PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifters ??

RiceEatingZR1
08-06-2005, 11:51 AM
I am considering getting a short shifter for my Z. However Im not sure what one is better between the Hurst or B&M. any recommendation? Also how difficult are they to install

Gunny
08-06-2005, 02:02 PM
I've got the Hurst and it was a very good mod for me. The B&M is supposed to have a shorter throw but also requires more effort and precision on the driver's part .... I'm sure that could be an advantage for some at the track. But the Hurst is smooth & quick. You do lose the reverse lockout, but I consider that a plus.
Installation is fairly straightforward and while it would be much easier with the tranny out, it can be achieved without dropping the tranny. Two people and a lift definitely make the job much easier. Good luck.

bigd
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Hurst shifter here. Very happy with the feel. Aaron Scott did the install. Losing the reverse lock-out has not been a problem. I also installed a "pistol grip" style knob from MGW. Very good quality.

RiceEatingZR1
08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
I was worried about Losing the reverse lock-out only because I have a bad habit of grabbing the shifter from the side and pulling and I am worried about pulling it to far over and going into Reverse. but it sounds like no one has that problem. :)

91King
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Hurst shifter here as well. Huge improvement over stock. Losing reverse lockout is a blessing as far as I am concerned.

Jim Jones
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
What are the advantages of having a short shifter unless you are at the track? Or is it just personal preference? :icon_scra

ZR1 MK
08-09-2005, 12:02 PM
What are the advantages of having a short shifter unless you are at the track? Or is it just personal preference? :icon_scra
Much more precise and controllable.
I have the B&M, but it was awful until I raised the shifter height 3/4 inches and now is great. The Hurst has gotten much better reviews over the years. I figure there isnt anyone else who moded the height of the B&M as I have and this will account for the reviews.

RiceEatingZR1
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks For all the info guys sounds like the Hurst is the way to go. :cheers:

Nick
08-18-2005, 11:58 AM
I am running the Hurst shifter. Its an excellent low budget mod. The installation can be a bit tricky. It would be nice to have had a helper, but I managed it all by myself and it took me about 8 hour total.

bobbyhi
08-18-2005, 04:05 PM
I also have the Hurst. Really like it alot better than the original. Don't miss the reverse lock out at all. I do not take the Z to the track so this must be a personal thing.........

haber rj
01-12-2006, 09:56 AM
ZR1MK hello there could you please explain how you raised your B&M shifter, I installed one and I am not very happy with it, I have a rattle coming from it and it is not very smooth on the shifting. I have inquired to a few shops and I have been told that the tolarence in the B&M is not as good as in the Hurst. Have you experienced any rattling with yours and if so how did you get rid of it. One of the ZF transmission repair shops told me that all I can do it pack it full of grease????. Any advise would be appreciated
haber rj

ZR1 MK
01-12-2006, 12:05 PM
ZR1MK hello there could you please explain how you raised your B&M shifter, I installed one and I am not very happy with it, I have a rattle coming from it and it is not very smooth on the shifting. I have inquired to a few shops and I have been told that the tolarence in the B&M is not as good as in the Hurst. Have you experienced any rattling with yours and if so how did you get rid of it. One of the ZF transmission repair shops told me that all I can do it pack it full of grease????. Any advise would be appreciated
haber rj
I usually like to do most work myself, but at the time I had a variety of items to do and got lazy. I went to the Vette Doctors for all. Prior to installation, I asked if the shifter will rattle. They said no. After all the work was done, and without me asking, the mechanic said he installed and adjusted the shifter so it will be real smooth and without any rattle. I didnt ask what he meant by proper installation and adjustment, but it operates just as he stated. It sounds like you installed the shifter yourself. Since I didnt do the install myself, I cant help you with the adjustment he mentioned to prevent rattle.
The only problem I had, which isnt an installer issue, is the shifter rod at the knob area is too short for the feel I prefer. My stock knob was used for the initial installation, but I had an OMP Gemini at the house for me to install later. They installed the stock knob fully thread down. Before I drove away, I unscrewed the knob as much as possible. It was a little better, but still awful.
The OMP knob is a universal type that has three set screws and a cover ring rather than a threaded shaft. I made a sleeve that fit between the shaft and knob, goes to the top of the knob and sits above the set screws to prevent movement. The sleeve is required because the knob is mounted higher than it should be. If I had been using a threaded shaft knob as the stock type, I would have arc welded a threaded rod on top of the shifter to extend it as necessary. Theres no way I would have lived with it as original. It went from awful to awesome with a little work.

haber rj
01-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Well you hit the nail on the head, I did the install and it works not to bad, but after ready what you said I will go back in and try what you did and see if I can do a little fine tuning to get rid of the rattle, thank you for the help much appreciated
haber rj

1990 quasar blue
01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone here have one of Bill Boudreau's? Is he still doing them? :cheers:

FU
01-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Does anyone here have one of Bill Boudreau's? Is he still doing them? :cheers:

My white car has Bills shifter along with a full Cryo job on the trans. It's simply awesome.
A Hurst shifter is in my green car.
The Hurst is a bit too short of a shift for me. So I do prefer Bills shifter over the Hurst. This is like aftermarket exhaust systems , different strokes.

1990 quasar blue
01-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Frank.:thumbsup:

ZR1 MK
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/571300309.jpg&s=x402
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5712591884.jpg&s=x402