PDA

View Full Version : ZR1 Market -

Chris
08-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Looking to buy one these rascials (specifically a 1991), but prices are all over the place? I see a lot of Zr1's for sale with mileage in the 30's. Is maintenance required at that point that cost big bucks? I'm new to this but, just don't want to get taken... looking for a Z that is unmolested and super clean. What kinda prices should I be realistically seeing? Kelley Blue book, NADA Edmonds indicate Low Low twenties? Please shed some light is it better to pay a few bucks more for mileage in the teens vs 30's? :icon_scra

Scoob
08-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Buy the nicest one you can afford, but 30k miles on a well maintained LT5 is nothing to worry about. It's just getting broken in!

Z Factor
08-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Looking to buy one these rascials (specifically a 1991), but prices are all over the place?

Hello Chris, and welcome to the forum. :handshak:

If you have not read the following info, take a little time and it will be well invested if you want to own a King Of The Hill.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_buying.htm

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_prices.htm

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_sale.htm

Hope this helps, and we look forward to you becoming a fellow member.

JIM
:cheers:

We Gone
08-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Do your homework look at as many as you can..and if you find you you like I'm sure someone here thats close would be happy to check it out with ya or for you.

Best of luck and good hunting.

Jim Jones
08-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I too am new to the ZR-1 having just purchased mine on April 2, 2005. (Not that it was a big day or anything!!:mrgreen: ) I was originally looking for a C4 but the more I researched, the more I wanted a ZR-1. Mine had 53k on it when I bought it and I paid less than 20k for it. Was it a steal? I think so. It has a couple of scratches on it and the interior is not perfect, but I have spoken to both of the previous owners and a lot of receipts came with my car. Has my car been pampered? Sure, but it's also been driven in the rain and was a summer daily driver for almost 8 years.

Bottom line, I think it just really depends on what you want to pay for the car. As for the differences, I don't know of any problems specific to a 1991.

I'd be happy to check one out for you in my area if you need any help.

Good Luck!

Jim

tomtom72
08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Chris,
I found when I was looking that Z owners are methodical about maintenence. The car cost way too much to neglect. I found that to be true for original owners as well as subsequent owners. Having said that, we are still talking about used cars.
I also think you will notice that the cars with more milage will have had most of the "common problems" worked out. You know the wear related items like starters & alternators and such like. At least that it what I noticed when looking for my Z. Then there are the cars that have had various levels of tweeking. Those cars, I found, were owned by the very knowledgable enthusiast and were very well cared for. It takes some $ to enhance the performance of a Z!! You don't neglect that car!
I think the budget dictates what kind of Z you look for as always. I bought from an original owner & the car had low miles so I learned here what to expect in the way of "what would the car need" & was okay with those potiential costs. That was traded off for a car with 9200 miles & in like new condition cosmetically. It didn't take long for all the parts that don't react well to infrequent use to fail to my frequent use. Example: 4/28/05 9200 miles and now 8/20/05 13,506 & I just use the car on weekends & one trip to BG. Hyd sys for clutch was first, next there is slight vacuum leak under plenum to be done. Next the CD don't work, speakers already went to bose.

The car sat more than it was used so I think that contributed to what I have to deal with. Had the car been driven most of this stuff would have had to have been addressed before I got it. I wanted a car with the lowest milage I could find in my budget. Hind sight, I think I should have gone the other way & got one with more use on it. I'm not sorry I have my Z because it still smells new & I'm the one who will put THE miles on it!!

Sorry to be so long! Just wanted to give another view that might be of use.

Good luck in your search Chris!!

Tom

WB9MCW
08-20-2005, 12:01 PM
CHRIS the only two items i've had are a new clutch (went with a ceramic race type and went with an alum. flywheel) and a small (well known by zr-1 guys) oil leak off the header manifold hanger stud that I still have to fix. Oil and fluid changes,tires and brakes are things you have to do on going along with exterior maint. But other than that just have to find the time to drive my weekend warrior! btw, I have a 53k all orig.(cept paint job) 84 4sale if u have a need or a buddy lookin 4 a low mile 84 c4!!!

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/uploads/post-2-1111555366.jpg :wave: :wave:

ffvetteman
08-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Just for comparison, I bought a white 92 in Feb. It had 34K miles, 2 minor chips on the front, other than hat mint. Intertior mint. Underside mint. All paperwork including window sticker. New original equipment tires. And I paid 23K.

Best cer I ever bought.

Z Factor
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Any thoughts based on the replies so far Chris?

cuisinartvette
08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
High miler, here, runs super strong-Don't be afraid to lean on it once in awhile. These motors are amazing!

Chris
08-23-2005, 05:58 PM
It sounds like I just can't go wrong as long as it has been maintained. Marc Haibeck must be a god! The few owners I have talked to over the phone send their cars to him for service. Nothing but good things about his work. Its very rare today for people to praise others for fairness and the quality work. (Don't know the company or person and by all means not a recommendation just an observation).

Anyways- The hunt begins....over this past weekend I looked at a 1991 ZR1 that is local in Northwest burbs of Chicago. I don't care for the color combo but it was a low mile, well documented lots of extra's. Taking the advice from the board posting and I plan on looking at as many ZR1 as possible. I figure if I look at enough of them I'll know whats right (kinda like creating a benchmark). Inside my head still battling low mileage OR a car that was driven and has all the bugs worked out? The color combo plays a part as well.

Oh yeah, the windshield does have a minor lamination problem. Wouldn't know about the problem if I didn't read prior post or joined the registry.

Thanks for all the responses....it truly does help. More questions to come!

Chris
09-07-2005, 10:57 AM
If any memeber can be kind enough and check out ZR1 before I make a flight out to So. Cal. I'm in the chicagoland area don't want to spend $$ flying to California if car is not what the sales person states. I've been doen that road too often lately. Thanks

cuisinartvette
09-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm in the Los Angeles area, if I can help, let me know.

Z Factor
09-07-2005, 02:09 PM
If any memeber can be kind enough and check out ZR1 before I make a flight out to So. Cal. I'm in the chicagoland area don't want to spend $$ flying to California if car is not what the sales person states. I've been doen that road too often lately. Thanks

Where in S. Cal.?

I suspect there are several members who actually live out in S. Cal., but if none are available I will catch a plane out there to look at it for you. :thumbsup:

Chris
09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Corvette Mike
1133 North Tustin Avenue
Anaheim, California 92807

Is the location. Looking for someone local in CA. to check out the car. They claim the car is flawless?

WB9MCW
09-07-2005, 08:00 PM
if corvette mike said its mint then i bet 99 to 1 it will be....very well known vette dealer with a top notch rep!!! jimo but just like rodgers vette in fla. mike gets top buck for his mint vettes typically!!!

link to my vette in rodgers website (http://www.rogerscorvette.com/free/wadsworth.htm) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Z Factor
09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Corvette Mike
1133 North Tustin Avenue
Anaheim, California 92807

Is the location. Looking for someone local in CA. to check out the car. They claim the car is flawless?

No bite on my offer to fly out and see it? :wink:

I am actually going to be out in S. Cal. next week, so it is not as if I was going to fly out there just to see it for you. :mrgreen:

However, if I get a chance to swing by I'll take a quick look at it for you.

cuisinartvette
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
I cold swing out that way sometime this weekend, probably Sun. if they are open. Sure they wouldn't mind me taking pics, no?
I also have heard his cars are mint. Let me know

Where you going to be next week ,Dave?

Chris
09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
You ZR1 owners are the best group of guy. :cheers:

I'LL take all the help i can get! If you guys can take a look at it that would be great. If possible, only take pics of the flaws? Primarily looking for status of condition and checkout the common problems associated with ZR1's. Like I said before, they claim the car looks like it rolled off from the factoty line. (..I told them I very pickey so don't BS me. They claim I wouldn't be disappointed.)

All dealers say that!

Not sure if they are open on Sundays, I'll get back to you.

Corvettes White
09-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Z-factor

Where in SoCal? I have been traveling for 3 weeks and am having Vette withdrawals. Thursday is my drinking night in Irvine/Newport part of Orange County.

You or anyone with interest in joining me?

George

Chris
09-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Z-factor

Where in SoCal? I have been traveling for 3 weeks and am having Vette withdrawals. Thursday is my drinking night in Irvine/Newport part of Orange County.

George

Sounds fun but Kinda far from the Windy City :mrgreen:

Z Factor
09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Z-factor

George

You should have PM'd me because I am just now seeing this post. I was out in Ca for ten days, and just got back to Fl in time for Rita to hit.

Chris
09-22-2005, 06:44 PM
You should have PM'd me because I am just now seeing this post. I was out in Ca for ten days, and just got back to Fl in time for Rita to hit.

Between the sourthern states and the west coast, I'm glad to live in the midwest! Just have to suffer for a few months of cold. :mrgreen:

WB9MCW
09-22-2005, 09:15 PM
hey Chris where in IL. I live in McHenry on the Fox River. Check out my website!!! :-D

Chris
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
hey Chris where in IL. I live in McHenry on the Fox River. Check out my website!!! :-D

Lake Barrington..Let's get together sometime! Only a few miles apart!:cheers:

Corvettes White
09-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Sorry, Z-Factor did not think about it., but did need that drink.

Second opportunity, but I do not think I will have any takers. Am in Beijing and planning a Vette night out Thursday night October 6th Chaoyang Park.

George

WB9MCW
09-24-2005, 08:27 AM
MY mom lives in Biltmore just off 59 in n. barrington where I grew up so I know btown well,,, class of 76 bronco grad then off to U.of Kansas!!!! Small world...did u go to Barrington High school??? If u wanna drive up to Mchenry and see the 92 ZR-1 and my 84 C4 some weekend, just pm me or email me and we will see abt givin u a test ride in the mighty ZR-1!!! check out my KOTH website!!! email = wb9mcw@yahoo.com

car domain zr-1 koth site (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390224)

Z Factor
09-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry, Z-Factor did not think about it., but did need that drink.

Second opportunity, but I do not think I will have any takers. Am in Beijing and planning a Vette night out Thursday night October 6th Chaoyang Park.

George

Well George, China is a little off of my travel plans at the moment. If you could post some pictures of our Chinese vette brethren, that would be :cool: