PDA

View Full Version : Maintnance

LORDVDR
09-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Gents,

I finally have some free weekends coming up and looking to get some maintnance done on my Z. Problem is I am not all that mechanical. Anyone interested in teaching me a few things? I have a small oil leak under the plenum. Need the oil changed, and perhaps the once over to make sure I don't blow it up.

I live in the Prince Frederick, Solomons Island area in southern Maryland. I'll buy the parts, THE BEEF and the alcohol. ANyone interested?

Thanks,

Steve :iamwithst

Scrrem
09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Gents,

I finally have some free weekends coming up and looking to get some maintnance done on my Z. Problem is I am not all that mechanical. Anyone interested in teaching me a few things? I have a small oil leak under the plenum. Need the oil changed, and perhaps the once over to make sure I don't blow it up.

I live in the Prince Frederick, Solomons Island area in southern Maryland. I'll buy the parts, THE BEEF and the alcohol. ANyone interested?

Thanks,

Steve :iamwithst

I haven't done a plenum pull myself yet (although it in my future), but I would be willing to help.

Rich

QB93Z
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Steve,

I would be glad to help! I am tied up the next two weekends though. Are you available any evenings or weekdays?

Jim

Aurora40
09-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Before you tear into the plenum, how have you determined that's where the oil leak is from?

ZZZZZR1
09-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Steve,

Count me in... Lets coordinate a time.

:thumbsup:

David

LORDVDR
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Dave and company are looking at October 1st afternoon and evening in Westminster. As far as the oil leak, I see oil puddled under the plenum. Not sure where its coming from. The plenum or the covers?

Steve

QB93Z
09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
We will meet at my garage (in Westminster) on Thursday, Oct 1st, at 12:00 pm. Everyone is invited. We will hang out and get some maintenance done. :thumbsup:

Scheduled so far:

Change the oil in Steve's 1990 ZR-1.

Look for the source of the oil leak in Steve's 1990. We will have time to pull the plenum and tighten down the crankcase ventilation box if that is the problem.

Fix David's speakers that are not working.

Detail Jim's 1994 to get ready for the Fast Cars and Freedom Car Show.

I hope more people will stop by during the day or evening! :occasion1 :dancing

Jim

Jeffvette
09-18-2009, 04:58 PM
As far as the oil leak, I see oil puddled under the plenum. Not sure where its coming from. The plenum or the covers?

Steve

When you say "under the plenum", where exactly are you talking about?

LORDVDR
09-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Here are some pics of my oil leak. Its puddled under plenum.680

Its on both sides. I have the oil and filter for the oil change. Should I get any gaskets or other parts?

Steve:dontknow:

Jeffvette
09-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Injector housings gaskets, with a combination of the 90 degree rubber boots for the PCV system.

LORDVDR
09-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Any place online that you would recommend to get those? Any to avoid?

Thanx

Steve

ZRGator
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
We will meet at my garage (in Westminster) on Thursday, Oct 1st, at 12:00 pm. Everyone is invited. We will hang out and get some maintenance done. :thumbsup:

Scheduled so far:

Change the oil in Steve's 1990 ZR-1.

Look for the source of the oil leak in Steve's 1990. We will have time to pull the plenum and tighten down the crankcase ventilation box if that is the problem.

Fix David's speakers that are not working.

Detail Jim's 1994 to get ready for the Fast Cars and Freedom Car Show.

I hope more people will stop by during the day or evening! :occasion1 :dancing

Jim

Jim,

I need some help getting the Ruby ready for NCRS Top-flight judging on Oct 25th....need lumbar seat pumps repaired and other stuff....wouldn't think we could do all this stuff in one day, maybe schedule another day and have a pizza and beer session? Pizza and beer on me, of course...
ZRGator

QB93Z
09-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Gator,

Come on up. You are always welcome. We will take a look at your lumbar pump. I believe that a new diaphram will fix it. And we will see what else we can get to on your list.

Jim

ZRGator
09-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Great, Jim....and maybe dave will weigh in and tell me the name of the guy that refinishes wheels so maybe I can find out how long it will take to get them refinished.....see you tomorrow....:cool:

QB93Z
09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
David will be here tomorrow.

Jim

HIZNHRZ
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Dave,

If you don't mind and I can work it out, I'd like to try and stop by on my way home from work. Can you tell me what time you guys are starting and when you'll be quiting for the day? Also, would you mind sending me a PM with your address?

Thanks,
Scott

ZZZZZR1
09-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Dave,

If you don't mind and I can work it out, I'd like to try and stop by on my way home from work. Can you tell me what time you guys are starting and when you'll be quiting for the day? Also, would you mind sending me a PM with your address?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

Can do. PM'ing you the address now. Starting about 1pm and finishing... Unsure, my guess 7ish? After dinner and drinks!

Rick and Dennis are planning on coming too.
Talk soon

David

QB93Z
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Scott, I am glad to hear that you will try to make it up here. David sent you my address.

BTW on Sunday, 4 Oct, at 8:00 am, I will be helping Darrin replace the rear spring in his 1990. (We are also going to remove and reinstall the transmission in my 1993.) You are welcome to come up then also to see the rear suspension taken apart. I remember that you had some questions about suspension ride heights.

If you need directions, call me: 443-244-1347

Jim

HIZNHRZ
09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks Jim. I got the PM from Dave. I'm thinking I should be able to make it (before 7PM). I'm certainly going to try. Going to see what I can do about Sunday as well.

Scott

QB93Z
10-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Maintenance Day # 1 was a great success. Five local area ZR-1 owners got together and helped each other work on our cars.
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/2009%20Oct%20First%20Maintenance%20Day/DSC02630.jpg

We did:
Oil change
Plenum pull to tighten injector housing bolts to stop a small oil leak
Radio replacement
Window up/down switch replacement
Battery cutoff switch installation
PCV hoses replacement
MAP Sensor tubing replacement
General cleaning

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/2009%20Oct%20First%20Maintenance%20Day/DSC02629.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/2009%20Oct%20First%20Maintenance%20Day/DSC02640.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/2009%20Oct%20First%20Maintenance%20Day/DSC02635.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/2009%20Oct%20First%20Maintenance%20Day/DSC02627.jpg

Most importantly we had good food (thanks to LORDVDR and Dominoes) and a good time. :cheers:

Jim

LORDVDR
10-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Fellas,

Had a great time Thursday. Thanks for everything.

Steve:cheers:

ZR1Vette
10-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh sooooo cool you guys!!! Great to see the Brotherhood out... just got back from Grenada and first thing I did was to see how this GTG went...and great weather to boot :handshak:

ZZZZZR1
10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Fellas,

Great seeing you again Steve!! Did you get that PVC valve from Jerry's Chevy?

:cheers:

David

secondchance
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Fellas,

I had such a great time I went back on Sunday!
I hope I don't wear out Jim's welcome.:cheers:

As for oil leak under plenum, I discovered my car is doing the same. Jim and I agree it's the gasket between injector housing and block. Jim tightened these bolts when the plenum was off so your issue may be resolved. If not will require new gasket for IH.:cheers:

QB93Z
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I had such a great time I went back on Sunday!
I hope I don't wear out Jim's welcome.:cheers:

SC, I am glad that you came back for round 2. You (and all the guys) are always welcome.

One of the neatest moments was when the Dominoes Pizza delivery guy stopped in the alley in front of the garages and commented that he liked delivering pizzas to us because he didn't even have to get out of the car.

Now if we could get a beer guy to make a drive by we would be set for the day. :cheers:

Jim

secondchance
10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
SC, I am glad that you came back for round 2. You (and all the guys) are always welcome.

One of the neatest moments was when the Dominoes Pizza delivery guy stopped in the alley in front of the garages and commented that he liked delivering pizzas to us because he didn't even have to get out of the car.

Now if we could get a beer guy to make a drive by we would be set for the day. :cheers:

Jim

Next get together I will be the beer guy! Bud? Sapporos? Perhaps Mexican? Oh, how about Zingtao - Made in China!