PDA

View Full Version : Trip Preparation

4DSZR1
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM
I was trading emails with Jeff F recently about driving our cars out to BG next May, and what things we need to do to our cars to prepare them for the journey.

So let me throw the question out to the experienced Boy Scouts out there. What stuff should I be checking and/or replacing. I have a handle on obvious i.e.. oils, greases, fluids and coolant, but I know there are others.

Also, what spare parts, tools should we pack along with a large credit card with a high limit.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Jeffvette
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I was trading emails with Jeff F recently about driving our cars out to BG next May, and what things we need to do to our cars to prepare them for the journey.

So let me throw the question out to the experienced Boy Scouts out there. What stuff should I be checking and/or replacing. I have a handle on obvious i.e.. oils, greases, fluids and coolant, but I know there are others.

Also, what spare parts, tools should we pack along with a large credit card with a high limit.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Rick short list.

Ball joints
Bearings
Fluids
Tires (age & wear)

Things to carry
V1
Air pump for a possible flat
Can of fix a flat
Cash for the hookers
Small tool set. Enough to get by. I don't think you will pull a trans on the side of the road.

For the drive I'm packing an alternator water pump, some plenum gaskets, and a couple of serp belts. Plus these items don't take a lot of room in the car.

I figure those will be the expendable items that can easily be replaced that are not easy to come by from a parts store in BFE.

4DSZR1
09-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Good list.... How much cash :p

I don't have a water pump, been thinking with 56K I should start looking. I have the serp belt.

.....need more cash.........

Polo-1
09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

Jeffvette
09-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

:handshak:

4DSZR1
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

Brilliant :worship:

Hammer
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm going through the cooling system this year. New hoses, t-stat and maybe radiator from www.corvetterecycling.com (http://www.corvetterecycling.com) if I replace it. I'll have a bag of tools and a few spares also. Defintely some plenum gaskets.

4DSZR1
09-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Great idea.... hoses added to the list. I replaced the t-stat a couple years ago

GOLDCYLON
09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Couple of those red shop rags. Wrap them around the can of Fix a flat. Make sure you change out the wiper blades before the trip. Maybe a few fuses and common bulbs?

Nick
09-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06
:thumbsup:

MikeG
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
A lot of things could go wrong on a long trip, but I just took #135 ('91 with 70+K miles) on a 5K+adventure - SD to TX to WA, then back home to SD. The only trouble I had was the oil pressure switch leaking. Once it was replaced the only other problem was having to refuel the Beast ever so often! Oh yeah, I forgot, locked my keys in the car in Yellowstone. Having good AAA coverage is a good thing to have!

WydGlydJim
02-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Couple of those red shop rags. Wrap them around the can of Fix a flat. Make sure you change out the wiper blades before the trip. Maybe a few fuses and common bulbs?

I went to get some refills the other day, and believe it or not, not a soul in Wichita sells em........only the whole blade.......uhggg! Anyone got a tip on a source?
:confused:

ZZZZZR1
02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Rick short list.

Cash for the hookers

Best advice I have heard yet!

:cheers:

David

ps Kevin that was excellent advice with the insurance....

QB93Z
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I went to get some refills the other day, and believe it or not, not a soul in Wichita sells em........only the whole blade.......uhggg! Anyone got a tip on a source?
:confused:

I use ExactFit by Trico. 20-2 is on the package. I get them at AdvanceAuto and Auto Zone here on the East coast.

Giood Luck.

Jim

Dynomite
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
For the drive I'm packing an alternator water pump, some plenum gaskets, and a couple of serp belts. Plus these items don't take a lot of room in the car.

If you are in a pack of Zs.....and you are the parts guy...yes to this list. I used to carry water pump, alternator, hoses, belts, and even gaskets. I found that I never used them including the fluids I took along :mrgreen:

I do carry a volt/ohm meter as well as a couple screw drivers (flat and philips), metric allen and torx set. I also carry a metric socket set and flex metric ratchet set.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/dynomite007/ZR1/Universaladapter.jpghttp://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/dynomite007/ZR1/wobbleextension2.jpghttp://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/dynomite007/ZR1/Wobbleextension.jpghttp://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll142/dynomite007/ZR1/flexmetricratchet.jpg

The tools are a bit overdone but I may use them on someone elses car that has had poor maintenance or poor trip preparation. I also carry a good flashlight or even two flashlights. Yes....a credit card with high limit and good cell phone with Jeff's number.

I concur with Daryll :thumbsup: