PDA

View Full Version : 1990 ZR1 dyno'd today - question

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:00 PM
The dyno shop ran the first 2 runs on 3rd gear and the last run on 4th. The results were about 10 rwhp and 10 ft./lbs. torque between 3rd and 4th gears with 4th gear being stronger. Is it supposed to matter what gear? If so what is the ideal gear for a dyno run in a 1990 ZR1? Also, they ran my C5 on 2nd gear on all 3 runs and I wasnt impressed by the results; the car feels stronger than the results. THANX, Ray.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Tell us what the results were. I have always heard you need to run the pulls in 4th gear as that is a 1 to 1 ratio. I pulled 324rwhp stock.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:01 PM
I pulled a 321 rwhp and 320 torque with ambient temp. at 70 degrees F and the engine temp. over the halfway mark - this was the third run with the motor running hot. The other thing is, these guys dont dyno vettes and they didnt have anything pushing air into the intake box - I'm new at this so I didnt realize that 'til after. Nice numbers on your 92 - I guess I'm pretty close to what it should be - so 4th gear it is. I will inform these guys. THANX WEGONE, Ray.

Anonymous
12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Ray,Welcome to the ZR-1 world and Congrats on the Z. I just put a Flowmaster catback on mine in Nov. and have not had an opportunity to get a new Dyno run to see the gains. If you ever get in the Atlanta area, let me know. Check out the LT5 Registry they put out a great magazine. Steve

Anonymous
Steve,Speaking of exhaust I have been going back and forth on that. Are you happy with your exhaust upgrade? I would like something that has more of a presence as I find the stock exhaust way too sound conservative for a ZR1. I like aggressive exhaust notes from idle to redline. I have a C5 with Borla XR-1's (yes, I am that insane) which is a bit much for most folks but I like it (wife hates riding it - HEADACHE!). I'd love to hear feedback on your FlowM's and more importantly, the dyno #'s. I'll let you know if ever I find myself in Atlanta. Let me know if ever you come to the SF bay area.All the best,Ray

Anonymous
Ray,I am very happy with the Flowmaster’s, great sound at idle and through 4 K rpms and no resonance at cruse. At WOT you still hear more intake draw than exhaust. From what I have read I should expect somewhere from an 8 to 15 RWHP gain. I think the best gains are with B&B.Steve