PDA

View Full Version : Pad life

Jeffvette
10-09-2009, 06:03 PM
How long does the backing normally last on the polishing pads? I've got one pad that just gave up, while my other pads still secure just as they did from day 1.

4DSZR1
10-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I think you might be in the wrong forum for this question :jawdrop:

Jeffvette
10-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Mind in the gutter again...... I like it!

Aurora40
10-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Rotary or orbital? It seems to me orbitals tend to beat up the backing plate more, though I'm not sure why.

The backing *should* last the life of the pad, though sometimes that's not the case.

Who makes the pads you are using?

tomtom72
10-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Rotary or orbital? It seems to me orbitals tend to beat up the backing plate more, though I'm not sure why.

The backing *should* last the life of the pad, though sometimes that's not the case.

I agree. Proly just a defective pad? Although a rotary just makes a circle. ROB's make the pad change direction constantly, maybe that puts stress on the backing vs the pad material?

FU
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Pad life, Just don't go there ! [-X

Jeffvette
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM

It's an orbital and the pads are from Adams. The other pads I have are fine, it's just this one.

Aurora40
10-11-2009, 01:18 PM
It's an orbital and the pads are from Adams. The other pads I have are fine, it's just this one.
Sounds like a bad pad then. You might call 'em and see if they'll replace it.

Just FYI, but an interesting alternative is the Edge 2000 pads. They use a locking sorta system with no velcro. The pads cost a little more, but are double-sided. You can also change them more quickly, and they are self-centering (though with an orbital that matters less than a rotary).

They used to be an independent company, but I think 3M bought them? Or I just can't find their website anymore...

Dylan@Adams
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
What specifically failed you?? Theres been some cases of people using the pads where the pad wasn't fully seated on the velcro and it kinda tore the velcro up. Its always best to take the palm of your hand and press hard into the center of the pad before starting.

In any event please contact our customer service so we can get to the bottom of this for you and get a replacement out asap.

866-965-0400

Jeffvette
10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Dylan, anytime I seat the pad I make sure to press down with my hand, or use the surface of the car as point to seat. I'll be more than happy to send the pad to you for an inspection.

Thanks!

Dylan@Adams
10-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Dylan, anytime I seat the pad I make sure to press down with my hand, or use the surface of the car as point to seat. I'll be more than happy to send the pad to you for an inspection.

Thanks!

Not at all necessary, just pointing out that anytime in the past I've heard of problems similar to this its turned out the user wasn't fully seating the pads on the backing plate before starting. If thats not the case with yours maybe its just a defective pad... in any event make sure to call and get it replaced ASAP. We back everything up we sell so lets get you a new pad!! :handshak:

jonszr1
10-25-2009, 01:20 AM
what speed were you using the pad weh it went bad .if you are using a porter cable meguires found that 5 and above created enough heat to seperate the backing from the pad . you can use yellow 3 m glue to put it back on .

Dylan@Adams
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
If you're generating any measurable amount of heat with a porter cable then something is seriously wrong. I can polish all day and the pad is barely warm at speed 6 on the 7424xp... this weekend at a clinic I demonstrated this to more than a few people after polishing the hood of a black car with some deep swirls for the better part of 20 minutes the pad was not even warm, definitely not hot enough to cause delamination.