PDA

View Full Version : Air intake

ffvetteman
08-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Well the connecting hose between the air box na dthe throttle body fell off twice. It is slipping off the air box side. What do you guy recomend to solve this?

I did loosen up the clamp and slide it back on then retighten, but it fell off again.

RiceEatingZR1
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I had the same problem so I ended up buying an SLP CAI and it hasn't happened since.

Jim Jones
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I had the same problem so I ended up buying an SLP CAI and it hasn't happened since.

What is an SLP CAI?

Thanks!

Jim

RiceEatingZR1
08-02-2005, 08:39 AM
CAI = Cold Air induction

http://www.lmperformance.com/1736/24.html

http://www.lmperformance.com/images/parts/21028.jpg

ffvetteman
08-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Ive seen that one, but was looking more for a stock appearance. There is one sold on this web site, as an insert. Anye use that? I think that would be more of what I am looking for.

Nick
08-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Buy the Mark Coplon duct (its on the web site). He uses a new accordion duct and fits a nice stainless steel liner inside it. It never collapses with age, and due to the lenght of the stainless liner, I can't see how it could inadvertently come off.

Bell Curve
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM
CAI = Cold Air induction

http://www.lmperformance.com/1736/24.html

http://www.lmperformance.com/images/parts/21028.jpg

I have heard that your CAI can actually lower HP rather than increase it. What is your impression of it compared with your stock set up?

RiceEatingZR1
08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I have heard that your CAI can actually lower HP rather than increase it. What is your impression of it compared with your stock set up?

I think it helps a little because you can hear it sucking the air in when you hit the throttle. but as far as feeling more power you don't really feel it. so my guess is that if it adds any HP it would be like 1 to 5HP at the crank. you more then likely would lose that by the time it gets to the wheels.

Kevin
08-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Buy the Mark Coplon duct (its on the web site). He uses a new accordion duct and fits a nice stainless steel liner inside it. It never collapses with age, and due to the lenght of the stainless liner, I can't see how it could inadvertently come off.

He doesn't have the ducts any more. You send him your old duct he installs the sleeve and sends it back to you.

I also remember hearing that he 3 cone has less surface area than the stock style filter.

ffvetteman
08-04-2005, 12:25 AM
If I send him the duct, would I be able to return it to stock of is it modified? I dont want the air duct modified in any way.

Kevin
08-04-2005, 05:47 PM
All he does to it is insert a SS sleeve into it and you are good to go. Once you go SS you will not want to put the other one back on.

I have 2 spares that I now have no use for.

W i l l
08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
ffvetteman,

You can remove the stainless steel insert from the duct later on if you want. I removed the liner from one air duct that got torn and put it into a different duct.

Will

If I send him the duct, would I be able to return it to stock of is it modified? I dont want the air duct modified in any way.

Kevin
08-04-2005, 06:58 PM
If I may ask, why don't you want the duct modded?

ffvetteman
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I want the car to stay stock. It would save me the trouble of finding another duct. The car is all stock (except for the windshield)and I want to keep it all stock. I wouldnt even modify that duct if it did not keep falling off.

Kevin
08-05-2005, 05:17 PM
The air duct is a small piece. I have 2 spares that I am using as pen holders now. I'm sure finding one isn't a hard thing to do. But no the duct is not physically modded at all.

Z Factor
08-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I want the car to stay stock.

I understand where you are coming from. I intend on adding some mods, but I want to be able to reverse anything I do such as exhaust. So when my headers go on, the stock exhaust will go into storage. The sleeve obviously would fit that criteria.

:cheers:

ffvetteman
08-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Is the air intake duct the same as any other vette? LT-1 LT-4?

Never looked that close

Kevin
08-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Is the air intake duct the same as any other vette? LT-1 LT-4?

Never looked that close

No they are totally different

ffvetteman
08-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Kevin, is your 1/4 mile time in your sig on no mods then? Just wondering

Kevin
08-06-2005, 11:36 AM
That is my time with the chrome a molds only

Ron Ashcraft
08-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Just a for what it is worth,

You might tighten your C Beam Bolts. I never experienced the problem until the engine started moving around under hard acceleration due to loose C Beam bolts.
I did replace the OEM Duct with a heavier Smooth Silicone duct.
Good luck:)
Ron

ffvetteman
08-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Loose C-beam bolt? Never would have thought of that. I have only been under the car once, so I do not know if they are loose. I dont have the car out that often, but when I do I seem to get on it often.

Kevin
08-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Do both. Install c-beam plates or tighten the bolts down. You also need to get the reinforced duct.

We Gone
08-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I have a spare duct also if anyone needs one its off the 90 I used to have, drop me a message..I put one of Mark's on both cars last year so I stll have a spare for the 91.

ffvetteman
08-07-2005, 04:32 AM
Ive got another set of beam plates, maybe I will put them on the ZR-1. I bought 2 sets when they had the group purchase and put one on my 84, but I bought another set for the other 84, and never put them on. Now I am selling that 84, so I have the other set. I will put that on the Z.

I have not searched yet, how hard is it to located another duct and how much is it? Just so I can have a spare. Now he still sells the sleves? How much are they? I was wondering if the price changed if he does not include the duct any more.

Kevin
08-08-2005, 06:31 PM
The duct is not available from GM anymore so you would have to find someone buy one from. You have to ship the duct to him then he installs it and ships it back.

We Gone
08-08-2005, 07:27 PM
:hello: Just pay the shipping & it goes to the first to send me a PM..when you get yours back just pass it on :handshak:

ffvetteman
08-08-2005, 09:40 PM
:hello: Just pay the shipping & it goes to the first to send me a PM..when you get yours back just pass it on :handshak:

Oh Oh Ill take it,!!!

you have PM

We Gone
08-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Oh Oh Ill take it,!!!

you have PM

Done you have a reply :handshak:

Bell Curve
08-09-2005, 05:37 PM
I think it helps a little because you can hear it sucking the air in when you hit the throttle. but as far as feeling more power you don't really feel it. so my guess is that if it adds any HP it would be like 1 to 5HP at the crank. you more then likely would lose that by the time it gets to the wheels.

You might be right but I remember reading something where before and after dynos were done, and the claw set up lost a little HP instead of gaining any. I think the conclusion was that the stock intake was about as good as it is going to get and that Chevy had at least one aspect that could not be modified any better.

tomtom72
08-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Hi Guys, I just got a replacement duct from corvette central. My original was soft & I fabed up something to test if I was getting collapse. I figure to save my OEM duct & send the one from CC to Mr. Coplan to get the liner.

You may want to give CC a shot if you would like to keep the OEM one for judging. Just a thought.

Tom

Dandy97
08-16-2005, 07:40 AM
ffvetteman if you didn't get an air duct yet I have an extra one. You can stop by and pick it up, just drop me an e-mail.

ffvetteman
08-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks Dandy, but I did get the other one. Thanks We Gone!!

Im gonna see if there is anything I can do on it to reinforce it. If not I will send it out to get the sleeve put in it.

We Gone
08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
I think the sleeve not only keeps it from collapsing but also smoothes out the airflow.

Nick
08-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I think the sleeve not only keeps it from collapsing but also smoothes out the airflow.

:thumbsup: I agree.

Z Factor
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
The duct is not available from GM anymore so you would have to find someone buy one from. You have to ship the duct to him then he installs it and ships it back.

I have found a source for stock GM Air Intake Ducts.

Also I have a source for the Samco Air Intake Duct. I will start a thread later today about interest in a group purchase.

blackjack
08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
i just installed the cai filter..somebody knows more about this filter?
it does look like a thousand horsepower !!
any flowtesting results?

Kevin
08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
CAI filter? I'm not sure what you are talking about

Z Factor
08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
i just installed the cai filter..somebody knows more about this filter?
it does look like a thousand horsepower !!
any flowtesting results?

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :handshak:

I think you will find that most people do not believe the CAI or other such intake will gain much HP over a stock open lid set up with either a paper or K&N filter. I do not know of any specific dyno results regarding the CAI, but someone must have done it somewhere along the line. Hopefully they will be along to post their results.

WB9MCW
08-31-2005, 10:22 PM
if u keep the stock paper one changed out reg. it is the same hp as a k&n. if u like to clean the k&n often than your the same as a stock paper (not to dirty) dyno wise. never saw any dyno figs on the triple cai unit so can not say abt it. but imo you are prob. only going to see a few ponies at best on the dyno between em all and no diff. at the qm times or by seat of the pants feel!!! JIMO and i could be wrong like dennis miller likes to say! LOL :blahblah:

blackjack
09-01-2005, 06:31 AM
i do realize i wont gain much with the cold air intake kit..i just dont want to loose any .ill be happy if its the same as stock...i just like the looks of it..
thanks,guys