PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Wedding

bobbyhi
08-04-2008, 08:24 PM
:occasion1 Most of you have probably seen and read some of DaveK posts on the forum over the last couple of years. Well, Dave is getting married on Sept 6, 2008 to his long time girlfriend Hilary. They are really great people and wanted to let the members know of his upcoming wedding.

Dave, you didn't think that I would let this day pass without letting the guys know what was happening did you!!:mrgreen: Best of luck and congrats - you are getting one mighty fine woman :thumbsup:

WB9MCW
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Congrats Dave ---- do one for the gipper!!

DaveK
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I just spotted this and wondered "who on the forum is getting married?" :o

I am definitely getting a fine woman that's for sure. As an example of how lucky I am, the wedding was originally going to be last year but when we did our financial projections we realised that a ZR-1 was finally possible. It was Hilary who urged me to look for and eventually buy the Z and was also the one that suggested we should put the wedding off for a year in order to be able to do that.

She has always supported me 100% and indulges both my whims and eccentricities.

With the prep for the wedding this year we haven't had chance to do much with the ZR-1 in terms of road trips and cruises and it's been sorely missed. I haven't had chance to keep up on the forum as much as I'd like but nevertheless it and the HOB have been great in keeping in touch with things. We had hoped to do the Gathering this time but then realised we'd need to save our vacation for when the family came over. Next year we intend getting a lot more seat time though.

I also have to give a big thank you to Bob. He was very supportive when I started looking around at possible purchases and helped with both advice and encouragement. A true gentleman and a nicer person you couldn't wish to meet.

:cheers:

p.s. sorry if I've missed something - what's a gipper? :confused:

WB9MCW
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
what's a gipper?

Dear Yahoo!:
Who is the Gipper from the saying, "one for the Gipper?"
Gayle
Quesnel, Canada

Dear Gayle:
Ronald Reagan was the Gipper.
But that was just in the movies. In real life, George Gipp was the Gipper. Born in 1895, George was a varsity athlete at the University of Notre Dame from 1917 to 1920. While planning to pursue a career in baseball, he was convinced by legendary college coach Knute Rockne to play football as well. He led the Fighting Irish to a 27-2-3 record, playing both offense and defense. Several of his records still stand today. We learned most of this at The Official Web Site of George "the Gipper" Gipp.

So how did the saying come about? Well, there's the sad part of the story. It seems that Gipp caught a throat infection during one of his final football games at Notre Dame. He died a few weeks later at the age of 25. Just before his death, he told Coach Rockne, "Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong and the breaks are beating the boys - tell them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then, Rock. But I'll know about it, and I'll be happy."

This deathbed request and the legendary pep talk it provided eight years later is chronicled in the motion picture, Knute Rockne: All American. That's where Ronald Reagan comes in. He played the Gipper in the 1940 film.

The actually phrase, "That one was for the Gipper," was supposedly uttered by halfback Jack Chevigny immediately after he vaulted for a one-yard touchdown in the 1928 Notre Dame victory inspired by Rockne's recounting of Gipp's request.

To pay your respects to a great athlete who passed away much too soon, visit the Grave Site of George Gipp. >>> http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1595

DaveK
08-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation Bryan - I can honestly say I have never heard of that before! :)

I'll certainly do my best to "do one for the Gipper" ;)

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Z Factor
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I just spotted this and wondered "who on the forum is getting married?" :o

I am definitely getting a fine woman that's for sure. As an example of how lucky I am, the wedding was originally going to be last year but when we did our financial projections we realised that a ZR-1 was finally possible. It was Hilary who urged me to look for and eventually buy the Z and was also the one that suggested we should put the wedding off for a year in order to be able to do that.

She has always supported me 100% and indulges both my whims and eccentricities.

Well most of the time an announcement like this is a cry for help and all the buddies try to figure out how to save their friend from impending doom. However there are rare exceptions when the guy finds the right woman, so if he must be incarcerated, it wont be that bad.
In this case based on your description it sounds like you have indeed found the right one based on the ZR-1 story alone.

So best of luck and congratulations.

DaveK
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Well most of the time an announcement like this is a cry for help and all the buddies try to figure out how to save their friend from impending doom. However there are rare exceptions when the guy finds the right woman, so if he must be incarcerated, it wont be that bad.
In this case based on your description it sounds like you have indeed found the right one based on the ZR-1 story alone.

So best of luck and congratulations.

Thanks Z Factor - I appreciate that very much. :)