PDA

View Full Version : A Detail tip / removing water spots

GrayZ
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Have you ever noticed, when you sometimes wash your car, and
you don't get the water off with your shammy quick enough, like a sunny day and it leaves those litle bitty water spots in the paint,
and it seems no amount of rubbing will make them go away??
What has happened is the crap that is in our water has dried and attached itself to your car's paint.
On a Black car, Like mine, "Oprah MoneyPit" they are even easier to see.

Well, I have found the "old school remedy" to fix that problem.

..............................White Vinegar ...................

Yes, boys and girls,

WATER SPOTS
The spots and damage are caused by the minerals in the water. Calcium and metals are the most damaging elements found in your tap water, whereas rainwater may contain damaging acids from air pollutants.

Avoiding water spots is easy if you chase after them. The best solution is to use a quick detailing spray after you wash, or as soon as you discover the spots (i.e., when your neighbor's sprinkler gets you).

If the spots are allowed to dry and bake on, they will attach to and harden on your paint. When this happens, you need to use a mild acid to get them loose. Believe it or not, the best acid is also the least expensive and most available: a gallon jug of distilled white vinegar.

Expert car detailers have known this secret for years. If you take your car to a pro, they will tell you about the "magic acid bath" and charge you $60 or more for the pleasure of smelling like a pickle. Save the $60, put on some gloves, and get to it.

To give your car the magic acid bath, first wash your car with your normal car shampoo, rinse, then use the distilled vinegar. Just wipe it on with a sponge, and rub it in. Do one section at a time, let it sit 30 to 60 seconds, then rinse. When you're done, wash the car again with shampoo and rinse. By the way, vinegar will remove your wax. So, be prepared to re-wax your car after the vinegar treatment.

My car sat in the sun for several days (sucks being me) causing the hard water deposits to harden. Vinegar will remove the spots from the plastic tail lights and rubber trim, but the paint will need to be polished and buffed with a buffer, or if you are not so equiped,(sucks being you) a little rubbing with a diaper will suffice.
If water spots are allowed to stay for more than a week or so, the minerals will etch the paint. In this case, using vinegar will remove the mineral spots, but the paint will have etched spots (dimples). In this case, it is necessary to use a medium cut polish (if you have a polisher) or a fine cut polishing compound (for use by hand) to restore the paint surface.

So there you have it campers, water spots, are now history.
Of course there are some down sides, Vinegar has many uses, you might
find yourself competing with your wifey, or your local chef, so, i highly suggest, to go buy your own.
Happy polishing you waxers.

scottfab
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
hmmm no one ever responded to this.
Well first thanks for the post. It's a good one.
I have used a clay bar for same but can see the vinegar as
easier on the paint.
My best defense is preventive measures. Always parked in garage
and almost never driven in the rain.

93RubyZ
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the nice write up! :thumbsup:

xlr8nflorida
03-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I've been using vinegar and clay bar since the 90s.

I use a leaf blower to dry off the car to prevent water spots then I use Zaino towels to finish (sometimes I am too quick with leaf blower)

These towels are awesome for $25.

I'm sure someone will say they have a better one or cheaper one but man at $8 a towel, these things rock. I have had mine for over a year and they are like new. I do clean them after every use and store them in ziplock bag.

Dylan@Adams
03-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of pain.... or paint :D

Once you get those spots gone drying the car quickly is key, also using a pH neutral soap that won't dry and etch the paint is a huge plus. I also like to mist the paint with detail spray as I'm drying, it helps lubricate the surface a tad more, prevent any potential maring or swirls, and puts a little gloss on the surface if you're not planning on doing any wax/sealant beyond that.

GrayZ
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Detail Spray after final rinse is a great way to give your car that just waxed look, i started doing this procedure a couple of years ago,
you want honorable wax job ?? diaper and drive.

Hi Criag :hello:

ZZZZZR1
03-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Detail Spray after final rinse is a great way to give your car that just waxed look, i started doing this procedure a couple of years ago,
you want honorable wax job ?? diaper and drive.

Hi Criag :hello:

Try their Brilliant Spray with your Black ZZZZZZZZZ.... That makes the black pop! (even better than Detail spray)

:thumbsup:

David