PDA

View Full Version : Posting Pics on the Forum

bobbyhi
08-24-2005, 08:03 PM
It seems that all of my pics are too large for the forum. How do you reduce the pics in order to post??? Hope the answer isn't too tough for this old brain. Too many dead brain cells.......

Jeffvette
08-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Need to have a photoshop program. Most will be under image properties and either canvas size or image size.

Jeffvette
08-24-2005, 11:26 PM
BTW, 640x480 is typically good enough to use on most forums.

bobbyhi
08-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into it tonight.....:)

ShawnZR-1
08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Free and does 90% of what you'd need to do to a photo:
http://www.irfanview.com/

bobbyhi
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
OK. I downloaded InFanview. Now what? Don't understand all of the gargon that computer guys use.!!! Walk me thru please.....:)

ShawnZR-1
08-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Once you install Irfanview, it will associate itself with images etc. Double click on the image you want to resize and it will open in Irfanview.
Go to Image -> Resize/Resample (or CTRL-R) and it will pop open a window. You can select what resolution you want the image to be (for web posting, 640X480 is good). Select the resolution and click OK. Now, click File-> Save As. Name the new file (the old one will still be there unless you overwrite it).

Now you have a resized picture. The next task is to find a web host like www.picturetrail.com You need to have the picture "hosted" on a web server (generally, your home computer is not set up to be a web server). Upload the file to that server. There should be a link that you can use to publish the picture such as:"httq://www.picturetrail.com/mypicture.jpg" <---not a valid link but you should get the idea.

Once you have that link, you can post a picture directly on this forum by enclosing the link between IMG tags: [IMG]httq://www.picturetrail.com/mypicture.jpg[/JMG] except the second closing tag should have an I instead of J.

Clear as mud? I had to misname the link and tags otherwise the forum will parse them and change them to a link and picture.

WB9MCW
08-28-2005, 01:48 AM
KEWL BEEN LOOKIN 4 ONE LIKE THIS ADOBE IS TOO SLOW!!! :handshak:

bobbyhi
08-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks ShawnZR1. I will give it a try sometime today.....:)

ShawnZR-1
08-28-2005, 10:31 AM
KEWL BEEN LOOKIN 4 ONE LIKE THIS ADOBE IS TOO SLOW!!! :handshak:
Ugh, Adobe is a pig! As long as you aren't changing the contents of the picture, Irfanview will do everything you need. Photoshop has its place when it comes to doctoring a photo. I use it but the ratio of times is like 100 to 1!

bobbyhi
08-28-2005, 05:20 PM
Here we go....trying an attachment.....didn't work. I'll try again later...

ShawnZR-1
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Here we go....trying an attachment.....didn't work. I'll try again later...

What didn't work? Is the picture hosted somewhere? If so, post the link.