PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Guys I have some kind of sensor on the passanger side of motor really hard to reach, but oil is leaking out of it, not around it but out of it through the part that plugs in?it right near the and below the oil filter toward the back of motor, where can I buy one and what is its function. Thanks. Also broke the bolt on the back of my alternator does anyone have a used unit for sale.?

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:49 PM
It sounds like the Oil Temperature Sensor. It is rightnext to the belt tensioner.

WyattEurp
12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
i am having the same trouble out of my 90 zr-1
i have the entire front of car apart so i can reach it but i can't figure out any way to remove it, sockets don't fit, once you get a socket on it no room for a rachet so any help will be greatly appreiciated on this subject, The correct name is Oil Pressure Switch, so it is not the acctual gauge sensor i don't think
i all ready have the new unit, purchased at my GM dealer for $15. i just can't get them switched out.

HELp

Jeffvette
12-02-2005, 03:13 AM
Look in the picture, is it the one in front of the alternator? Or the one lower down on the oil filter housing?

http://www.pnwzr1.net/Registry%20project%202/27.JPG

Tyler Townsley
12-02-2005, 05:32 PM
i am having the same trouble out of my 90 zr-1
i have the entire front of car apart so i can reach it but i can't figure out any way to remove it, sockets don't fit, once you get a socket on it no room for a rachet so any help will be greatly appreiciated on this subject, The correct name is Oil Pressure Switch, so it is not the acctual gauge sensor i don't think
i all ready have the new unit, purchased at my GM dealer for $15. i just can't get them switched out.

HELp

You are correct it is just a switch that turns on an idot light on the dash that says no/low oil pressure. I used a egr socket (take the sender to pep boys to find the correct socket) a short 3in 3/8 drive swivel socket wrench and patience. Some have removed the oil filter support to get at it. Since this sensor is not shown in the 90-92 manual most do not know it is there.

Tyler