PDA

View Full Version : "Burping" the LT5 after a coolant change?

Bell Curve
08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
During a thread about which coolant to use (Red or Green), someone mentioned "burping" the engine afterward. A reply came that I copied below;

Take a large asprin or any drug in tablet form, pry the thermostat open and use the pill to hold it open. The pill will dissolve, but not before you fill the car without any air gaps, no need to burp it and it won't harm anything.

Whatever you do, don't use the orange crap, it will corrode the system.

I wanted to hear opinions on it and "burping" in general?

Bell Curve
08-19-2005, 11:57 AM
So is burping a myth or what?

We Gone
08-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Here’s my theory on it. After draining the system refill start up and let run with cap off until the thermostat opens. Add more if necessary. Step two (be very careful as the coolant is hot and you can make a mess) have someone with a very steady foot raise the rpms slowly as they do the level will drop.

Fill to top and put the cap on fast while the rpms are up. (Note if you back off the rpms with the top off it will overflow. I call this packing the system.:mrgreen:

Never had any air issues after doing this.

ZR1 MK
08-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Theoretically the system is self bleeding, but you should try to get as much air out during the coolant change process. Check the high fill at a later time and you will see how good you did as thats where all the air will collect.

Kevin
08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
I just had to drain my system. Just filled it and went. No problems at all.

Nick
08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I've done the simple drain, refill, and go, as well as the service manual procedure. No difference noted on my car.