PDA

View Full Version : ECM Harness

bike01
06-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Can you disasemble the connectors to the ECM. Iv'e had a stalling / high idle problem for some time, I've tried everything to correct it. Now twice with the car idleing at 2300 rpm I've pulled gently and moved the harnesses going to the back of the ECM and the idle drops to normal.
But the IAC doesn't move after that. It's like whatever setting it should be when I move the harness just right just stays, like the ECM is not talking to the IAC.

Over the weekend I disconnected the ECM, checked out the wires and connectors and pins, they all looked good. I suspect I have a female pin in one of the plugs that connects to the ECM that may be corroded or not getting a good connection. When I connected it all back up, the idle was perfect, drove it for a while with lots of stops and could not get it to fail. It hasn't acted this good in a long time. I suspect that during the disconnect / reconnect of the ECM one of the wires was twisted just enouph to make a good contact and correct the problem, and the problem will probably return.

Can I remove the female pins in the ECM connectors somehow to check the connections from the wiring harness to the female connectors, and repair them if I see something wrong, or possible clean them.

Jeffvette
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes, you can remove the wires coming into the 4 colored connectors of the ECM. There is a special tool GM techs use to get it out, but apparently a paper clip will suffice in the meantime.

bike01
06-27-2005, 03:46 PM
When looking at the back of the ECM connectors, there were several plastic pieces that looked as they must come off before you can get the wires out. Is this some kind of Rubic's cube or something, how do you get these plastic 'holders' off the back of the plugs so you can get to the ECM wires and connectors.

I'm assuming you stick the paper clip in from the backside of the connector to push in on a clip to allow you to pull the wire out?