PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well Question

Jim Jones
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Okay, so I decided to clean the wheel wells on the clam shell and I didn't want to get water everywhere so, I took them off the clam shell. Here's my question: there is some kind of glue or epoxy or something where the screws go into the clam shell, what is it and where can I get some more of it?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

We Gone
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
No, you should have clips that the screws go into.
If they were screwed into the glass your hood has been replaced, if it has been you can see the out line of what need to be cut out so you can insert the clips.

Aurora40
08-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Just FYI, but it may be easier to just remove the wheel and clean it with the hood closed. :)

Jim Jones
08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
No, you should have clips that the screws go into.
If they were screwed into the glass your hood has been replaced, if it has been you can see the out line of what need to be cut out so you can insert the clips.

Ok, seems reasonable. Now, where would I buy these clips? I'm going to search the web a bit, so, if someone knows please post it here.

Thanks!!

Jim

We Gone
08-17-2005, 01:02 PM
I’m not sure what years they changed, but early C4s used a 10mm hex nut, mid year used a torx and late C4s were riveted in. I tried to look up a part # for you but my parts CD did not show them.

If you can someone who will let you see one I’m sure you could find them at a body shop.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Jim Jones
08-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I wonder if they are listed in my Helms manual. I didn't even think to look in there. DOH!:read2:

Nick
08-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Keep us posted on your solution. Clean wheel wells make the car so much more appealing to the eye, I think. :thumbsup:

Jim Jones
08-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, the part number isn't in my Helms manual. So, tomorrow I'm going to go to a local parts store, not a chain, and talk to the guy there. He has a 1991 ZR-1 so hopefully he will know.

This whole darn working thing gets in the way of my Z time!!

We Gone
08-24-2005, 04:21 PM
If I remember right its the same clip used on the large torx screws for the rear & lower front wheel wells.

Jeffvette
08-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Best bet is to find them from a salvage yard. I was able to buy a bag of screws and retainers for about 10 bucks shipped. It has come in handy.

Jim Jones
08-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Best bet is to find them from a salvage yard. I was able to buy a bag of screws and retainers for about 10 bucks shipped. It has come in handy.

Excellent idea Jeff!! I didn't even think about a salvage yard!!

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Jones
08-26-2005, 08:18 AM
Ok, I can get some clips from a local dealer. Here's my next question: What do I use to cut the holes out in the hood so I can slide the clips in the right place?

Thanks!

Jim

We Gone
08-26-2005, 08:50 AM
The glass should be very thin if you follow the outline…Just take a drill bit to start a hole (you can do this by hand) than use a small file. Some semi-gloss black paint to cover the white glass.

Be careful the hood is on the other side.

Steve

Jim Jones
08-27-2005, 12:36 AM
The glass should be very thin if you follow the outline…Just take a drill bit to start a hole (you can do this by hand) than use a small file. Some semi-gloss black paint to cover the white glass.

Be careful the hood is on the other side.

Steve

Thanks Steve!! I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about that kind of mistake!!