Some think it makes the car look more modern.

I'm probably in the minority, because I like to use the original size wheels, and design, because they look "right" for that car. Maybe you can get away with (Plus one), which is 18". But larger than that looks goofy to me on a car designed more that thirty years ago. And the worst is big a** wheels and low profile tires on an early Corvette resto-mod. Many people differ on this, of course, but that's what gives the hobby variety.
One mod that I've wanted to do on my ZR-1 is widen the rear rims to 12" and use 335x35x17' tires. To me, "wider IS cool".

Sorry for the long winded opinion, but IMHO, the older these cars get, the more we should leave them alone, design wise......power mods, that's another story.:dancing

CamP 09-29-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Eyres (Post 248124)

I'm probably in the minority, because I like to use the original size wheels, and design, because they look "right" for that car. Maybe you can get away with (Plus one), which is 18". But larger than that looks goofy to me on a car designed more that thirty years ago. And the worst is big a** wheels and low profile tires on an early Corvette resto-mod. Many people differ on this, of course, but that's what gives the hobby variety.
One mod that I've wanted to do on my ZR-1 is widen the rear rims to 12" and use 335x35x17' tires. To me, "wider IS cool".

Sorry for the long winded opinion, but IMHO, the older these cars get, the more we should leave them alone, design wise......power mods, that's another story.:dancing

I agree Bob. I had 95 wheels on my 90 and I sold them and put the stock 90 wheels back on because it just looks "right". The car has a Corey Henderson built, fully ported top end and I love that it's a sleeper.

Kwood 09-29-2016 08:19 PM

All great info, what a great forum. I agree with original, and the 90 is the only with salad shooter or whatever you want to call them. I love them. Still not sure which tires to buy but I have a lot more info now!

henryr 09-29-2016 10:58 PM

what about the mickey thompson street comps.... ?

Bob Eyres 09-30-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryr (Post 248141)
what about the mickey thompson street comps.... ?

They look like they'd be better in the wet than the Toyos. They are relatively cheap @ less than $150 (fronts), and come in the right sizes.

Is anybody here running them?