PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein problem-90 Z

cuisinartvette
08-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Is on tour mode right now;rear is bouncy, almost feels like bad/no shocks at all( is this normal?), No dash lights....If I switch the FX3 to the other positions the dash light comes on. Where do I start? I'd like to troubleshoot this rather than throw money at it. Used to the firm ride of my 89, this diesn't feel right. Sure squats good when I hit the loud pedal though!

Jeffvette
08-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Here are the codes

12 = Start of sequence
13 = Left rear time out
14 = Right Front time out
21 = Left Front time out
22 = Right Rear time out
31 = Left Front out of position
32 = Right Front out of position
33 = Left Rear out of position
34 = Right Rear out of position

Out of position codes are triggered if the computer senses that the actuator has not found the end stop position on the shock. Remove actuator at the indicated shock. Turn the valve gear on the shock stops after about 3 / 4 of turn, then you have a bad actuator. If it spins around continuously then it is a bad shock
41 = Selective ride control switch short to voltage
42 = Selective ride control switch open contacts
You can have a code 42 if you leave the switch in between indented positions

43 = selective ride control switch circuit open.

You should be getting a light at the start up of the vehicle, as everytime the key is turned over, it finds the end points on the shock. If you car feels "floaty" the shocks are more than likely dead, especially when I see 142,000 miles on the car.

Best money spent on the shocks is to send them directly to Bilstein to be repaired. They can revalve to a stiffer setting as well. First find out what the codes are that you are setting.

cuisinartvette
08-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Jeff, once again thanks again for the info. I'll check this out soon and let you know what I find out. (Hopefully next weekend I'll have some time).

This was exactly the troubleshooting routine I was looking for.

Scoob
08-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Yo, cuisinartvette - jump the ALDL pins A and C for these codes. You can do it with a paperclip in under a minute.

Also, be aware that if your '89 is a non-FX3 car it will feel firmer than your FX3 equipped ZR1. This is because the FX3 version of Z51 uses softer springs than the non-FX3 Z51 springs.