PDA

View Full Version : Reputation?

Jim Jones
08-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Has anyone else noticed the little square underneath our names. It's something about our reputation. Not sure what that means, but when I put the cursor over mine it says I'm off the scale. Then when I click on it it says I don't have a reputation. That might be a good thing I guess.

Anyone know what its for?

Jim (Off The Scale!!)

Nick
08-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Mine says "Nick is on a distinguished road." Guess I'd better make sure the Valentine 1 is switched on!! :mrgreen:

Aurora40
08-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Oh, I always thought it was green if you were online and grey if not... Guess I thought wrong!

We Gone
08-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Good ? I turned green today :mrgreen:

Z Factor
08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Oh, I always thought it was green if you were online and grey if not... Guess I thought wrong!

You are correct regarding the circle on the far left bottom which indicates online status. However there is a small box below your post count that contains your reputation. You receive or lose points by someone clicking on the icon next to your online status indicator. When that happens they get the following choices;

What do you think of xxxxx post?

I approve

I disapprove

Your comments on this post:

If you gain points your reputation gets better :thumbsup: , but if you lose points it goes down accordingly :thumbsdo: .
By hovering the cursor over the indicator box you can view your own reputation status, or by clicking on the bottom icon in your own post you can see the amount of points you currently have.

:cheers:

Jeffvette
08-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Interesting.

Nick
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Jeff, nice avatar. Looks like you dug deep for that one. =D>

Jeffvette
08-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Thought the other one was getting a little old. :D

We Gone
08-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Jeff, nice avatar. Looks like you dug deep for that one. =D>

:worship: :iamwithst :mrgreen:

RiceEatingZR1
08-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Another feature on this board that is pretty cool, im liking this board more and more every time I login. =D>

Z Factor
08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Another feature on this board that is pretty cool, im liking this board more and more every time I login. =D>

Glad to hear it, and with that kind post I gave you your 1st reputation points. :thumbsup:

Scoob
08-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Uh, not for nothing but what prevents someone from being a wank and giving bad marks to someone for no reason?

RiceEatingZR1
08-19-2005, 05:19 PM
How can you view the comments?

Z Factor
08-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Uh, not for nothing but what prevents someone from being a wank and giving bad marks to someone for no reason?

The simple answer is nothing can prevent that. However there are restrictions such as a person must have a certain number of posts before they can give/take reputation points. There are also other factors such as;

Register Date Factor
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count to give out reputation points.

Minimum Reputation Count to give out reputation points.

Now, with all of that said, it would not prevent a fellow poster from taking reputation points if they meet the aforementioned criteria. However, it does prevent trolls from coming to the board with the sheer intention of assailing a persons reputation. It also rewards those who have been here for a long time, have many posts, and have great reputations when they give out positive points. Another words, they will counteract a un-established posters negative points, and that is the way it should be. Only if a person is a general pain in the rear will they wind up with a red square and a poor reputation. It is based on the totality of the points given/taken away.

Hope that helps to explain the system.

Scoob
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
The simple answer is nothing can prevent that. However there are restrictions such as a person must have a certain number of posts before they can give/take reputation points. There are also other factors such as;

Register Date Factor
For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count to give out reputation points.

Minimum Reputation Count to give out reputation points.

Now, with all of that said, it would not prevent a fellow poster from taking reputation points if they meet the aforementioned criteria. However, it does prevent trolls from coming to the board with the sheer intention of assailing a persons reputation. It also rewards those who have been here for a long time, have many posts, and have great reputations when they give out positive points. Another words, they will counteract a un-established posters negative points, and that is the way it should be. Only if a person is a general pain in the rear will they wind up with a red square and a poor reputation. It is based on the totality of the points given/taken away.

Hope that helps to explain the system.

:cheers:It does, indeed. Thanks.

Jim Jones
08-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the explanation Z Factor. I haven't been able to check this thread in a couple of days.

Z Factor
08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
How can you view the comments?

For some reason my response to this post was lost in cyberspace.

It is not necessary for someone to leave a comment when giving or taking away reputation points. However, if someone does leave a comment, you can view it for that post by clicking on the same reputation icon that is used for leaving reputation points. It will tell you if that post has received any positive or negative points, and if a comment was left, it will show what it is.

WB9MCW
08-28-2005, 10:26 AM
I'M GREEN WITH ENVY!!! :mrgreen: