PDA

View Full Version : GMHTP Supercar Shootout

Rick@GMHTP
06-20-2005, 09:33 PM
In honor of GM High-Tech Performance’s 10th Anniversary, the GMHTP staff is planning a supercar shootout to be held at New Jersey’s Englishtown Raceway Park in summer 2005.

We are looking for the fastest, rarest, and nicest examples of EFI GM performance vehicles produced in the last 20 years. Those chosen will spend 1-2 days drag racing and having their vehicles photographed for an upcoming shootout article in GMHTP.

For this particular shootout, we are only looking for production-based vehicles made by GM, or those created in official partnership with GM. In general, if you could check a specific option box when ordering the vehicle, you’re okay. No aftermarket “tuner” cars please.

This is a drag racing event but it is NOT a competition; as such, because of the historical significance of having these rare vehicles together we will only invite owners of STOCK, UNMODIFIED vehicles who are willing and able to thrash them on the dragstrip in front of God, everybody, and our cameras!

Exceptions to “stock”:

Only if original-type air filter is unavailable, aftermarket STOCK LOCATION/SIZE/SHAPE air filters that fit in the factory airbox are acceptable. No cone-type filters or intake systems allowed.

New street-tread tires are acceptable. No slicks or drag radials.

GM-UPGRADED PROMs or ECMs/GM-FLASHED ECMs are acceptable, with emissions/driveability/etc. changes only. NO PERFORMANCE TUNING OR PERFORMANCE CHIPS ARE ALLOWED.
Shifter may be upgraded to an aftermarket unit.

GMHTP is looking for the following vehicles:

405-HORSE CORVETTE Z06
405-HORSE CORVETTE ZR1
BUICK GNX
LT4 F-BODY
1989 TURBO TRANS AM
SYCLONE/TYPHOON
THIRD/FOURTH GEN FIREHAWKS
WS6/SS LS1 F-BODY
2005 400-HORSE GTO

Additionally, there will be a “wild card” F-body slot open to all third and fourth-gens with any engine. This car could be a factory lightweight, uniquely optioned (example: WS6 Formula, Turbo Trans Am hardtop/cloth seats, etc.) or ? Surprise us—but remember, it has to be stock.

Due to the rarity of the above mentioned vehicles, we may choose multiple examples of some vehicles.

Time is of the essence, so send the following information ASAP via email to

Rick.jensen@primedia.com

Three digital photos: engine, interior, and exterior
Information about your proposed entry
Contact phone numbers

We prefer email submissions, but if you must arrange for alternate submission methods, please call 201-712-9300 extension 618.

THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS TUESDAY, JULY 5, 2005

THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!

Jeffvette
06-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Black Widow qualify?

Rick@GMHTP
06-29-2005, 09:32 PM
We would consider a Black Widow for future shootouts, but due to their DRM background, not for this shootout.

Thanks!

Z Factor
06-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Hello Rick, thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum. :handshak:

:cheers:

Rick@GMHTP
07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
LAST CHANCE TO APPLY!

I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE A STOCK ZR1 OWNER OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO DRAG RACE FOR FREE AT ENGLISHTOWN!

Z Factor, thanks for the welcome!

Aurora40
07-06-2005, 01:00 PM
LAST CHANCE TO APPLY!

I KNOW THERE HAS TO BE A STOCK ZR1 OWNER OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO DRAG RACE FOR FREE AT ENGLISHTOWN!

Z Factor, thanks for the welcome!

Well, there are a lot fewer of the 405hp ZR-1's than there are of the 375hp ones.

Rick@GMHTP
07-07-2005, 09:37 PM
My apologies, as I am not very well versed in ZR1 405 vs. 375 Horse models.

What is the breakdown?

Thanks for the heads-up, Aurora40.

Are there any ZR1s period interested in such a shootout?

Aurora40
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
My apologies, as I am not very well versed in ZR1 405 vs. 375 Horse models.

What is the breakdown?

Thanks for the heads-up, Aurora40.

Are there any ZR1s period interested in such a shootout?

The 375hp motor was 1990-1992. There were about 3,000 1990's 2,000 1991's and 500 1992's (roughly).

The 405hp motor was 1993-1995. I believe each year had just under 500 cars produced.

So there are roughly 5,000 375hp cars, and under 1,500 405hp cars.

I might be interested, but what are the dates, times (Englishtown is a few hours from me), and what's required from owners and cars?

Rick@GMHTP
07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
To show up with a stock car, have photos taken, eat lunch, and make as many or as few quarter-mile runs down E-town's strip as you want.

Track will be fully prepped, and chances are we'll only run one lane to avoid the possibility of incidents with other cars. EMTs will be on hand, as per NJ law.

Event will take place in early August.

We won't be asking owners of such rare and valuable vehicles to abuse them (despite my above "thrash" comment!), however we would like good-faith quarter-mile efforts from each vehicle.

We'd really like to have a ZR1 here.

Thanks,

Rick
GMHTP

Kevin
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
If it wasn't so far away I'd drag my 90 out there, but
a) you aren't looking for a 90
b) it is far away.

ZROne
08-03-2005, 01:43 AM
...and alot of us who have 93-95's have gone way beyond stock :)

Look forward to the article though, will be interesting to see how they all compare.

Chris
1994 ZR1 (Yellow)