PDA

View Full Version : whats the problem w/ turbos...

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:07 PM
why is it so troublesome to turbocharge a ZR1?? if i could find all the parts required to for a turbocharger whats going to stop me from installing it??? is it a space issue?? is it a matter of getting the compression low enough?? one more question, this has to deal with weight again. if you could get a ZR1 below 3000lbs w/ driver would the ZR1 be the ULTIMANT handling car?? the car is so wide and can house very wide tires so i would think so. right???

Anonymous
Here's something that might interest you:http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/8943/

Anonymous
That baby must have one heck of a price tag on it.(Edited by FrankUrbinati at 5:59 pm on Feb. 18, 2003)

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:08 PM
We are currently developing a new twin turbo system for the ZR1. We have a 90 ZR1 in the shop and another one on the way. You can read more about us and our systems on www.turbochargedpower.com. We will be posting photos of the kit when it is ready for release.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
the zr1 absolutely can be turbo charged as evidenced by LPE, Mallet, callaway, and geiger. with the 11-1 CR, first order of business is a rebuild to get around 8.5 - 1 which scares most folks off. other issues are the space, but the turbos tuck pretty nicely up by the bellhousing. plumbing is tight, heat management, and packaging all make this a relatively complex (aka expensive!!) proposition but it can be done.TTS. thanks for posting. I am VERY interested in your project and can probably help you understand some of the "gotchas" of turbocharging the LT5. the stock HG seems to be limited to around 800 HP. LPE made special liners that ran above the deck and mated up with precision receiver grooves in the heads to isolate the HG from high cyl pressures. they also used a LINK AIC injector controller on the secondary injectors.my thoughts are to use an Acell 8 with wideband 02 and some nice 72 lb injectors on the secondaries for a total of 90 lbs of fuel for high boost operation., the factory ecm with a recalibrated chip could still be employed for the primary injectors. the LT5 has a very efficient and detonation resistant combustion chamber with a centrally located spark plug, but for high boost pressure some accell coils, iridium plugs, and better spark plug wires should be used.along with an upgraded fuel system, I believe a VERY streetable and reliable 1000 HP can be achieved from a relatively low cost turbo setup with a 368 with good rods (oliver), J&E pistons with ring lands set down just a bit, and the stock cams retimed to reduce overlap a bit.the LT5 is a very strong bottom end design and with the right turbos, fuel and spark tuning will make a great twin turbo car.as for the "ultimate" handling, no question getting the car below 3k will help, but it can't really be done with BOTH the heavier twin turbo components which add quite a bit of weight and still retaining creature comforts like the AC, stereo, heater, regular glass, ect...but you can do quite a bit and a realistic goal of 3200 lbs is possible, just expensive to get there with things like CF hood, lexan rear hatch, lighter seats, fidanza fw, titanium rods, CF rotors, etc..... the snake skinner was an AWESOME performing car with a weight under 3k lbs and around 500 HP.with 1000 HP, the weight won't be as much of an issue.keep this thread alive, love to talk more about the TT ZR1 project. a long time goal of mine.FYI, my turbo buick with a lowly v6 puts out well over 600 HP with VERY good reliability at 26 psi. as evidenced by the turbo supras, rice boxes, LPE C5s, you can make killer power with turbos.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Looks like the TT ZR1's might just become reality soon. This is going to bring us to a new level !

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:10 PM
you better believe it. the TT ZR1 is a blast.congrats to Paul D who won the flyin mileat 199+next year put a stock rear gear in it and look out!!!

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 09:10 PM
wb9mcw

RON I JUST FILLED OUT AN APP. WITH THEM THEIR PRODUCT AND PRICING LOOKS GREAT AND THE KITS VERY COMPLETE. WILL A STOCK LT5 TAKE 5PSI BOOST AND BE RELIABLE. DO YOU THINK YOU COULD CONVERT BACK TO STOCK IF YOU WANTED TO SELL THE CAR AND UPGRADE TO AN LPE LIKE YOU HAVE WITH OUT TO MUCH EVIDENCE OF THE TURBO INSTALLATION??