PDA

View Full Version : Stock car, best way to do a burnout?

Aurora40
05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I tried doing some 2nd gear burnouts today. I gave it gas up to about 3,500 rpm and let the clutch out fast, but didnt' sidestep it. The tires hooked up and just bogged the car...

I could get it to smoke 'em in 1st easily, though the car jolts forward so it's hard to lay down a smokescreen.

My rears are 8 years old so I'm looking to shorten their life a lot and get new ones. Any tips on how to do a good burnout that is easy on the mechanicals? Thanks! :cheers:

Aurora40
05-24-2005, 10:32 PM
No one else does this, ehh? ;)

tomtom72
05-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Aurora40, I don't because I'm too scared of breaking something before BG in June! :-D Besides I don't know how to do it in a vette, all those u-joints don't look to easy to get to on a C4. Tom.

rkreigh
05-26-2005, 04:16 PM
with street tires a burnout doesn't really do all that much good.

but with drag radials and slicks it helps quite a bit..

pull around the water box and back into the water (this keeps the front tire tread from dragging water onto track)

do a spin to get the tires wet by bringing up rpms to around 2k and popping the clutch

pull forward out of the water box, bring up revs to around 3k, pop the clutch while holding down the throttle and braking at the same time.

this is a bit trickey, and a line lock really helps but since most of us don't have them, I put the heel on the brake and toe on the throttle.

with 4.10 gears you can start out in second, and once you get good at this, you can shift and keep the tires spinning.

you don't need to be john force, just spin the tires for about 3-5 seconds, and pull immediately to the line with the tires hot.

again, with street tires, just a good "dry hop" is all you really need. most radials will just get "greasy" with a big burn out and won't hook up well at all.

shoot for a 60 ft time in the 1.8 - 2.0 range. better than that, you are doing great, worse than that, keep practicing. the zr1 is a really hard car to launch because the springs are so stiff and the car is heavy and doesn't weight transfer all that well.

good luck!!!

Aurora40
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh, I was trying to do this just to smoke 'em. The rears are 8 year old tires so I'm thinking I should replace them. But I thought I could send the GS-C's out in a blaze of white smoke. :)