PDA

View Full Version : Objectivity? How?

Paul Workman
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
The age old, this vs. that polish/wax arguement(s)... What are some "scientific" ways to objectively evaluate such things as shine, depth of same, etc. that could be used to evaluate verious products over specific intervals under controlled conditions?? Surely, somebody has done this or wondered, "How shiny is it...REALLY??"

TIA

P.

tomtom72
05-01-2008, 06:48 AM
A long time ago...in a far off ......oops, I was thinking of a movie trailer. I went to Meguire's web site and they had a section where they outlined how they did their testing to see who's stuff lasted longer, was glossier, etc...don't know if that would be of any use.

I think that I remember seeing the same thing on a few of the detail supply on-line store web sites...ya know like autogeek, autopia, clasic motoring accessories, detailer's paradise. I know that autopia has a forum where the members are fairly hard-core....even CF has a car care section when those guys are hard core and there maybe some threads with actual picts of "here's my ride & this side has product X and this side product Y" ....

Another place that I recently visited, chemicalguys.com, may have an evaluation section...don't know for sure.

:cheers:
Tom

tomcat
05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
The age old, this vs. that polish/wax arguement(s)... What are some "scientific" ways to objectively evaluate such things as shine, depth of same, etc. that could be used to evaluate verious products over specific intervals under controlled conditions?? Surely, somebody has done this or wondered, "How shiny is it...REALLY??"

TIA

P.

I used a polish called "Ultra Finish" out of New York. I tried to get some more but my friend told me that someone has bought the company. I have tried Adams & McGuire products & they worked fine.

Manfred E............
91 ZR1 #906

Aurora40
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Things like appearance are very subjective, and also vary by the color of your car, the type of paint, etc. Even things like wax durability can vary by your environment, and even paint quality. I had a car with checked clearcoat that any synthetic wax would perform poorly on. Paste carnauba waxes lasted quite well on it. But the same synthetic waxes on my other cars held up fine.

However, one thing you can do, like Tom said, is to half-and-half test products. I have done this for things like durability of waxes, etc. I used to do tests like this on the hood of my daily driver often.

Ultimately though, what is really more important than "is this this best", is, "is this something I will use often and enjoy".