PDA

View Full Version : Run through 1st and 2nd... then what?

Aurora40
07-29-2005, 01:57 PM
So, when you all are just driving around on the street, what do you do after you run up through the first 2 gears? That puts the car (with stock gearing) over 80mph... I mean, I can't hardly just keep going in 3rd? So what do you do? Just toss it in 5th or something?

It's sort of a shame, though, as by 2nd you can start to appreciate the power, and then you pretty much have to stop just as it's getting interesting.

zr1mom
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Look at it more like the fact that you can go up to 80 in second. :D

In racing this is a big advantage as shifting only slows you down.

:thumbsup:

Kevin
07-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Long freeway on ramps are your new best friend.

Jim Jones
07-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Getting to about 70-75 on an on-ramp is about as far as I go and then I just put it in 5th or 6th. BUT, for those brief seconds, and I do mean brief :D, it is absolutely thrilling!!!

Nick
07-31-2005, 10:05 AM
If there's room I'll grab third gear. If not, I usually go directly from second gear to fourth gear.

Kevin
07-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Getting to about 70-75 on an on-ramp is about as far as I go and then I just put it in 5th or 6th. BUT, for those brief seconds, and I do mean brief :D, it is absolutely thrilling!!!

I hit 100+ twice yesterday while merging onto the interstate. And 80+ laying the smack down on an SL500 (or something like that)

Jim Jones
08-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I know what you mean. It isn't hard to get it up there. I drove to work today and it was like "Uh oh, here I am at 85. I better slow down!"

RiceEatingZR1
08-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Long freeway on ramps are your new best friend.

I would Agree. I love on Ramps .. when Im around town it depends sometimes I shift into 5th some times I let up and go to 3rd. but getting on the freeway is the highlight of my Drives. :)

Aurora40
08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I suppose the fact that it pulls through 1st and 2nd so quickly means that you can do it a bit more often as you don't need so much room. Just today I hit 90+ on the way in to work and was wishing I had more space. I was in 5th gear too... :jawdrop:

It's pretty easy to hit those speeds with just reasonable gaps in traffic, and still have time to slow back down (I don't like to drive fast with cars around me). It's pretty crazy. What a great car!

zr1mom
08-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I remember the first time I drove a ZR-1. I was riding down to Carlisle with a friend of mine in his ZR-1. We pulled off the highway to get something to eat. When we walked back to the ZR he said "you drive".

Didn't need to ask me twice! As I was going up the on ramp back onto the highway what I thought taking me time my buddy looked over and asked me "do you know how fast you are going?" I said no and looked down to see I was doing over 80mph. I could not believe how easy it was to drive fast in ths car. I bought one a month later. :thumbsup:

L8apex
08-01-2005, 08:30 PM
I hit a ramp going to work that is about 1/2 mile long, between trees, and straight as an arrow. If I time it right I can enter it at 50mph winding 2nd, run through 3rd, and get back to 65 or so by the time I hang a right and enter the "Trooper Zone"

Even better it is just far enough from home to get the oil heated up nice.

Co-Workers can always tell when I drive the ZR-1 to work, nothing can wipe the grin off my face for the first hour or so.

Kevin
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I remember the first time I drove a ZR-1. I was riding down to Carlisle with a friend of mine in his ZR-1. We pulled off the highway to get something to eat. When we walked back to the ZR he said "you drive".

Didn't need to ask me twice! As I was going up the on ramp back onto the highway what I thought taking me time my buddy looked over and asked me "do you know how fast you are going?" I said no and looked down to see I was doing over 80mph. I could not believe how easy it was to drive fast in ths car. I bought one a month later. :thumbsup:

Maybe I should let you drive mine this year dave. Maybe you will get one again.

ZWILD1
09-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I wish sometime I could drive a Z with the stock gear set just to see what it is like. My car has the earlier 4:10 gears . I use 4th in the 1/4, and 6th on the highway. :mrgreen:

phrogs
09-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I usually just put it into 5th gear after 2nd got to get a jump out onto the 4 lane I live off of everyone is usually doing 70 and its a 55 zone I have to keep my pratice up on my shifts:thumbsup:

Gasman57
09-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I have 4.56 gears in my '95, so I get to do all kinds of shifting. It definitely ups the fun factor in street driving big time.:mrgreen: