PDA

View Full Version : GMHTP shootout action!

Aurora40
08-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I had a blast yesterday at the shootout. My car got totally trashed by the rain, though. So I've got quite a bit of detailing work cut out for me now. But it was worth it to see so many neat cars run the 1/4.

Here's me and my car:
http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/pic7.jpg

I drove the car there, and wanted to have enough gas left to get the heck out of Jersey without filling up. I can't stand the full-service-only law there. So I had about 3/4-2/3 a tank of gas when I showed up, and a little over 1/2 a tank when I left (enough to go the 80+ miles to get across the state line before filling up to get home). I also left the spare tire on and didn't adjust the tire pressures. I really just wanted to have fun running down the track in about the same way it would run on the street. I did mean to put the suspension in "tour" but forgot... :( I lift on shifts because I'm not Mr Dragstrip, and also because I had to drive it home. I'm more of an enjoy and preserve kinda guy.

Anyway, my early runs were 13.4-13.5 range, then I had some a bit higher as I played with my launches. Mostly I ended up launching way too soft, though on one I launched way too hard, and figured what the hell. I blew the launch already, why not stay in it and see what happens! I squirrled back and forth for a while until I let off a bit and hooked and ran a 14.5 @ 104mph or so.

My best run came at the end of the day. It was my last run, and the Callaway owner just told me he'd done a 13.2! No way I was gonna do such a bad job representing the Z in a magazine! So I hit a 13.21@108.1mph on my last run. I had a pretty good launch, but still overcooked it a tad, and I shifted a bit faster/firmer. It was the only run where I chirped 3rd (chirped it pretty hard too, the car squirreled a bit).

All in all it was a blast.

Here are some videos of my run. My wife sat in the observation room on the last run due to the incredible humidity and warmth otuside. It wasn't super hot, but the humidity made it very punchy. It was probably 82-85F with like 95% humidity (it had been raining a lot and there was some question as to whether we'd get to run at all):

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/clips/zr11.mpg

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/clips/zr12.mpg

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/clips/zr13.mpg

As an aside, it was a closed track. So we didn't have numbers on the cars. So we didn't ever really get feedback on how we did for each run. At the end of the day we got a chance to see all the runs that had been made, and were to try to find which was our best (without knowing who made what). The GMHTP staff has videos of the runs, though, to provide the ultimate truth about it.

So I knew I ran my 13.2 after the Callaway, and my wife told me "13.2 at 108 mph". So there were two 13.2's near the end, a 13.26 @ 106.7 and a 13.21 @ 108.1. I was quite certain mine was the faster/later run, but wanted to confirm with the Callaway owner so as not to be a jerk. He agreed it seemed likely that this later one was my time and the earlier one was his. The unsaid fact was that the 13.21 @ 108.1 mph was the fastest non-Z06 time out there. Anyway, the odd thing was the Z06 owner looks at it and says to me "no way your car did a 2.2 60' time and then ran a 13.2". I couldn't help but think what a strange thing to say. For one, here's the time listed. Did he mean it can't be done, or can't be done by a ZR-1? Had he ever driven a ZR-1? It's not like you see them at the track a lot. It was just very odd and I wasn't quite sure how to respond...

P.S. I thought it was pretty cool to be the only manual car there that ran the 1/4 with only two shifts... :) And the Z06 had an aftermarket airbox, but ran a best of 12.06@116mph. Obviously even without the airbox, he'd have the field covered quite well.

The whole enchilada should be in the December issue of GM High Tech Performance (http://www.gmhightechperformance.com).

Aurora40
08-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Look at all that rubber on the car! Blech! The wheel wells are even worse...

http://members.aol.com/corvettezr11990/gmhtp/pic8.jpg

Kevin
08-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Just goes to show that the ZR-1 is not a 1/4 mile car. But I'm glad you had fun. Next time you do it, spray some pam in the wheel wheels/rear fenders

Aurora40
08-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Just goes to show that the ZR-1 is not a 1/4 mile car. But I'm glad you had fun.

Ouch man! :( Did I forget to mention I was the fastest car out there from the 1980's and 1990's? There were Typhoons, a Syclone, Turbo T/A's, GNX, F-bodies galore, and a Callaway? While I agree from the gearing alone, the 1/4 is not what the ZR-1 was designed for (not to mention the way it pulled above 100), I think it showed pretty well. :p :)

Kevin
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
I wasn't saying anything about your driving skills, I'm simply saying that the ZR-1 is more of a top end bomber than it is a 1/4 mile car. BTW I am 90 ZR-1 on autopia

zr1mom
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
:thumbsup: It's hard to get a good launch with stock tires with a ZR-1. You need slicks and you will be in 12's.

Aurora40
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
:thumbsup: It's hard to get a good launch with stock tires with a ZR-1. You need slicks and you will be in 12's.

I think that less humid weather, and dropping about 150 lbs of gas and spare tire might do it too. I can't help but wonder what I'd have hit on that last run if I'd had less gas and lost the spare. In retrospect I should have just stowed the spare in the other car so I wouldn't have to mess with it in the rain or anything... :( But I'm happy that it was the quickest of the bunch. Good enough... :)

Kevin
08-10-2005, 09:17 PM
you car looks good, what did you use to make her look so good? Oh and how about that jackass on autopia saying that american cars can't handle?

Aurora40
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
you car looks good, what did you use to make her look so good? Oh and how about that jackass on autopia saying that american cars can't handle?

LOL! There are a fair number of people like that on Autopia. Folks who think all foreign cars are better than all domestics and what-have-you. The same with waxes. They feel whatever they use or like must be what everyone else should use or like too.

Before I went to the track, I'd hit the car up with another coat of Pinnacle Souveran. But it got totally disgusting on the drive there. I washed it off with some Protect-All Quick & Easy Wash, and some gallons of distilled water I brought. That helped a lot!

Kevin
08-11-2005, 06:51 AM
How do you like the qew?

Aurora40
08-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I like it a lot. I have only washed the 'vette thus far with QEW. However, I need to use a hose and bucket this time due to how crappy the car got from the rain. But I like QEW because you don't end up with water pooled in the body, in the back hatch area, in the engine latch area, etc. If you drive it a lot this isn't a problem, but after I wash the 'vette, it may sit for a few days or a week before it gets driven. So pooled water is a real problem.

As an aside, you can see the Callaway videos I had from the track, as well as some discussion of it, here: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72639