PDA

View Full Version : Gift broke down in transit!

LeoLily
08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Bad news, folks! Our gift broke down approx 30 miles west of Hays, KS, which is about the halfway point between Independence, MO and Boulder, CO!

The poor soul who was attempting to drive it to Boulder had it towed to a car dealer in Hays where my father-in-law picked it up with his flatbed trailer on Saturday to return it to MO. The car dealer thinks it may have been a fuel pump that went out.

Lacking either a fairy godmother and/or a money tree, and with neither myself or my FIL being able to afford the repair at this time, the ZR1 will be "wintering" in MO and, hopefully, I will be able to afford the repair in the spring JUST in time for "Vettes on the Rockies" back out here in Frisco, CO.

So, in the meantime, I will be "lurking" around the listserv (thanks for keeping it, Mom!) and the Corvette forums and collecting more info on how best to maintain my baby once it gets here.

I would like to thank everyone who has provided good wishes and good advice! I will be keeping a binder with all the info/recommendations until I can pick up my car and start USING the info/recommendations.

Lily '90 ZR1 turqoise/black

zr1mom
08-01-2005, 05:39 PM
The ZR-1 has two fuel pumps, a primary and a secondary. The primary would have to be the one that failed for it to die completely.

If so you have two options:

1. Pull out the fuel pump assembly, you do this where your fuel cap is, and switch the pumps around.

See pictures here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/zrjuan/sender.html

2. A complete fuel pump assembly from GM is around $1500. However all you have to do is replace the bad fuel pump. Believe it or not a Suburban fuel pump is the same one. GM Part #25163473 ($72) *Fits '96 Suburban with 454 Engine. There are others that work as well. See below.

Look here on how to replace the pump: http://www.zr1netregistry.com/fuelpump.htm

Jim Jones
08-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Hopefully it will be an easy fix and you can get the Z back on the road!

Good Luck!!

Jim

LeoLily
08-02-2005, 10:41 AM
As always, Thank You, Thank You!! I am forwarding Mom's info to my FIL's mechanic in Mobley, MO!! We hope to be "thundering down the road" very soon!! Lily

ET-VIPER
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
i am south of kansas city mo. i can work on our z.let me know if i can help.

steve

LeoLily
08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
I appreciate the offer. My FIL has a ZR1 mechanic who has done all the work on his car since he bought it new in '90 so I 'spect he will keep using him. However, I will gladly pass your offer on to him just in case! (Ya' never know!!)

Lily