PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Hawaii?

HAWAIIZR-1
01-14-2009, 02:29 AM
?

GrayZ
01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Okay, I'm going to try this again since it has been a few years with no results. I heard there are ZR-1s in the Aloha State, but I have never seen one or met another owner other than a guy in the Air Force at Walmart but we never made contact after that.

I'm not from Hawaii, but i did stay in a holiday in select last night

good luck with you're search, bruddah..... :wave:

evl_twn
01-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I was there for a few days back in November, and I saw a pretty rough red 1990 parked outside a restaurant on the northeast side of Oahu. It was maybe a couple miles south of the Polynesian cultural center, on Kamehameha Hwy (83) on the left as you drive north. I drove around the place, it was open windows so I yelled in the window at some people eating inside if they knew whose car it was, and the lady waiting on their table said it was hers. It's definitely a daily driver, and looks like it's not seen the inside of a garage or any cleaning/detailing in several years.

She didn't seem to care too much for the car, said it was one of her husbands "leftovers". :cry:

FU
01-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Another not from Hawai........bet is there are lots of us that would like to be there right now.

HAWAIIZR-1
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM
?

HAWAIIZR-1
01-15-2009, 10:29 PM
?

Blak90zr1
01-11-2024, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone. I am in Hawaii. I have a Black 1990 Zr1. I recently got the car and just joined the forum today. This is my first post. Aloha :cheers:

HAWAIIZR-1
01-11-2024, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone. I am in Hawaii. I have a Black 1990 Zr1. I recently got the car and just joined the forum today. This is my first post. Aloha :cheers:

Aloha! My black 95 is in Japan, but I had a 90 and 91 in Hawaii. I?m in Kaneohe right now and spend half my time here and in Japan. Welcome to the madness and obsession. I?m leaving this Saturday, but when I get back we should meet up. 🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

HAWAIIZR-1
01-11-2024, 12:58 AM

BTW, there is Joie from Honolulu with a red 90, but he is more active on the FB version of the Registry. 🤙🏼

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/9RPZYp4t2YUAiPyP/?mibextid=CTbP7E

Blak90zr1
01-12-2024, 10:43 PM
Aloha! My black 95 is in Japan, but I had a 90 and 91 in Hawaii. I?m in Kaneohe right now and spend half my time here and in Japan. Welcome to the madness and obsession. I?m leaving this Saturday, but when I get back we should meet up. 🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=90383)

Ok sounds good. I know all about Japan since my son lives there and I was stationed there in the 90s. I was also stationed at Kaneohe Bay for 12 years. we will have a lot in common. I was just at Yokosuka in the fall of last year. I was stationed at Misawa Air Base way back when. My name is Keith nice to meet you. Have a safe trip.

HAWAIIZR-1
01-12-2024, 10:57 PM
Ok sounds good. I know all about Japan since my son lives there and I was stationed there in the 90s. I was also stationed at Kaneohe Bay for 12 years. we will have a lot in common. I was just at Yokosuka in the fall of last year. I was stationed at Misawa Air Base way back when. My name is Keith nice to meet you. Have a safe trip.

Shootz! We should meet with Joie too and I?ll give him heads up. He has some cool old school hot rods and some other 90s muscle. Wow, yes we do. I work at Yokosuka now and will retire this June. I have to go to Misawa to inspect our site there and two trips to Nagasaki area. I look forward to meeting you Keith and mahalo for your thoughts. I?ll be back in March. Aloha! 🤙🏼

Blak90zr1
01-12-2024, 11:05 PM
Shootz! We should meet with Joie too and I?ll give him heads up. He has some cool old school hot rods and some other 90s muscle. Wow, yes we do. I work at Yokosuka now and will retire this June. I have to go to Misawa to inspect our site there and two trips to Nagasaki area. I look forward to meeting you Keith and mahalo for your thoughts. I?ll be back in March. Aloha! 🤙🏼

Ok sounds great enjoy Japan! My son works at Haneda airport. I also had a part time job at a car junkyard in Japan too. Lol. I also owned many Japanese cars and Jimny jeeps there. Anyway, I have a couple other trans am cars too here in Hawaii. Right now I am getting my car ready for safety check :neutral:. I have to put new bulbs in the third high mount brake light. The Pearl Ridge cruise night is Sat Jan 27th. safe travels

HAWAIIZR-1
01-12-2024, 11:42 PM
Ok sounds great enjoy Japan! My son works at Haneda airport. I also had a part time job at a car junkyard in Japan too. Lol. I also owned many Japanese cars and Jimny jeeps there. Anyway, I have a couple other trans am cars too here in Hawaii. Right now I am getting my car ready for safety check :neutral:. I have to put new bulbs in the third high mount brake light. The Pearl Ridge cruise night is Sat Jan 27th. safe travels

Thanks. I love it there and decided to retire in Japan. My house is in Kamakura. Cool, your son works at Haneda. I usually fly through there, but this time Narita. Man, you will enjoy meeting Joie and those cruise nights. I wish I was going to be here for that one. I might be shipping my Z back Hawaii so we?ll see. If you?re keeping yours all original I guess you don?t want to do the LED high brake light mod. Best wishes with the safety check. Thanks.

Blak90zr1
01-14-2024, 02:00 AM
Thanks. I love it there and decided to retire in Japan. My house is in Kamakura. Cool, your son works at Haneda. I usually fly through there, but this time Narita. Man, you will enjoy meeting Joie and those cruise nights. I wish I was going to be here for that one. I might be shipping my Z back Hawaii so we?ll see. If you?re keeping yours all original I guess you don?t want to do the LED high brake light mod. Best wishes with the safety check. Thanks.

My friend wants to have a retire place in Kamakura. He is a surfer. I love Aomori and the countryside though. Actually as far as the 3rd brake light, I am just trying to get everything working. Ah the cruise nights are not that great but that's all we have here:rolleyes:. Honestly, as a newbie I did not know there was a mod but suspected that there must be...I mean c'mon. I have a little dream of bringing some of my cars to Japan and drive, fix, and store them there. My son is Japanese so possibly just put everything in his name, enjoy, and when I go to heaven, he can have everything. Driving on some of the country roads are the best or any open roads there. Everyone respects each other!:thumbsup:

HAWAIIZR-1
01-14-2024, 06:40 PM
My friend wants to have a retire place in Kamakura. He is a surfer. I love Aomori and the countryside though. Actually as far as the 3rd brake light, I am just trying to get everything working. Ah the cruise nights are not that great but that's all we have here:rolleyes:. Honestly, as a newbie I did not know there was a mod but suspected that there must be...I mean c'mon. I have a little dream of bringing some of my cars to Japan and drive, fix, and store them there. My son is Japanese so possibly just put everything in his name, enjoy, and when I go to heaven, he can have everything. Driving on some of the country roads are the best or any open roads there. Everyone respects each other!:thumbsup:

Howzit Keith! I am back at home in Kamakura and one the reasons we bought a house here. My wife knew I need to be near the beach and surf. I sold my board but looking to get into SUP or kayaking instead. Haven?

not been to Aomori yet any spring will be my first visit to Misawa. It is so much easier to just replace the bulb strip with LED strip. There?
is a post in her somewhere that I did or others did. Yep, Japan is amazing for touring cars here. The best roads and great car scenes and shows.

That would be amazing if you brought a car or two here. The initial inspection isa pain and expensive unless outside of the emissions testing requirement. I brought two ZR-1s here, but my 90 went back to US and I sold it. Yeah, respect is nice in this service country. Aloha! 🤙🏼

HAWAIIZR-1
01-14-2024, 06:43 PM
Another CHMSL LED Conversion

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33421

Blak90zr1
01-19-2024, 02:09 AM
Great thanks for the LED info. Noted. I know a lot about Misawa. I lived there for over 6 years.

HAWAIIZR-1
01-19-2024, 03:13 AM
Great thanks for the LED info. Noted. I know a lot about Misawa. I lived there for over 6 years.

You are welcome. On my 90 my LED strip came from Harbor Freight and on my 95 from my local Autobacs. Cool! I am looking forward to going to Misawa for a week the middle of May so it should be nice.

Blak90zr1
01-20-2024, 02:39 AM
Okay, I saved the Amazon led strip item from the other post you provided and put it on my wish list. For now I am going to just replace the bulbs X4 and then I bought 3m Strip Caulk to use for sealing the red plastic lens to the metal cover before I bolt it to the car. I had to carefully remove silicone that was holding it from the previous owner. It took me an hour to break it loose without damaging anything. I think the 3m black strip caulk will work fine to seal the light assembly in the metal cover. It should also allow it to be removed again easily if needed. It appears that the foam gasket is hard to find and discontinued. Maybe that's why using a waterproof led strip would be nice. My car has 1995 ZR1 rims on it and I really want the salad shooters. I am a stock kind of person. I just love how the salad shooters make the car stand out as a 1990. However, these 95 spoke ones are pretty handsome. I just purchased 3 ignition key blanks with the proper resistance and I am going to search for the door keys. I would like the GM logo ones for the door keys too. Furthermore, I am searching for a 1990 valet /power key. Hmmm what else, that's all I can think of for now. :saluting:

HAWAIIZR-1
01-20-2024, 03:11 AM
Okay, I saved the Amazon led strip item from the other post you provided and put it on my wish list. For now I am going to just replace the bulbs X4 and then I bought 3m Strip Caulk to use for sealing the red plastic lens to the metal cover before I bolt it to the car. I had to carefully remove silicone that was holding it from the previous owner. It took me an hour to break it loose without damaging anything. I think the 3m black strip caulk will work fine to seal the light assembly in the metal cover. It should also allow it to be removed again easily if needed. It appears that the foam gasket is hard to find and discontinued. Maybe that's why using a waterproof led strip would be nice. My car has 1995 ZR1 rims on it and I really want the salad shooters. I am a stock kind of person. I just love how the salad shooters make the car stand out as a 1990. However, these 95 spoke ones are pretty handsome. I just purchased 3 ignition key blanks with the proper resistance and I am going to search for the door keys. I would like the GM logo ones for the door keys too. Furthermore, I am searching for a 1990 valet /power key. Hmmm what else, that's all I can think of for now. :saluting:

It sounds like you did a nice job with the replacement bulbs and improvising the lack of a replacement seal. It should be fairly easy to find a set of the 90Z wheels as I have seen them for sale and not as pricey as the other years. I hear you and I rather have the year my wheels came with on the car despite many put the later A molds on their other year cars. I will check around for a set of 90s for you if you are not on FB. Check eBay for the 90 valet and door keys with the GM logos. 🤙🏼

HAWAIIZR-1
01-25-2024, 04:29 AM

Howzit Keith,

I found you a nice set of stock wheels for a 90. Hit me up so I can put you in contact with the owner. He sent me photos the other day but I do not know how to send them to you

Aloha,

Craig 🤙🏼

Dynomite
01-27-2024, 09:53 PM
Howzit Keith,

I found you a nice set of stock wheels for a 90. Hit me up so I can put you in contact with the owner. He sent me photos the other day but I do not know how to send them to you

Aloha,

Craig 🤙🏼

If Blak90zr1 changes his mind on Stock 1990 Salad shooters, I am looking for a couple (Maybe 4) 17 x 11 Salad Shooter Rims for a 1990 (rear axle) :cheers:

HAWAIIZR-1
01-27-2024, 10:25 PM
If Blak90zr1 changes his mind on Stock 1990 Salad shooters, I am looking for a couple (Maybe 4) 17 x 11 Salad Shooter Rims for a 1990 (rear axle) :cheers:

Cliff, I hope Keith is okay. He disappeared like oil mist in your catch can! 😆
I saw you were looking for rears only, but you might need to buy the set from this seller and sell the fronts. Rear only is like finding a unicorn despite there are many of those these days.

Blak90zr1
01-29-2024, 11:50 AM
Hey Craig,
I sent you a PM. Sorry I have been travelling. My Mom passed away.
I am interested in all 4 (rears and fronts).

HAWAIIZR-1
01-29-2024, 04:52 PM
Hey Craig,
I sent you a PM. Sorry I have been travelling. My Mom passed away.
I am interested in all 4 (rears and fronts).

Howzit Keith,
So sorry to hear it and my deepest and sincere condolences to you and your family. Safe travels back to home. The wheels are nice and a full set. You will like it and he has shipping boxes already, and he knows you are in Hawaii.

Aloha,
Craig

Blak90zr1
01-30-2024, 11:04 AM
Howzit Keith,
So sorry to hear it and my deepest and sincere condolences to you and your family. Safe travels back to home. The wheels are nice and a full set. You will like it and he has shipping boxes already, and he knows you are in Hawaii.

Aloha,
Craig

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the thoughts. I talked to him and we are working something out with the wheels. The next item up for search in the future is a clear top. I only have the painted one. I am also trying to determine if some cars did not even come with a clear top. I have a window sticker, build sheet and of course the sticker under the console armrest. I have been trying to figure it out. Maybe I am missing something.
Keith

HAWAIIZR-1
01-31-2024, 03:09 AM
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the thoughts. I talked to him and we are working something out with the wheels. The next item up for search in the future is a clear top. I only have the painted one. I am also trying to determine if some cars did not even come with a clear top. I have a window sticker, build sheet and of course the sticker under the console armrest. I have been trying to figure it out. Maybe I am missing something.
Keith

Hey Keith, Glad it all worked out and I could find a set for you. Any of those that you have can tell you how your car was optioned. I?ll send you an email so you can reply with window sticker and I?ll decipher for you. Those clear tops are pretty pricey and hopefully you can find the color you want in Hawaii. They can be packed carefully and shipped as I did the same for my 90 and then sold it separately when I sold the car. I had to back and forth from the mainland.

Craig

Blak90zr1
01-31-2024, 12:43 PM
Hey Keith, Glad it all worked out and I could find a set for you. Any of those that you have can tell you how your car was optioned. I?ll send you an email so you can reply with window sticker and I?ll decipher for you. Those clear tops are pretty pricey and hopefully you can find the color you want in Hawaii. They can be packed carefully and shipped as I did the same for my 90 and then sold it separately when I sold the car. I had to back and forth from the mainland.

Craig

I am not in a huge rush to obtain a clear top, but I am probably going to want to have one someday. I wasn't aware there were different colors of the glass. I assume that any C4 top will fit? Are ZR1 clear tops specifically a certain color of glass? I sent you two emails one of the window sticker and one of the console sticker

HAWAIIZR-1
01-31-2024, 02:57 PM
I am not in a huge rush to obtain a clear top, but I am probably going to want to have one someday. I wasn't aware there were different colors of the glass. I assume that any C4 top will fit? Are ZR1 clear tops specifically a certain color of glass? I sent you two emails one of the window sticker and one of the console sticker

Taking your time is best. Your had the blue instead of the bronze. The C4s have different mounting system so you want it from the late model. :cheers::cheers:

Blak90zr1
02-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Taking your time is best. Your had the blue instead of the bronze. The C4s have different mounting system so you want it from the late model. :cheers::cheers:

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the educational info! Perhaps I can find a C4 with blue from any 89 and up C4. It seems that the VIN of the car was stamped somewhere on the roof panel as well? Sad I don't have the original blue one.:cry:

HAWAIIZR-1
02-02-2024, 09:51 PM
Hey Keith,
Yeah, I do not think you will find the original with matching VIN. The blue one came with my car and I wonder if it has the VIN as I never checked. Maybe it is not the original too. Yes, they are not too hard to find but nice ones can be around $800 (what I sold mine for many years ago).